7.1 Receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Why did you spell paranoid wrong? What are you hiding?

But, seriously, they've had at least one mod who had a very itchy delete finger. They showed him the door, eventually. But, it has happened here before. It could happen again.

Hehe, because I type fast and fail to use spell check ;) I remember who you are talking about and you're right, they mods here do a good job of taking care of any issues that arise in that area.

Will my Blu-ray play Dolby HD through optical?

Would I be missing out on anything if I go with a 75w x 7 vs 110w x 7?

No, but the more headroom you have the less chance of distortion. I have a Yamaha AV amp rated @ 105 WPC and it's plenty loud without distorting thanks to having ample power to begin with.

Dolby TrueHD does not pass through an optical or coax connection. You need a AMP that can use that audio through HDMI. There is no way around this.

I was told that using optical is the best way to listen to DD in 5.1. I use optical- my amp doesn't have a HTMI connection, but the sound is great.

Not long ago DD 5.1 used to be one of the best audio formats (compared to Dolby Prologic and such). How things have changed with HD DVD and Blu-ray! Now DD is your worst choice (compared to DD+, Dolby TrueHD, multi-chanel LPCM, or even multi-channel analog)! :D

DTS was, and is, a better 5.1 format that has been around for quite some time on SD DVD's.
DTS is not mandatory on DVDs, AC3 is.

When set up properly (i.e. same SPL), you would be hard pressed to hear the difference between the two.

Diogen.

I for one have no problem hearing the additional depth and clarity offered by DTS versus DD (setup correctly), is it huge, no, but noticeable and preferred by my ears and listening environment; but considering 5.1 is on the way out it is becoming a moot point.