7.5' Unimesh ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

purenrg

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Dallas TX
I have the chance to get a 7.5 Unimesh for the taking. Just wondering if I should wait for a 10'-12' or go with a 7.5'er, is there that much difference? I live in the Dallas FT.Worth TX area will this dish be enough ?

Thanks all

I have the chance to get a 7.5 Unimesh for the taking. Just wondering if I should wait for a 10'-12' or go with a 7.5'er, is there that much difference? I live in the Dallas FT.Worth TX area will this dish be enough ?
Thanks all

Whether it's big enough depends on what you are after, it won't match a 12 footer. But I like that model Unimesh dish, and free is a pretty good price for one. It will give you some practice getting set up until you find your bigger dish. That 7.5' takes up little room when broken down and stored in the basement.

If it's free why not? You can always upgrade later. There will be a differences, because
the bigger dish's will give you the 2 deg. spacing between satellites. (Less interferences
from other satellites and more signal.)

Thanks all

Is it a C band or C/Ku band???

I have a couple waiting for me to harvest that are C/Ku band. :up

They are a pretty popular dish in my area! :)

I'm not sure Dan what lnb is being used, it has a cover on it I couldn't tell you the deference between a Ku or C lnb. I fill a little stupid to say this but I'm new to this Bud dish thing. I just know that it has the small mesh.

Been using a 7 footer for 15 years on C and Ku with great results. While bigger is better from a signal perspective, the reverse is true for long term durability and maintaining aim at the arc.

I'm not sure Dan what lnb is being used, it has a cover on it I couldn't tell you the deference between a Ku or C lnb. I fill a little stupid to say this but I'm new to this Bud dish thing. I just know that it has the small mesh.

When you get her home you can look under the cover to see for sure or peek when you are taking it down. A lot of BUDs were set up using ribbon cable to hook up the lnb(s), motor and sensor which has all wires in one neat cable molded together. In my area it is common to see the ribbon cable have only one coax running under the cover and the other cut off which usually means C band only. It seems like this was a practice of a local BUD mega dealer. I often wonder what happened when the person wanted to upgrade to Ku and the coax was cut short! I gues it could be spliced or go to Radio Shack and ask for a wire stretcher!!!! :D

A lot of people use the BUD for C band in addition to a small dedicated Ku dish so Ku might not be important. Do not feel stupid there is alot of stuff to learn about. You can get real deep trying to learn everything or just pick up on the basics and enjoy! ;)

...I live in the Dallas FT.Worth TX area will this dish be enough ?

There are people up north getting by with 7 1/2 foot BUDs and you being that far south should be an advantage for a smaller dish. There are quite a few 10 footers and just a couple 12 foots scattered in my area but I am surprised on how many are under 10 foot near me. Are there many 10 footers in your area???

Take the dish they do not make them like that any more i have 71/2 and a 10 ft UNIMASH dishes

only 1 type

Is it a C band or C/Ku band???

I have a couple waiting for me to harvest that are C/Ku band. :up

They are a pretty popular dish in my area! :)

They only made the 7.5 as a C/Ku dish. There were 8 & 10 fts that came in C only. The size of the hole in the mesh indicates that it is Ku.

They only made the 7.5 as a C/Ku dish. There were 8 & 10 fts that came in C only. The size of the hole in the mesh indicates that it is Ku.

Thanks for the info Whatchel1, Well were there any 8,10,12 that were c/ku? And I guess Unimesh are no longer in business?

ALWAYS get the free ones!

I have taken down several Unimesh dishes that were using polarotor C + Ku feed assys. One was from a guy that set his 922 out for the trash about a month before I stopped and asked about the dish!:yikes:river:rant:
I've got one 10 footer in service as a C/KU setup now and the another will be when I get around to setting a new pole.
It will be at a better location than my 7.5' Uninesh is occupying now (which is also in service providing C/Ku polarotor feed).
I'll prolly leave the 7.5' up for my "throw down" dish after I install the other 10 footer.

Screw HOAs......lol

ALWAYS get the free ones!

I have taken down several Unimesh dishes that were using polarotor C + Ku feed assys. One was from a guy that set his 922 out for the trash about a month before I stopped and asked about the dish!:yikes:river:rant:
I've got one 10 footer in service as a C/KU setup now and the another will be when I get around to setting a new pole.
It will be at a better location than my 7.5' Uninesh is occupying now (which is also in service providing C/Ku polarotor feed).
I'll prolly leave the 7.5' up for my "throw down" dish after I install the other 10 footer.

Screw HOAs......lol

My favorite Unimesh is my 5 footer. Cool dish, has a beefy look to it. If I find another, I'm taking it home if the owner will part with it. Rare dish around here.

Thanks for the info!

I better take a tape measure with me when I am looking at BUDs. I saw a couple C band Unimesh dishes that I thought were 7.5 footers but they must be 8 footers! ;)

My favorite Unimesh is my 5 footer. Cool dish, has a beefy look to it. If I find another, I'm taking it home if the owner will part with it. Rare dish around here.
I've got a couple of those too, and know where two more are. I dont know how well they will perform for 2° compliance though. Ive considered setting one up as a dedicated Ku and seeing how it does, but that project doesnt even make the 1st page of the "to do" list.....lol

I've got a couple of those too, and know where two more are. I dont know how well they will perform for 2° compliance though. Ive considered setting one up as a dedicated Ku and seeing how it does, but that project doesnt even make the 1st page of the "to do" list.....lol

I got it for NHK at 58° West. These dishes are little jewels, maybe not practical for much, but they're, um, cute.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)