7.5ft Mesh Bud, maybe MTI?

Captain Midnight

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
Greers Ferry, Arkansas
Just added another 7.5ft dish to my collection after stopping and asking a man just a few miles down the road if I could take one in his backyard off his hands. I posted it in a group on Facebook and one person thought it could be a MTI dish. I'm not familiar with them. Any thoughts?

The feedcover says ODOM on it. The horn is a Chaparral and looks like it is fused to the scalar ring. No way to change f/D.

Actuator is a Von Weise V76-5 that I need to test.

Attachments

• 20200501_182419.jpg
    20200501_182419.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 265
  • 20200501_194259.jpg
    20200501_194259.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 253
  • 20200501_194306.jpg
    20200501_194306.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 232
  • 20200502_003321.jpg
    20200502_003321.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 244
I have no idea what it is but pretty sure there was a dish manufacturer named ODOM back in the day.

Sounds like the price was right though, nice grab.

It should be a very usable dish if you spend some time to get it all tweaked up perfectly, like my SAMI 7.5 dish. It won't likely be really good for KU, but C-band will do fairly well. I highly recommend you change out the feed for a Titanium C1-PLL or C2-PLL.

It should be a very usable dish if you spend some time to get it all tweaked up perfectly, like my SAMI 7.5 dish. It won't likely be really good for KU, but C-band will do fairly well. I highly recommend you change out the feed for a Titanium C1-PLL or C2-PLL.
That is what I am hoping for. I have a 7.5 SAMI currently that picks up nearly everything on 40w to 133w except for some of the occasional feeds. I am still searching for a 10ft for those abilities.

primestar31 said:
My 7.5 KTI mesh dish works just fine for Ku. If a 3ft pizza pan wil pull Ku why wouldn't a 7.5ft mesh? Saying it won't work because it's mesh is an old wive's tale, it certainly will if set up properly, especially as far south as the OP is. I have both and the KTI scans in everything the GeoSatPro does.

Reactions: Captain Midnight

Would a servo feedhorn and a high quality LNB like a Norsat 5150 do any better than the LNBF? I have a C2-PLL on my SAMI with great results. I know some people swear by the old school servo motor feedhorns...

I wouldn't mind experimenting with Ku on a BUD, but I have a 4ft commercial Channel Master offset for Ku now. No way that would be beaten by a 7.5' mesh bud, right?

Correct, not from what I've seen.

Would a servo feedhorn and a high quality LNB like a Norsat 5150 do any better than the LNBF? I have a C2-PLL on my SAMI with great results. I know some people swear by the old school servo motor feedhorns...

Since it's not at least a 10 foot dish, I don't think there would be much of an advantage to purchasing a new feedhorn, and new Norsat lnb, over the easier to use Titanium c1-pll type lnbf.

Reactions: Captain Midnight
Correct, not from what I've seen.

Since it's not at least a 10 foot dish, I don't think there would be much of an advantage to purchasing a new feedhorn, and new Norsat lnb, over the easier to use Titanium c1-pll type lnbf.
This feedhorn on the dish now looks really nice for it's age. Would it not work instead of buying a new horn, assuming the servo works? Just curious if the new feedhorns are designed differently today than 25 years ago.

This feedhorn on the dish now looks really nice for it's age. Would it not work instead of buying a new horn, assuming the servo works? Just curious if the new feedhorns are designed differently today than 25 years ago.

It'll work as long as it's not corroded badly inside the waveguide, but the motor is likely bad, and would have to be replaced if so. Though they are available. Servo Motor

Harbor Freight sent a coupon for their electric power washer for $79.99, so I bit and got one. I have a siding that needs a little wash too, but now I can properly clean my dishes!

Attachments

• 20200519_191559.jpg
    20200519_191559.jpg
    795.3 KB · Views: 205
Reactions: FTA4PA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)