721 Feature Reduction - C'mon DISH !

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
If it's the same Doom that was available for the PC for years (3-D first perspective sci-fi/horror shoot-em-up?), it should be easy enough to find on the Internet somewhere, probably for free. Have you tried LimeWire file sharing? Maybe hit Google first.

GaryPen said:
Have you tried LimeWire file sharing?

Geez. I wouldn't recommend that spyware infested piece of crap to anyone. People PAY me to remove that kinda crap from their computers. The safest thing to use would be an actual bit torrent client.

mikew said:
You've gotta be joking right?

No, I'm not.
There's not much this thread is going to do to solve your problem because I doubt any of us here have access to the sourcecode, fix changes, and push them to your 721. In fact, I'd say that posting here has 0% chance of getting anything fixed at all, so all you end up with is just a place to vent. I guess that's what you wanted in the first place, just to vent. So perhaps that's good enough for you.
Calling Dish is the only way to get any changes made. Yes, the chance of it happening might only be 0.00001% but that is still infinitely better than 0%. At least, if enough people complain directly to them, they know there's a problem or need. Whether they choose to address it is up to them, unfortunately.

I realize it may not have been popular for me to use such aggregious language, however, I don't understand why so many folks are so quick to defend dish and insult the consumer. I thought that first and foremost, this was a site for consumers to discuss their issues with Dish.

but somethings, no amount of intra-consumer complaining is going to get fixed. At some point, you (or someone else) have to talk to the company.

don't go smart mouthing and belittling people for the sake of adding another post to your count.

the same applies to your response to mine, judging by the tone of it. but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and answer your question in earnest.

FWIW, I have filed bug reports and enhancement requests on numerous products before. Some gets ignored, like my posts in most boards, but once in a while, a request does get looked at. I continue to look at things from an optimistic point of view where even a infinitessimal possibility is better than 0. :)

It is known that some folks from Dish look at this stuff. I sent them an e-mail...they never responded. I called and, after about 20 minutes, determined they had no information on what was happening with the 721.

Yes..I came here to vent and hope that SOMEBODY at Dish may stumble across the thread.

The response from Dish comes !

Note: It says sent on 10/8. I recieved it today! It took almost 3 weeks to get this response. Thanks Dish !

Sent: Saturday, October 08, 2005 4:29 PM
To: Tech
Subject: FW: Sales & Equipment

Dear Mr. W,

Thank you for your email correspondence. Unfortunately, I do not have any information I do not have information on any future software updates.

Sincerely,

Mark H.

Technical Support

Dish Network

mikew said:
Unfortunately, I do not have any information I do not have information on any future software updates.

pretty funny typo, actually. he doesn't know what he doesn't know. :D

Subject: FW: Sales & Equipment

Just found it strange that you seem to have emailed their sales and equipment branch instead of tech support.

larrystotler said:
Geez. I wouldn't recommend that spyware infested piece of crap to anyone. People PAY me to remove that kinda crap from their computers. The safest thing to use would be an actual bit torrent client.
I hope they don't pay you much, since you don't even know that LimeWire has no spyware, and is perfectly safe. (Of course, one takes chances downloading ANY file. But, that's what background virus and spyware scanners are for.)

Simon - Don't be scared of it. You're a big boy. (And one who should know better.)

GaryPen said:
I hope they don't pay you much, since you don't even know that LimeWire has no spyware, and is perfectly safe. (Of course, one takes chances downloading ANY file. But, that's what background virus and spyware scanners are for.)

See this link:

http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/2002/cleanlimewire.html

It is full of that crap. Whatever claim they make is false. That would be like E* claiming they don't track what you watch with the phone connection like TiVo does. Not only that, but most of the file sharing sites it connects to send crap with it. Regardless, WinDoZe is a security nightmare, and this isn't the place to argue about it.

E* does not track viewing habits via their receivers. If they did, someone would have caught them by now and we'd be hearing about the lawsuit (since E* has publicly stated they do not track individual viewing habits, outside of PPV for billing). The phone connection is the easiest, most automated way to order PPV and it serves a security purpose in that they can ensure that the STBs are in one basic location- not shared across several households on one account.

Before making accusations, you might try to have facts to back them up.

This article discusses how Tivo tracks individual viewing habits, but none of their competitors do. Nothing has changed since the article was written. However, one day maybe they will all do it. Let's keep the conspiracy theories to what might happen, not what is supposedly happening secretly today.

navychop said:
E* does not track viewing habits via their receivers. If they did, someone would have caught them by now and we'd be hearing about the lawsuit (since E* has publicly stated they do not track individual viewing habits, outside of PPV for billing). The phone connection is the easiest, most automated way to order PPV and it serves a security purpose in that they can ensure that the STBs are in one basic location- not shared across several households on one account.
Before making accusations, you might try to have facts to back them up.

This is a quote from Skyreport:

Ergen and the board spoke to the advertising implications with the recent agreement between EchoStar and Nielsen Media Research saying the information will enable the company to tell advertisers who is watching what; "something we haven't been able to do in the past."

How else do you think they would be able to make this agreement? The phone connection on the new DVRs - 522/625/942(and possibly 322).

And I DO do my research, thank you very much.

larrystotler said:
See this link:

http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/2002/cleanlimewire.html

It is full of that crap. Whatever claim they make is false. That would be like E* claiming they don't track what you watch with the phone connection like TiVo does. Not only that, but most of the file sharing sites it connects to send crap with it. Regardless, WinDoZe is a security nightmare, and this isn't the place to argue about it.
Ummm. That article is from 2002. That's basically the Stone Age, or at least Bronze Age, in computer industry years. (Also, for argument's sake, why do you assume that article to be accurate?)

In any case, LimeWire is clean now. But, you go ahead believeing what you want, if it makes you happy. :D

(I was just trying to help Simon find a copy of the classic game, Doom.)

As has been posted before, the agreement has E* paying Nielson for the data NIELSON collects.- So E* can use that w/their advertisers to to set rates. Nielson already collects the data, but E* previously refused to pay for it- now they've decided data from a 3 party source - even Nielson- will help them set ad rates with some "objectivity."

GaryPen said:
Ummm. That article is from 2002. That's basically the Stone Age, or at least Bronze Age, in computer industry years. (Also, for argument's sake, why do you assume that article to be accurate?)

In any case, LimeWire is clean now. But, you go ahead believeing what you want, if it makes you happy. :D

(I was just trying to help Simon find a copy of the classic game, Doom.)

Regardless, 90% of people who use Limewire use it to illegally aquire copy protected material. Having used OS/2 from 1991 - 1997 and Linux from 1998 on, I do the FTP route and download Free Software. I wasn't trying to start a debate or flame M$, just stating that every computer I have worked on that has LimeWire, eDonkey, Kaaza, etc and Windows is a security nightmare. Personally, I use an old PowerMac 7500(heavily upgraded) with a 20" screen and Linux to surf the net. And that is all it does. Too many people load all their personal info onto their computer and don't use a firewall or a router with a firewall and their info is wide open. It's one thing to do business on-line securely, it's another to let people have unrestriced access to your PC. A few years ago, iD software released the Quake engine for free(but not the levels and artwork). There are some pretty cool freeware versions/clones of Doom/Quake out there.

navychop said:
As has been posted before, the agreement has E* paying Nielson for the data NIELSON collects.- So E* can use that w/their advertisers to to set rates. Nielson already collects the data, but E* previously refused to pay for it- now they've decided data from a 3 party source - even Nielson- will help them set ad rates with some "objectivity."

D* uses the D* TiVos to track what people watch through TiVo, and I am willing to bet that E* is doing it as well. It's too easy for them to do it now, and even if they aren't, they will probably start doing so anytime. Hence the extra incentives to keep the receiver plugged in. And, the article I quoted did not say where the info was coming from. I do know that if you are a neilson family, and get a TiVo, that the remove the neilson stuff. I had to do it a while back when a customer got a D*TiVo. when I got there, Neilson was there removing their equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts