721 Feature Reduction - C'mon DISH !

mikew is not the jerk here

you guys are being total jerks, condescending, mocking of his valid complaint, and then being even worse when he doesn't take your insults with good humor.

before the internet there was a newspaper, so why don't we just pull the plug on all your connections and then if you try to complain, well, it's your fault for not picking up the damn paper.

oh, and before ESPN there were radio updates and the late news 3 minute sport reports with local teams only. clearly that should be enough for everyone, no?

iKramerica said:
you guys are being total jerks, condescending, mocking of his valid complaint, and then being even worse when he doesn't take your insults with good humor.

before the internet there was a newspaper, so why don't we just pull the plug on all your connections and then if you try to complain, well, it's your fault for not picking up the damn paper.

oh, and before ESPN there were radio updates and the late news 3 minute sport reports with local teams only. clearly that should be enough for everyone, no?
all anyone was saying is that the dishhome feature doesn't seem all that it is cracked up to be and most people get there score updates from espnnews, imho the sportingnews on dish home is worthless it takes too long to load so by the time it loads and you find your score there, you could have just flipped to espnnews and got that same score or on this site theres are scores provided by cbs sportsline
but to each their own,
if i offended you mike I apologize

thats why i apologized because if mike was offended by my comments thats was not my intention nor was it my intention to slam Mike

this is the type of thread youd see at dbstalk

I do have to agree that espn news is worthless to get scores off of that stupid ticker. If you blink your score already went by and you have to wait another twenty minutes for it to come back.

As far as the internet goes. Do you have kids? I don't but at some friends houses, who has kids, there is absolutely no way to get near a computer.

One thing for those that don't know.

Purogamer is one of those that seem to think that E* can do no wrong. I've seen him object to several VALID complaints about E* actions. :(

bhchan said:
wouldn't complaining to Dish directly be more useful? Call a CSR, they're paid to listen to your complaints.

You've gotta be joking right? A phone call will lead you to a CSR who will tell you they have no idea...probably even suggest doing a reboot and a check switch...

I sent an e-mail the same day I posted this...no response

Other functionality that has changed for the worse:

Folders have disappeared and the smart function it had when you'd record one episode after another doesn't work.

Example:

I record all 4 sitcoms on CBS on Monday night. I would set individual timers for each. There is the option of 1 min early and 3 min late. This option was ignored because the 721 knew it was recording the same channel, so all programs would record individually without demanding use of the second tuner to do so. Now, those shows will interrupt my viewing between shows to steal the other tuner in between.

As a work-around, I remember that if I extend the time of the first timer, all shows would be recorded. Last Monday, I changed the timer to record the first program, and extended the timer by 90 minutes. I go to view a show that started at 9:00, but the folder is gone. I now have to FF until I get to the program I want to see.

I realize it may not have been popular for me to use such aggregious language, however, I don't understand why so many folks are so quick to defend dish and insult the consumer. I thought that first and foremost, this was a site for consumers to discuss their issues with Dish.

Apologies all the way around for my profanity, but guys...don't go smart mouthing and belittling people for the sake of adding another post to your count. In the long run, it only shows a lack of respect for the poster and demonstrates your inability to recognize that once in a while, Dish does do things that are not very consumer friendly.

mikew, Thank you for the apologie and I'm sure everone (I hope) understands how upsetting it can be to use E* equipment at times. Lets hope E* will get it's act together at some point.

bpickell said:
I do have to agree that espn news is worthless to get scores off of that stupid ticker. If you blink your score already went by and you have to wait another twenty minutes for it to come back.

As far as the internet goes. Do you have kids? I don't but at some friends houses, who has kids, there is absolutely no way to get near a computer.

There's a difference in having kids, and having monsters. If you have kids you should be able to get near a computer just fine. Remember who's in charge...

If you have a DVR, and why wouldn't you, ESPNews is great. If you miss a score, just rewind. Take 10 seconds instead of 10 minutes. I have it setup to turn on about 10 minutes before I get home everyday, I just rewind and get my scores in about 30 seconds. Couldn't ask for anything simpler.

simplesimon said:
Purogamer is one of those that seem to think that E* can do no wrong.

Clearly simplesimon misses a lot of my posts, I bash E* as much as anyone else, and rightfully so. My DVR hasn't turned on for a week...

Listen, the guy lost a feature and he complained. That's fine. We realize he's not getting it back and try to tell him how else he can now get his scores, and why he lost them in the first place. That's it. Nobody is looking for an ego boost from what I've read, nobody is intentionally being a jerk. I understand he's mad but he's not getting the channel back so we're trying to help him adjust to places where the rest of us get our scores. Nothing more from where i'm sitting.

Purogamer said:
You get your scores off dish home? wow...

ESPNews is channel 142, look into it...
I almost feel like going off again. This is an innocent post? As if I didn't know where else to get sports scores :mad:

Purogamer said:
If you have a DVR, and why wouldn't you, ESPNews is great. If you miss a score, just rewind. Take 10 seconds instead of 10 minutes. I have it setup to turn on about 10 minutes before I get home everyday, I just rewind and get my scores in about 30 seconds. Couldn't ask for anything simpler.
I'm amazed. You post all your crap, and you don't even bother noticing what you're talking about. IF I HAVE A DVR??? I'm posting about a 721! I also stated that the feature is available on my kid's 508 & 510.

FYI....the 721, 508 & 510 are DVRs...look into it!

As if I'd want to tie up a tuner with ESPN news when the internet is so handy.

Sorry, this post has been deleted to protect the innocent .... (me) BTW how does one delete a post after he puts foot in mouth ?

My comment about using a DVR on espnews wasn't directed at you, it was directed at the guy who said he has to wait 10 minutes for the ticker to come back around. Stop looking for things to fight about...

You THINK dish made a bad decision, a lot of us disagree. Aren't we entitled to think what we think just as much as you are allowed to think what you think? We get it, you like dish home scores and miss them. I don't see anyone else saying "i miss it too" which just proves that it wasn't popular and is why it's gone. If the internet is so handy to you I don't see what your problem is. Frankly if it's so handy to you I don't know why you'd use dish home in the first place, it's too slow. Seems like you're grasping at straws here. It's gone, nobody except you misses it, can we move on now?

Please re-read post #34. Specifically the part where mikew said "... the feature is available on my kid's 508 & 510." The feature is not discontinued. It formerly worked on the 721 and now it doesn't. So I too disagree that it was a bad decision because what it really looks like is a software screwup.

Dish Home has NEVER worked properly on the 721. EVER. They have managed to make some of it work and then take away other features that were liked more, like the menu based weather which works sometimes and more often than not doesn't. Unfortunately, this will probably continue because of the fact that E* evidently does not intend to move the code base of the 522/625/942 over to the 721.

stone philips420 said:
this is the type of thread youd see at dbstalk

This type of stuff happens here, there, and everywhere. Instead of bashing someone else or bashing another site, why can't we just do what we are here to do? Help others. Bashing helps no one. So far, 25 posts of this thread have been for nothing.

Maybe we should start a site or forum that could be used to let E* know what is wrong with the 721 and what we want fixed. As is obvious, most of their updates cause as many problems as they solve, and letting them know about it would be a better idea.

mikew - please let us know if you ever get a response back from E*. Thanx

Ahh E found they could get away with stuff like this... Remember the legacy Dishplayers games? We actually liked them. I turned off my 721 sometime ago, the software became unreliable.

E should offer a free upgrade for all the boxes they dont care about like the 721....