721 receiver for $299?

Mike_Post said:
Is that what it means when people talk of "cascading"?

Is there something besides another DP34 I could buy to do this?

Thanks
Yes, this is cascading the DP34.

If you're 2-dish or SuperDish, I'd go with the cascaded DP34.

If all you have is 110/119, the alternative to this is to put up another Dish. This can be a simple, economical alternative with the advantage of giving you backup in case you have an LNBF fail, or some other outdoor breakage. Of course, this is only likely if the original installer didn't have a Quad LNBF handy, and used a DP34 from a Twin.

SimpleSimon said:
Yes, this is cascading the DP34.

If you're 2-dish or SuperDish, I'd go with the cascaded DP34.

If all you have is 110/119, the alternative to this is to put up another Dish. This can be a simple, economical alternative with the advantage of giving you backup in case you have an LNBF fail, or some other outdoor breakage. Of course, this is only likely if the original installer didn't have a Quad LNBF handy, and used a DP34 from a Twin.
2 dishes for me.

I had a hard enough time persuading "the boss" to let me get 721. She's not gonna like another $100 for the DP34. Ugh.

THanks for the help.

Mike_Post said:
2 dishes for me.

I had a hard enough time persuading "the boss" to let me get 721. She's not gonna like another $100 for the DP34. Ugh.

THanks for the help.
SatinKzo just found something else that might work.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=128694

Plug a DP21 into the first 2 cascading outputs - but that will only give you 110/119 (if it works). You sure one of your receivers couldn't live without the 3rd bird? It can't be the 721 - unfortunately, it must have 2 identical feeds.

Mike_Post said:
2 dishes for me.

THanks for the help.

If you ordered through Dish, simply call them back and let them know you are in need of the DP34 switch to be able to use the 721. As stated above by GaryPen, they should send you one out at no additional cost as part of the deal. They did for me. Ask for CJ at the executive offices when you call back, if you bought through DISH.

SimpleSimon said:
SatinKzo just found something else that might work.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=128694

Plug a DP21 into the first 2 cascading outputs - but that will only give you 110/119 (if it works). You sure one of your receivers couldn't live without the 3rd bird? It can't be the 721 - unfortunately, it must have 2 identical feeds.
Got it. It takes a while for the lightbulb to go off. ;)

I think I'll try Mark S.'s suggestion first.

Thanks

Mark S. said:
If you ordered through Dish, simply call them back and let them know you are in need of the DP34 switch to be able to use the 721. As stated above by GaryPen, they should send you one out at no additional cost as part of the deal. They did for me. Ask for CJ at the executive offices when you call back, if you bought through DISH.
I haven't ordered yet. I was trying to understand how it worked before I called them. I will give them a call and make sure I get the DP34.

I'm still pretty new to the whole Satellite world, so I'l probably ask a lot of dumb questions.

Thanks for the help.

Most people have had to send an E-mail to ceo@dishnetwork.com in order to get the deal. Then they receive a call back at which time they place their order. You will never get through to the executive sales office by calling DISH directly. The CSR's will claim they don't have the ability to connect you to that dept. and that DISH doesn't have a 721 promotion. That the 721 deal is available only through your original retailer. They are sadly misinformed. Once you send the E-mail requesting the deal you should receive a call back in a day or two. I received mine the next day. Took them two days to call my father back.

Also be sure to include some information regarding your history with DISH (subscription package, length of service, what the 721 will be replacing) as well as your account # or home phone #. Unfortunately, if you have been with DISH for less than a year you likely will not qualify for this upgrade promotion.

Also, many have posted here that depending on what package you subscribe to and your length of contract, not everyone is being given the upgrade for the same price. Prices have been either $249 or $299 and in some cases additional equipment has not been included nor has the free install. Many have stated though that when they were charged the additional amount, a call to Customer Service got them a $50 refund or credit.

My father and I both had a very good experience with this offer and received both our units for $249 with any additional equipment required free also. They told us both to call back to set up the free install once our units arrived but we already had the additional lines run from our original installs in anticipation of eventually getting 721's.

Hope this helps.

Got my 721. Tried hooking up just the one input and it wouldn't work without both inputs. That sucks.
Now I have to wait until Monday and hope that Michael calls me back to setup an install date.

Dont worry about the rattling, its the package with the cabling loose inside the box. Mine did the same thing. My install is set up for the morning of the 16th, cant wait. Patric at Dish is upgrading me to DishPro and is also having the installer leave me a Dishpro to Legacy converter in case I have to hook up my 7100, if there is ever a problem with the 721.

What's DishPro?
What's the difference between the Dish 500 I have now?
Why won't DishPro work with the 7100/7200?
When Michael calls for install, should I have him upgrade me to DishPro?
Thanks

rsebolt said:
What's DishPro?
What's the difference between the Dish 500 I have now?
Why won't DishPro work with the 7100/7200?
When Michael calls for install, should I have him upgrade me to DishPro?
Thanks
Having just answered your post in another thread, I say:
  • The Search Button Is Your Friend.
  • Tell Michael everything you've got and let him decide.

I hooked up way back in 1997 and have legacy stuff on my dish. was told byPatric in the executive office that DishPro wouyld be the way to go for any new equipment for the future. But if I needed to hook up my 7100 I would needc a Dish Pro to legacy adapter to allow my Dishplayer 7100 nto work and thuss he is having the installer bring me one.

I'm a little bummed out.......I talked to Phil at the exect. office last Fri the 11th and he gave me the $249 deal- Free shipping and said it woul ship the same day. Well hear it is the 16th and I just called and they told me it just Shipped today and they cant give me a tracking #. I knew I should have ordered one from Claude.......Oh well, guess Ill play the waiting game lol.

I did the same thing and finally got a tracking number from them.... ON THE DAY IT ARRIVED! Way to go Dish. But hey, I still got it for $249 and a DP34 free. Too bad it took 15 days to arrive, unlike the 7 they said.

yeah, I had the switch in 2 days from ordering, had it all installed and ready to go when the 721 finally found it's way to my door.

GaryPen said:
Did the switch arrive earlier than the receiver, for you? I got my switch the next day (Friday), but still have not received the receiver.

For me, switch in 2 days, receiver took 10. But CJ did tell me up front that the switches and LNBF's ship 2-day from their warehouse, 721's ship from "another location" and take "a week or so". The holliday weekend within that week kept me from worrying or calling.

What I wasn't told (and wasn't too happy about) is that they shipped the 721 from Denver in it's retail box, no additional packaging. UPS left it in plain sight on my front porch. While I'm happy to have gotten a good deal on this, someone else could just as well be the proud owner of a 721 for free right now.

Dave

Your concerns were my biggest complaint too. I was out of town for 5 days and wanted a tracking number to check on the package and to have a friend come get the box off my porch since UPS just leaves stuff at my house too.

I asked them what the recourse was if something was damaged from weather or from vandals or stolen. They said that is my responsibility and I would have to take that up with UPS. Then I asked why I couldn't have a tracking number and no one would have to worry about this. Sir we don't have tracking numbers which then proceeded into a long conversation (me bitching them out) on how wrong he was at that and how the CSR's are horrible or at least how the CSR call center is poorly trained.

Another CSR story...

I also went through the executive office to get the $249 721 deal last week. I called up yesterday to see if it was shipped yet, and the CSR said yes, it was scheduled to be delivered June 30th. Asked for and received the tracking number also. When I went to check the UPS tracking info it said it was delivered already, on June 30th, 2003!