722 DVR playback lockups

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

miker57

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
I was attempting to watch some of the recent programs I recorded, and everything recorded in the last couple days causes the receiver to lockup. Anything recorded prior to oct 1st plays fine. I first noticed today when I tried to watch the My name is Earl episodes (NBC sat feed) that were recorded Thursday. The playback starts out ok, then I lose sound then the video hangs to the point that the receiver no longer responds to the remote or the receiver 'system info' or 'menu' buttons. I tried a Cinemax movie that recorded last night and that locked up too. The only way out is to hold the 'system reset' button.

All shows recorded prior to Oct 1st work perfectly. My HD recording time left show 15 hours, so I don't believe I'm out of disk space.

I'm on the L614 firmware. Anyone else having problems watching recently recorded programs?

I powered the receiver off for several minutes and back on. No help. I wonder if the disk has been corrupted somehow.

Last edited:
i've been having trouble with watching delayed shows (either ones being recorded or just delayed) and it jumping to live tv suddenly - only in the last couple of days- i too have 6.14

unfortunately my problem has become much worse. I deleted the recorded programs that were locking up the receiver, and now all of my recorded programs are experiencing the same problem, first audio drop out, then video lockup.

And yes, even pausing live TV, then hitting play after several minutes has the same issue. All the DVR functions are toast.

This is not good :(.

This morning I connected an external USB hard drive and attempted to archive a few of my recordings, this also caused the 722 to freeze.

I called Dish and they will be sending me a new 722.

My recordings are lost and I get to start over again.

It would be nice to know if the DVR failure was a software problem with L614 that caused filesystem corruption or if the problem is a hardware issue with the drive.

ok, here's an update. Dish sent out a new 722 this week. The install went fine, all sat signals at 75%, OTA and everything working, and the receiver loaded the L614 code again.

I am seeing the exact same issues with DVR functions. Pause and play live TV (delayed about 3 minutes) locks up the receiver. Play a recorded program and fast forward at more than 4x, and it locks up.

Delete a recorded program and all the other recorded programs get corrupted and freeze the receiver if played.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention that the receiver reboots itself as others have reported too.

When is dish going to have a SW fix for this?!!!

The 722 DVR totally failed today. Any DVR function gets an Error popup msg that says 'Unable to access this feature at this time','No Data available'.

Dish Technical Support appologized again and said they are sending me another receiver.

Am I the only one having all these problem???

I'm having this problem with my 622. same software version. After the video freeze, I lose audio on TV2 which requires a reboot to get it back. Very frustrating, especially when i have to reboot while recording two shows. I just have to watch one of them with no sound until it finishes its recording. I have had this problem since L6.10.

this is getting worse- picture locks up - jumps to live (when delayed) breaks up so as unwatchable
any one else?

If someone keeps having problems with their 722 even after they swap it out and they just can't get you one that remains working for a while, can you get out of your 2 year contract for getting the receiver? If not then I would think that this would be something that the Attorney General would be able to get you out of since you would have proof right at your house of this issue.

I would be irate if I lost my recordings. If my recordings are lost then they owe me for the entire month(s) of recordings on that hard drive otherwise they might as well just cancel the service if they cannot give me a product that works.

Do DirecTv dual tuner HD DVR's do these types of things?

i've been reading the boards here and at dbs and it seems like it's more than a hardware issue as many people suddenly are experiencing the same problems- some others think it's tied to sofware 6.14

Update: my 3rd 722 seems to be working fine so far (5 days now).

As a precaution this time, immediately after the L614 software update completed I power cycled the receiver. I have not attempted to record anything off the local NBC channel yet. The last 2 receivers went bad soon after recording shows on the local NBC channel, via SAT or OTA. I don't know if there is any connection to the problems I've had, but I'm not taking any chances.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)