722 Hard Drive Crash

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kcushing

Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
The hard drive in my VIP 722 crashed. Dish will replace my 722 for $50 +15 shipping. But if I'm wondering if it will be a referb. If I decide to replace the hard drive myself, is there anything special I need to know, like compatible drives? Do I need to format it a specific way first? etc.

Do you own that 722? If you are leasing it, you can't change the hard drive on equipment you don't own. If you do that, plan on buying it when you return it or it breaks.

I own it

Yes, I own it. They still say they will replace it for $50 + 15 shpping or I can pay $6 a month insurance. It sounds like a better idea to just pay the $50 unless it happens again within 8 months.

i would say open it up and see what kind of hard drive is in there, and you would know what to replace it with...but i would expect if to be no different than with a pc, hard drive crashes and you put a new one in, you still need an operating system on the drive to start it up. my guess is you wont have any luck with that. the dhpp for $6 is a better deal in my opinion.

The drives ARE easy to replace. The HARD part is actually finding one of the models listed for sale. If you find any they are almost all "rebuilt", "factory certified", or "re-manufactured" drives. I managed to find a brand new one about 3 years ago, but the supply is drying up and quite limited.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts