722 hard drive replacement

nmare

Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
Fl
I have a DN 722 receiver that I believe will shortly need a new hard drive. The current one is starting to jump from where you're watching to the end of the recording, not recording a scheduled program, and other "it ain't posed to do dat" errors. I am leaning toward the current drive is going TU:angel:. If anyone has a better theory or fact please post it. Also is it possible to replace the current drive with a larger one (I have a couple of 1Tb WD drives from a now deceased 1.5 Tb raid array)? Any help greatly appreciated !!

I have a DN 722 receiver that I believe will shortly need a new hard drive. The current one is starting to jump from where you're watching to the end of the recording, not recording a scheduled program, and other "it ain't posed to do dat" errors. I am leaning toward the current drive is going TU:angel:. If anyone has a better theory or fact please post it. Also is it possible to replace the current drive with a larger one (I have a couple of 1Tb WD drives from a now deceased 1.5 Tb raid array)? Any help greatly appreciated !!
There are only several approved drives that can be used in the VIP622/612/722 DVR's. Check this thread for details. You might also want to check your HD temps. Check out this thread for more info on temps. You could use the 1TB drives in an EHD enclosure and archive from your 722, after activating the EHD with E*.

:welcome to SatelliteGuys.

There's always the alternative of having DISH replace the whole thing.

I'd spend any extra money that was burning a hole in my pocket on external drives.

the refurb boxes tend to be buggy, if your box is otherwise OK your better off replacing the hard drive.

I think the 722 will soon be renumbered, due to a move to a bigger hard drive.

So waiting if you can may allow a larger DIY drive in the future.

DEFINETELY make certain the receiver is in total free air away from all heat sources!

I think the 722 will soon be renumbered, due to a move to a bigger hard drive.

So waiting if you can may allow a larger DIY drive in the future.
Nothing has been announced or hinted at. I would doubt Dish will increase 722K HD size, if for no other reason than to give an advantage to the upcoming 922.

the refurb boxes tend to be buggy, if your box is otherwise OK your better off replacing the hard drive.
That the drive died calls several things into question about the current DVR. Is the fan ineffective? Is the power supply weak or poorly regulated?

The ViP722 as a product line is kind of young for a simple hard drive failure unless the OP is housing it in an home entertainment oven (in which case, the receiver itself may be hyperthermic as well).

DVR service is hard on hard drives espically if recording 4 things at once whil reading something else.

its amazing they wrk as well as they do.

722s will still be the primary high def box, the 922 a specialty one for the wealthy, this right from charlie.

if they are planning on keeping the 722 current and with the falling prices of bigger drves its likely they will upsize soon.

a great example is history.

501 to 508 to 510

522 to 625

722K to 742K with a one terrabite drive???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)