722 Losing video but still recording

voripteth

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
Aurora, IL
The past few days I've been seeing some odd behavior on my DVR. The audio and video stops playing on the unit both on live and recorded TV. I still get menus and the unit is responsive but nothing plays back. If an event is being recorded when this happens it still records successfully. Holding the power button to do a reboot does fix the problem.

Is this a symptom of failing hardware or is this a known software issue?
My software version is L627

Pretty certain that this is a new bug introduced in the latest software update (L627). My 722 has been doing the same thing since that update loaded, and others have reported it too (see the bug thread under Techical Issues).

The past few days I've been seeing some odd behavior on my DVR. The audio and video stops playing on the unit both on live and recorded TV. I still get menus and the unit is responsive but nothing plays back. If an event is being recorded when this happens it still records successfully. Holding the power button to do a reboot does fix the problem.

I have also had this problem for about a week now.

Not hardware unless L627 breaks it. Mine just did this same thing for the first time. I have had L627 for about a week and just wrote DISH about 002 Errors that I was having all night during clear skies and mentioned that I had not had anyother issues. Spoke too soon. I tried to rewatch NCIS that was all torn up this time with, I believe it was a 316 Error. WHICH it was not this way the first time through. So I went and streamed a 350MB AVI of the show, which had far better PQ than the 722. Upon finishing I went back to the 722 and got graphics but no Sound nor Picture no matter what I did prior to rebooting. I did a Power Cycle and in the "acquiring signal" phase, the x of 5 was going up and down. I have never seen it go down in count. And it took forever. Once complete picture and sound were back. I'm not liking L627 at all and L62x or L63x can not come too soon.

I just sent a note to Dish asking how to roll back the software version to eliminate the Black Screen of Death. Perhaps if some other people send in the same request we can get dish to take care of this situation!

My 722k does this too on recorded events at times. If I reset it then plays just fine.

I don't know if it does it on live events as I seldom watch anything live.

Just had it happen last night and also last weekend on my 722k screws everything up my recordings and have to reset the system and have to wait and wait and wait....

My 722 freezes and skips in HD, but does not in SD. However if you go back to SD and then back to HD then the freezing and skipping stops. This is during live TV. I recorded a movie Sunday night and it is skipping also. Rebooting also stops this for a few days. Thanks for listening.

622 and 722 are the same codebase and yes it is happening on my 622.

If you're in single mode, PIP and SWAP buttons will eliminate this problem when it occurs. At least that works for me.

I've seen a few levels of failure. I turn on the TV and see the BSoD. Menus still work so I play something already recorded and everything works again. (Had this happen once or twice.)

Next time I see the BSoD there is nothing that brings the DVR back to life. Replay videos, swap pictures, use PiP, rude gestures, nada. (Had this happen the last four times.) Only a full reboot restores the system but this is often a pain since it interrupts anything recording.

622 and 722 are the same codebase and yes it is happening on my 622.

If you're in single mode, PIP and SWAP buttons will eliminate this problem when it occurs. At least that works for me.

I just got this e-mail response. Perhaps it's just a form letter but I'm hoping they actually are working on a solution:
Thank you for your email. We apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused. Thank you for providing the information for our engineering department. They are currently working towards a resolution for this issue. Unfortunately, we do not have a status report for this situation at this time. Generally these issues are resolved via software information sent directly to the receiver. Please remember to turn off your receiver when you are not watching TV, so that it can receive the update when it becomes available. If the issue is not resolved within the next 3-4 days please reply to this e-mail.

Still getting daily BSoD. I send off e-mail to Dish asking for an ETA on the fix.

Things worked so well BEFORE the latest update. No I have to reboot daily. :(

It got much worse this morning. The black screen didn't clear on re-boot and the menu, guide etc. were all black as well. The only thing that showed up was the finding satellite screen after the re-boot and the screensaver when unit is off. Several reboots including unplugging the unit once, all to no avail.

Video came back on its own after 20 or 30 mins. Fix please. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)