722 Not recognizing 3 EHDs

Walker1

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 17, 2005
HI, I have 3 WD EHDs- (2) 500GB "My Books" & (1) 1TB "Elements"units. The My Books both worked fine for a while- I bought 1, then 6 mos. later the other 500. The problem I'm having is the 722 simply does NOT recognize ANY of them unless it wants to.

The 1 TB EHD is only 2 mos. old. It worked perfectly just like the 1st 2 500 units. Then, the DVR seems to forget them at random/will. I have moved the USB cable around and sometimes the 722 will pick up on the unit- lately it seems much worse. None of the 3 EHDs are bad- the 722 was NEW 3 mos. ago. My last 722 was replaced after a bad diagnosis by a rep.

The only problem is the DVR won't recognize the units when I plug them in-(AC). I always unplug the EHDs when done using them. Is this a Dish problem with software or something else. I appreciate all feedb:confused:ack. Thanks.

as long as all the EHDs are USB 2.0 and have an additional power source, u should be able to use them, also try another USB port on the receiver

I leave my EHD plugged in all the time. Then change to another EHD when needed. Try that. Other than that it could be the USB cable.

Have you tried new USB cable and rebooting the 722?
No, but I have not ever unplugged the end from the 722 which is only 3 mos. old. I rebooted the 722 using the reset button- The 722 is plugged into a battery backup unit so I haven't tried de-powering the 722 from the battery. I'll try your suggestions and see what happens.

I leave my EHD plugged in all the time. Then change to another EHD when needed. Try that. Other than that it could be the USB cable.
I always unplug the EHD- Are you just switching the USB cable end while the power is on to the EHDs? Do the USB cable ends actually go bad??

I just unplug one EHD from the back of the drive and plug the cable into the other drive without unplugging the drive from the wall. Never had a problem.

I just have my 3 external hard drives plugged into a USB hub and leave them all plugged in at the same time (this is on a 922) but I'm pretty sure it works on a 722 as well.

OK, 3 days ago I changed the USB cable- All 3 EHDs are being recognized now. It's the 1st time I replaced the USB cab.- The 722 has 1 USB port. I would not have guessed that a metal end on a cable that still fits tight could go bad. One question- If I leave an EHD plugged in @ nightime does the HD go into sleep mode when the 722 is off? It blinks during the night if plugged in. Problem is gone! Thanks all for your help.

Does anyone know if vip622s support USB hubs for EHDs? I can't seem to get it to work. Or maybe I was expecting it to work differently. If you use a Hub, can you see the content of any/all EHDs at the same time? I can't only see the content of one of my three EHDs that are connected to the hub. I'm using a D-Link 2.0 4-Port powered Hub (model: DUB-H4). I've heard folks say that powered hubs work, but maybe only certain brands of hubs and/or certain E* receivers work for EHDs?

Only one EHD can be seen by the receiver at a time.

A USB hub can be used but only one EHD can be powered at a time, all others must be turned off.

A USB hub can be used but only one EHD can be powered at a time, all others must be turned off.
Thanks for the info. I guess I should have confirmed that before I bought a hub on amazon. Mistakenly thought that the hub could/would make the vip think that I had one unified (larger) EHD connected. Boy, it sure would be nice if E* could make that happen.

Jim5506 said:

Just to clarify this is not true with the 922. The 922 can see multiple drives connected to a hub at once. I'm not sure about the 722k. I will have to check.

sorry this is a bit off topic, but I know you have to manually move programs to the ehd. Do you have to move them back to watch them?

But you might be happier restoring them to the DVR first. After watching a program on the EHD, the listing appears starting at the top. You then have to search down thru your EHD titles to find the program you finished, and then delete it. On the DVR, when you're finished watching a title, you have the immediate option of deleting it.

I'm quite sure that the ViP922 is the only unit that will recognize multiple powered up EHDs on a hub. Probably trickle down to the ViP722 & ViP722k models eventually. Right now, on the ViP722(k), just plug all the EHDs in to the hub, but only power up one at a time, as previously noted.

On the 922 it is in tile form not list form, so when you stop the program's playback from the 922 EHDD you can delete directly. Much better interface than the 7* and 622 receivers.

Just to clarify this is not true with the 922. The 922 can see multiple drives connected to a hub at once. I'm not sure about the 722k. I will have to check.

Had no interest in a 922 until I read your post.
Hmmmmmmm.
I wonder if anyone sells a 12 port hub? :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts