722 or 722k for upgrades?

banjodude

Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
I'm about to upgrade to HD -- currently running a 501 and 508 (both owned). If I call for an upgrade, is there any way to specify the new 722k? The "Dish'n it Up" offers just list "Enhanced Duo DVR HD Receiver" but don't indicate a way to specify the newer model. Or should I just delay upgrading for a month or two until the inventory of 722's runs out? Dish customer support wasn't helpful with this question.

If you want OTA you need to pay an additional $30 for the module, that should insure that Dish knows what you want and would give you proof should you not get the 722k receiver. If you don't want OTA, it really wouldn't matter whether you get the k model or not.

If you want OTA you need to pay an additional $30 for the module, that should insure that Dish knows what you want and would give you proof should you not get the 722k receiver. If you don't want OTA, it really wouldn't matter whether you get the k model or not.

I don't want OTA and it would matter alot to me if I got a 722 when I wanted a 722k. 722k has other features that are worthwhile besides the OTA module.

Like what?

And isn't there some question about if the K model tuner is as good as the one built in to the regular ViP722?

I am having problems with the new 722k remote control. Especially the UHF one, it seems to be able to work only 20 feet away or less. TEch has no answers other than replace the receiver or send a tech. The older 722 remote control doesn't work either . I think I will try to buy another remote to replace this Uhf one .

That would be a hard sell with me- I'm happy with my Harmony 880.

I agree. I can't see a setting/timer backup being anything more than an extra. My Dish remotes are tucked in the cabinet because I like my 880 so well.

Won't guarantee

I'm about to upgrade to HD -- currently running a 501 and 508 (both owned). If I call for an upgrade, is there any way to specify the new 722k? The "Dish'n it Up" offers just list "Enhanced Duo DVR HD Receiver" but don't indicate a way to specify the newer model. Or should I just delay upgrading for a month or two until the inventory of 722's runs out? Dish customer support wasn't helpful with this question.

I have 622 w/ the HDMI broken and want ONLY the K. I was sent a 722 and sent it back. I was told just today when talking the exec office that they can't guarantee which I will get. I need the dual OTA tuner for my area. So I'm staying w/ the 622 till they don't have any more 722's.

Since the two are not exactly interchangeable (they have slightly different features), I simply don't believe and don't accept that they can't give you the choice. Give it a few months for them to get accustomed, and try again.

I have 622 w/ the HDMI broken and want ONLY the K. I was sent a 722 and sent it back. I was told just today when talking the exec office that they can't guarantee which I will get. I need the dual OTA tuner for my area. So I'm staying w/ the 622 till they don't have any more 722's.

FYI, the 722k is off to less than a stellar start. Audio problems and a mess of a dual OTA tuner. Check out the stickies.

When I upgraded a while back, I wanted a 722 and was told they couldn't guarantee a 722 and most likely would get a 622. I told them that if they showed up with a 622 I was refusing the install. They showed up with a 722. Most people are push overs so they can get away with this. If you want one particular model, let them know up front you will only accept that model and will turn the installer away if he doesn't have it. You'll get it.

What are the differences between the 722 and 722k?

K is the newer model, the ota module is added on and must be installed into the receiver (although, Dish may do that for you if ordered with it) and allows ota tuner on tv2. The non k model has the ota tuner included (comes installed on the receiver whether you want it or not) and is only available on tv1. Please keep in mind, this is only the case while in dual user mode.

Today, still unable to specify the 722k, with the CSR saying specifically they don't know if they have one on their truck and if you want one you can re-schedule with the installer when he comes with the wrong one. :-(

If I can be satisfied with a single OTA tuner is there any material reason to want the 722k other than the remotes? Sling will still work on the 722?

Today, still unable to specify the 722k, with the CSR saying specifically they don't know if they have one on their truck and if you want one you can re-schedule with the installer when he comes with the wrong one. :-(

If I can be satisfied with a single OTA tuner is there any material reason to want the 722k other than the remotes? Sling will still work on the 722?

With the VIP722k with the MT2(Dual Over The Air Tuner Module) you can schedule 4 recordings at the same time(2 OTA+2 SAT) while watching a previously recorded program.It's one of the 722k's excellent features.:D

If you know who is your installer company for Dish in your area, you can call them and ask them if they even have any 722s on their trucks. Many areas only have 722Ks on their trucks.

Many areas only have 722Ks on their trucks.

Give this man a star. Called this morning, installed this afternoon. Driver called before coming over to get a sense of what was going on, his order said 622. I said nope, I want a 722K but would settle for a 722. He said he has zero 722's but thinks he has 1 722K in the truck.

Came out and installed, in and out in 1.5hours.
Stuck the 722k where my 622 was, put my 622 where my 501 was, and back fed tuner 2 to take care of where the 501 was. Most of the time was spent waiting for the 722k to get done playing with itself. He hooked that up as soon as he got here, and in the end was still waiting for it to get done doing things.

Now I have to call and order a OTA module for the 722k as they don't carry them in their truck. Also want to add a sling adapter. Dish is showing $50 for the ota adapter, and $99 for the sling. Sounds like time to work with a reseller vs directly with dish since there doesn't seem to be any deal going through dish.

p.s. oddly, my leased 510 came up as I own it 510. So I have a 510 and 501 sitting on a shelf downstairs waiting until? I dunno, maybe dish will change their mind and do something silly demanding the 501 back, the one unit I know I own (that 501 was operational since about 6 months after the 501 was released. never had to be swapped out, I'm on #4 of the 622's and the 510 was swapped out once).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)