722 or 722k?

Jarrod

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
SE USA
I'm thinking hard about upgrading from my 622 with Dish'n it up and a 24-month commit. I know I don't want the 922. Now just wondering whether to go for the 722k or 722. From what I understand, the 722k doesn't have an internal OTA tuner? You have to buy an external module? How does that work, what is the cost, and where should I get it?

I'm also thinking about adding the Sling adapter at a later time. It does work with both the 722 and 722k, right? Can the Sling adapter, an EHD, and the external OTA module all be connected to the 722k at the same time? Am I asking for problems (besides clutter!) hooking all this external stuff to the receiver?

Thanks for answering my questions - I've searched and found info on these receivers but not answers to some of these specific questions.

I'm thinking hard about upgrading from my 622 with Dish'n it up and a 24-month commit. I know I don't want the 922. Now just wondering whether to go for the 722k or 722. From what I understand, the 722k doesn't have an internal OTA tuner? You have to buy an external module? How does that work, what is the cost, and where should I get it?

I'm also thinking about adding the Sling adapter at a later time. It does work with both the 722 and 722k, right? Can the Sling adapter, an EHD, and the external OTA module all be connected to the 722k at the same time? Am I asking for problems (besides clutter!) hooking all this external stuff to the receiver?

Thanks for answering my questions - I've searched and found info on these receivers but not answers to some of these specific questions.

Yes to Sling & OTA module & ext EHDD can all be hooked up at the same time. The OTA module is not external. It slides in a hole inside the 722k. I took the top cover off mine before I put it in so that it wouldn't hold heat as easily. Only difference tween the 622 & 722 is the size of the HDD. If you are dish-n-up go for the K. It has larger HDD and other features like ability to store timers in the remote control. Look for the module as Dish Store & ebay. I think I paid 40 for mine.

If you don't have any real problems with the 622, I don't know if I would use my upgrade to go to a 722(k). Other than drive size, color, and the second OTA tuner, there really isn't that much difference.

Unless you need a second OTA tuner(K) or are ready for the Sling adapter your not going see any real difference in day to day viewing. If drive space is an issue, hook up an external drive.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 722s (1 722 & 1 722K) and wouldn't really want to go back to a 622. At the same time I don't know if I would want to re-commit and/or pay anything to bump up to a 722.

If you don't have any real problems with the 622, I don't know if I would use my upgrade to go to a 722(k). Other than drive size, color, and the second OTA tuner, there really isn't that much difference.

Unless you need a second OTA tuner(K) or are ready for the Sling adapter your not going see any real difference in day to day viewing. If drive space is an issue, hook up an external drive.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 722s (1 722 & 1 722K) and wouldn't really want to go back to a 622. At the same time I don't know if I would want to re-commit and/or pay anything to bump up to a 722.

I personally like the k much better than the 622's I had.

Yes to Sling & OTA module & ext EHDD can all be hooked up at the same time. The OTA module is not external. It slides in a hole inside the 722k. I took the top cover off mine before I put it in so that it wouldn't hold heat as easily. Only difference tween the 622 & 722 is the size of the HDD. If you are dish-n-up go for the K. It has larger HDD and other features like ability to store timers in the remote control. Look for the module as Dish Store & ebay. I think I paid 40 for mine.

Operationally, there may no difference between the 622 and 722/K, however there is a significant difference between them as they have different chips inside (I don't think the 622 can handle VC-1, which subsequent ViP's can) as the Sling Adapter will NOT function on the 622. The differences are more "under the hood". Further, Scott has stated that the "K" models are different from past ViP's "under the hood" (722 and 722K not really identical) and "K's" nearly identical to the 922 inside the box. Each subsequent model seems to get the latest chip and design Dish can get into it, and the 'K" models are more like the 922 electronically.

I personally like the k much better than the 622's I had.

I like the 722s better too, but when I had 1 of each I never was bothered enough to swap the units around(the 622 was in the living room). Was I glad when the 622 was replaced with a 722K when it died - heck yeah. Is the 722(k) a better box - yes. But if I didn't have a real need for a 722 right now I don't know if I would drop $100 and recommit. At the same time if the I wanted sling, or a 2nd OTA now I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade.

The most annoying difference is probably the color if I actually had to have the box visible. Whatever design "genius" in in the early 2000s decided that silver cases would be good for TV equipment deserves to be drawn and quartered - or worse.

Operationally, there may no difference between the 622 and 722/K, however there is a significant difference between them as they have different chips inside (I don't think the 622 can handle VC-1, which subsequent ViP's can) as the Sling Adapter will NOT function on the 622. The differences are more "under the hood". Further, Scott has stated that the "K" models are different from past ViP's "under the hood" (722 and 722K not really identical) and "K's" nearly identical to the 922 inside the box. Each subsequent model seems to get the latest chip and design Dish can get into it, and the 'K" models are more like the 922 electronically.

OK! So where's my new guide with the channel logos in it?.;):D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)