722 Question- Single Mode w/ Component, Dual Mode w/ RG6?

Whatchagot Loran

Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
Albany, GA
I'll be moving in about 3 weeks. The house I'm moving to is set pretty similar as my current house. 722 in the den with TV in the kitchen as TV2. Current owners have a SD tv in kitchen, but we've just recently purchased a Samsung 22" LCD for the kitchen. So, when we move I want to have HD in the den and kitchen without having to get an additional dish receiver.

Here's the question- can I run HDMI out of the 722 to my HDTV in den and then Component to the Samsung in the kitchen. When in Single mode these TVs should both get HD, right? I know they'll be the same channel and what not. What if I keep the existing RG6 in place that would go out of 722 TV2 output and into the kitchen TV.

If I'm in Single mode will I get HD in the kitchen? Can I switch to Dual mode and be able to watch different content (although not in HD) on both TVs.

This would be best of both worlds for me. Hate that we bought a nice HDtv for the kitchen and it's currently getting downconverted SD. 90% of the time we don't need to watch separate things in these 2 rooms, but I want the option.

Let me know...

Here's the question- can I run HDMI out of the 722 to my HDTV in den and then Component to the Samsung in the kitchen. When in Single mode these TVs should both get HD, right? I know they'll be the same channel and what not. What if I keep the existing RG6 in place that would go out of 722 TV2 output and into the kitchen TV.

If I'm in Single mode will I get HD in the kitchen? Can I switch to Dual mode and be able to watch different content (although not in HD) on both TVs.

This would be best of both worlds for me. Hate that we bought a nice HDtv for the kitchen and it's currently getting downconverted SD. 90% of the time we don't need to watch separate things in these 2 rooms, but I want the option.

Let me know...

IIRC the HDMI and Component both output HD from tuner #1 whether you are in single or dual mode, so the only time you'll have to change modes is when you want remote #2 to control what's coming out of tuner #1.

Good luck with the move.

Thanks for the help...

Does this mean that when I switch to dual mode I can have TV2 viewing something different than TV1? TV1 should still be HD and TV2 would then switch to SD, right?

Does this mean that when I switch to dual mode I can have TV2 viewing something different than TV1? TV1 should still be HD and TV2 would then switch to SD, right?

Right. And both the HDMI and Component will still be playing the HD from TV1.

It would switch to SD only if you change the input on your TV to the Coax (or Composite (Red, White, Yellow RCA Cables). We have 4 Tuners (2 on a 625 and 2 on a 722) hooked up to our 65" Screen (all 4 via Coax) and then the HD from Tuner 1 on the 722 and Composite from Tuner 2 of the 722. Due to using the Composite and the HD Signal (we switch back and forth from HDMI to Component due to issues with the HDMI signal) and have had no issues with seeing either tuner. We also do NOT switch from Single to Dual Mode. Never felt the need.

Geoff

when using component AND HDMI, they both display TV1 no matter what mode. There for there is no "TV2 switching to SD". Basically, you could always have it in dual mode, and switch from component input to whatever input on your kitchen TV to view something different.

when using component AND HDMI, they both display TV1 no matter what mode. There for there is no "TV2 switching to SD". Basically, you could always have it in dual mode, and switch from component input to whatever input on your kitchen TV to view something different.

That's what I was trying to say and I added that if he switches to single mode then he can use the UHF remote for TV2 to control the HD from the kitchen.

Hope that clears it up. :)

Unless he wanted to use PIP, then he would have to switch to single mode.

Switching

So, the "switching" I would do, would be changing the input on my TV? Keep the 722 in Dual Mode with component and HDMI giving me HD at both TV locations. When I want to watch something different I would switch the kitchen TV to the coax input and that would give me SD, right?

I'm slow with this stuff, thanks for the help.

So, the "switching" I would do, would be changing the input on my TV? Keep the 722 in Dual Mode with component and HDMI giving me HD at both TV locations. When I want to watch something different I would switch the kitchen TV to the coax input and that would give me SD, right?

I'm slow with this stuff, thanks for the help.

Yup. Just hit the Video/Input button to the different inputs and you will be golden.

Unless he wanted to use PIP, then he would have to switch to single mode.
IMO, PIP is just about worthless if you have a DVR.

I have my 722 driving 55" HDTV in my living room (via component), a 37" HDTV is my bedroom (via HDMI), as well as a 23" HDTV in my kitchen (via HDMI) -- and all three can be driven with HD at the same time (albeit with the same programming). I do use a powered HDMI splitter (from monoprice) to get that HDMI signal to two TVs. The coax in my home -- which runs to five different TVs -- is carrying the 722's TV1 output on Ch.62 and TV2 on Ch.60 in addition to OTA signals; so that gets the TV1 and TV2 ouputs to all the sets in my home (albeit in SD). I also have an IR distribution system in my house to get the IR signals from four other rooms to my living room that has all my A/V gear.