722 toslink audio problem

Kentl53

Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Renton, Wa.
Need help! I have been gone around in circles with Dish Network. I have a VIP 722 using hdmi to Samsung dlp for video and optical from 722 to a 7 year old Denon amp. I get 1 second burst of audio about every 4 seconds on NTGEO HD, and a few other HD channels. All other HD channels produce dolby or PM audio fine! My AMP indicates NTGEO HD is dolby digital. If I reroute the audio to the Samsung DLP via HDMI and use the optical output of the Samsung and connect to Denon AMP the audio comes through on NTGEO and the few other channels. If I flip my AMP to "virtual" the audio comes thru fine but is just stereo. After receiving a new 722 and getting 500 different answers I am somewhat convinced my AMP cannot handle the dolby format from NTGEO but DIsh Network cannot verify if this is the issue. I also know that vip 722 does not put out dolby using hdmi. Can anyone please help with this? I don't want to buy a new AMP unless I really need to. Is anyone having the same problem or can someone tell me what the issue is with the Audio coding on NTGEO HD?

I have tested both the 622 and 722 on the same system and I am sure they have the latest software......both do not pass dolby via HDMI when I route it to the Samsung DLP via HDMI and use the optical output on the TV to the amp? I do this since my Denon AMP(older) does not have HDMI inputs. Maybe my Samsung is unable to pass the dolby? Can someone verify that they have a system using HDMI output on 622 or 722 hooked to an HDMI input on their amp (without any optical) and they can get dolby on their amp? Also that with the same setup they get NTGEO audio without problems?
THANKs!

There's your problem which I missed before. Do not go optical out from the TV. It does not pass. Go straight from 722 optical out to your receiver.

That is the bigger problem......when I go straight thru (optical on 722 9r 622 to optical on the Denon AMP I do get the dolby, BUT I lose the audio on NTGEO HD, and a few other HD channels. I am trying to determine is it my AMP not being able to decode whatever audio format NTGEO HD using or is it a firmware issue with 722 or 622?

You might try changing the settings via System Setup - Dolby Digital and see if that helps. Worth a shot.

I have tried changing settings to dolby/pcm dolby etc. and without any change. Even had a replacement 722 sent. Current version is 618....

Yes, that is the expensive solution I was trying to confirm.....Thanks! Before I go out and buy a new amp, can someone please confirm that the 722 or 622 now puts out dolby audio via HDMI to a HDMI input on an amp? There has been confusing and conflicting information in the past on this.....this way I can determine what options I need or don't need on an amp? Any amp recommendations would be appreciated.......THANKYOU!!!!

Yes, indeed

The 722 DOES output Dolby Digital via HDMI. I have my 722 going directly to my Onkyo 6100 7.1 system, and previously to an RCA 5.1 system. Both systems showed Dolby Digital being inputted. I now have my RCA system hooked to my 211, and it continues to display the Dolby Digital coming in from it. The answer evidently lies with your Denon. Time to purchase a new one !! :up

The 722/722 WILL output audio via HDMI. Re amp, the Onkyo 606 seems to be a popular and reasonably priced receiver.

Thanks for all your help!!!!! I will have to replace the old Denon AMP!!!!! It probably has something to do with it cannot decode whatever format NTGEO HD dolby is being provided in.....and that it does NOT have HDMI inputs......

I read the link and thank you for steering me there. Interesting to say the least. It is really frustrating that DIsh Tech Support could not let me know this - you would think they would want to avoid sending out replacement receivers and keep their overhead down! I still wonder what it is about NTGEO HD and a few other HD Channels that cause this - I gave the list to Dish Tech Support, but I always got the feeling they were not even close to undersanding the problem let along the 722.
Anyway, a big thanks for the input and link~!!!

I read the link and thank you for steering me there. Interesting to say the least. It is really frustrating that DIsh Tech Support could not let me know this - you would think they would want to avoid sending out replacement receivers and keep their overhead down! I still wonder what it is about NTGEO HD and a few other HD Channels that cause this - I gave the list to Dish Tech Support, but I always got the feeling they were not even close to undersanding the problem let along the 722.
Anyway, a big thanks for the input and link~!!!
I had to get to a level 6 master tech installer before I found out about the compatibility issue. I doubt that the front line phone techs are told about it for fear that word could get out.

If your Denon was the problem then you would probably have the problem on all Dolby sources. I'm convinced that the problem lies with Dish.

BTW, Denon is a great amp and 7 years old is not very old.

Last edited:
I understand that several of you are doing Dolby Digital over HDMI on the 722 just fine, however those others posting in this thread are not imagining things: there are some 722s that will not output audio over HDMI, for whatever reason.

I know, because mine is one of them.

There's no explanation. It's not the cables. It's not the input on my receiver. It's not the settings. I've picked many brains and we've gone over everything anyone could think of. The last word was that it must be a bad 722, which is where it was left... but considering how many people on this and other forums have mentioned the same problem, I don't know if it's just a 1-off bad 722 fluke.

While most 722s can output audio over HDMI, there are many that can't for some inexplicable reason and it's not an isolated issue.

Sremick.....
I checked and neither the 622 or 722 put out audio in dolby over HDMI if it is routed via the HDMI thru my Samsung DLP TV then routed to the amp via optical - it will not work......and has something to do with the DLP TV cannot put dolby out it's output....perhaps this is what you are running into? I believe the HDMI has to go directly to the amp and the amp must specifically be able to process HDMI audio.....not just do HDMI switching on the video.....if I am wrong someone please correct me.......I know it is frustrating..........it is a mixture of TV, AMP, and DISH capabilities which can make it a nightmare!!!!

Correct. Most all HDTV's WILL NOT output dolby digital through optical out. It's always in the their manuals, but often overlooked (or ignored)..

Sremick.....
I checked and neither the 622 or 722 put out audio in dolby over HDMI if it is routed via the HDMI thru my Samsung DLP TV then routed to the amp via optical - it will not work......and has something to do with the DLP TV cannot put dolby out it's output....perhaps this is what you are running into? I believe the HDMI has to go directly to the amp and the amp must specifically be able to process HDMI audio.....not just do HDMI switching on the video
Nope, that's not the issue. My HDMI connections go directly into my amp from the units. Audio over HDMI from my DVD and Blu-Ray players has worked fine. But not from the ViP722. I've swapped around cables, ports/inputs, etc and confirmed it's something with the 722. I resorted to using the fiber toslink cable, which works fine and I don't lose anything but it's one extra cable I shouldn't have to use cluttering things up (which are cluttered enough).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)