722K 20.0 IR remote problems on TV1

birdfinder

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have on this.

I went on a service call on a 722k remote issue 20.0 IR for TV1. The remote would not power on the receiver or control any satellite functions like changing channels or using the guide. It does control the TV which is a Sony Bravia. To get the remote to work the receiver, the customer has to power on the receiver from the front panel and then after a while the remote works the receiver functions.

I know the remote is programmed to the box with the correct remote address and it does work after the box has been on for about 10 to 15 mins. The customer noticed it took longer sometimes. He had already called customer service and they sent a 6.3 remote and it was programmed with the same remote address as the 20.0 and it worked the same way.

The customer talked to tech support again and they claimed that there is a problem with the IR remote 20.0 when using a LCD TV. I haven't heard of this before. They were going to send another remote, hopefully its a 21.0 IR/UHF so the customer can use it on TV1 using UHF.

If the receiver is in dual mode will this fix the actual problem or is this a bogus answer that tech support gave? Do you think its the actual box or the remote?

I have seen numerous cases of LCD TVs putting out so much IR noise that it wipes out the signal from an IR remote. If this is indeed the problem, you might be able to shield the receiver IR sensor from the TV (including bounces off nearby furniture) and get it to work.

I seriously doubt that single/dual mode has any affect on this problem, other than by enabling the TV2 UHF remote to control the receiver.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have on this.

I went on a service call on a 722k remote issue 20.0 IR for TV1. The remote would not power on the receiver or control any satellite functions like changing channels or using the guide. It does control the TV which is a Sony Bravia. To get the remote to work the receiver, the customer has to power on the receiver from the front panel and then after a while the remote works the receiver functions.

I know the remote is programmed to the box with the correct remote address and it does work after the box has been on for about 10 to 15 mins. The customer noticed it took longer sometimes. He had already called customer service and they sent a 6.3 remote and it was programmed with the same remote address as the 20.0 and it worked the same way.

The customer talked to tech support again and they claimed that there is a problem with the IR remote 20.0 when using a LCD TV. I haven't heard of this before. They were going to send another remote, hopefully its a 21.0 IR/UHF so the customer can use it on TV1 using UHF.

If the receiver is in dual mode will this fix the actual problem or is this a bogus answer that tech support gave? Do you think its the actual box or the remote?

This is not a bogus answer. Some bulb types in LCD TV's will emit IR interference until the tv gets to running temperature. If the Bravia also has a remote that works on IR, it more than likely wouldn't work for the first 20 minutes either. This is the case in several brands, the biggest offender being Samsung for some reason. Sony rarely has this issue but it's not a bogus response as a matter of fact, it's actually a customer equipment issue that Dish will resolve by sending a UHF remote (21.0 in this case). However, it ought to be noted that it's not Dish's problem per se. The customer might want to consider getting a different television or moving the receiver out of the IR zone. If they move it approx 5 feet away and block its view of the television but not the viewing angle from the customer, a lot of times it will resolve the issue. We all know that this never happens as a customers equipment is never the problem.

20.0 IR remote intereference from TV

This is not a bogus answer. Some bulb types in LCD TV's will emit IR interference until the tv gets to running temperature. If the Bravia also has a remote that works on IR, it more than likely wouldn't work for the first 20 minutes either. This is the case in several brands, the biggest offender being Samsung for some reason. Sony rarely has this issue but it's not a bogus response as a matter of fact, it's actually a customer equipment issue that Dish will resolve by sending a UHF remote (21.0 in this case). However, it ought to be noted that it's not Dish's problem per se. The customer might want to consider getting a different television or moving the receiver out of the IR zone. If they move it approx 5 feet away and block its view of the television but not the viewing angle from the customer, a lot of times it will resolve the issue. We all know that this never happens as a customers equipment is never the problem.

I did notice that if I shielded the remote with my hand from the TV it would respond. The receiver is on the side of the TV about 2 feet away. I guess the location of the receiver can be a problem and hopefully the 21.0 will work. I was with the customer and we turned off the TV for 15 mins and 30 mins and the remote doesn't work until the TV has been on for at least 5 to 15 mins. I didn't think it was a problem with the receiver thats why I didn't change it out and will just wait for the new remote to come and see if the customer gets a 21.0 IR/UHF.

Thanks for the info I appreciate it. It will definitely help out on future service calls or installations.

I have seen numerous cases of LCD TVs putting out so much IR noise that it wipes out the signal from an IR remote. If this is indeed the problem, you might be able to shield the receiver IR sensor from the TV (including bounces off nearby furniture) and get it to work.

I seriously doubt that single/dual mode has any affect on this problem, other than by enabling the TV2 UHF remote to control the receiver.

What kind of shielding should be used? Is there something that would help such as a cover? What do you think the best location is for the receiver based on standard component cable length.

Thanks for any help.

I'm the guy who likes to run HDMI cable through walls. ;) My 722 is in my basement equipment room, so of course I have no IR issues. My bedroom Vizio is on a corner TV stand, and my 612 is on a shelf underneath. No issues there either. If the Vizio is putting out any interference at all, it would have to bounce off the corner of our bed to do so. But you get the idea. Put the receiver on a different shelf with no view of the TV whatsoever. If you want to get really obnoxious, you could build yourself an opaque paper cone and tape that around the receiver's IR sensor aimed into the room. That cone would be for testing purposes, not a permanent installation. ;)

722K REMOTE PROBLEMS ON TV1

I HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE REMOTE NOT WORKING WHEN THE ROOM WAS DARK THE REMOTE WOULD NOT WORK. WHEN YOU WOULD TURN THE LIGHTS ON IN THE ROOM THE REMOTE WOULD WORK. SO THE 722K WE HAD FOR TWO DAYS CRASHED AND WOULD NOT POWER UP SO WE HAD A DISH TECH COME OUT AND REPLACE THE 722K. TOLD HIM ABOUT THE REMOTE PROBLEM AND HE SAID HE HAS SEEN PROBLEMS WITH NEWER LCD TV AND HE HAS FOUND THAT IF YOU COVER PART OF THE RECEVERS REMOTE SENSOR WITH BLACK TAPE THAT THE PROBLEM WOULD GO AWAY HE DID THAT TO OURS AND IT FIXED THE PROBLEM.:)

I HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE REMOTE NOT WORKING WHEN THE ROOM WAS DARK THE REMOTE WOULD NOT WORK. WHEN YOU WOULD TURN THE LIGHTS ON IN THE ROOM THE REMOTE WOULD WORK. SO THE 722K WE HAD FOR TWO DAYS CRASHED AND WOULD NOT POWER UP SO WE HAD A DISH TECH COME OUT AND REPLACE THE 722K. TOLD HIM ABOUT THE REMOTE PROBLEM AND HE SAID HE HAS SEEN PROBLEMS WITH NEWER LCD TV AND HE HAS FOUND THAT IF YOU COVER PART OF THE RECEVERS REMOTE SENSOR WITH BLACK TAPE THAT THE PROBLEM WOULD GO AWAY HE DID THAT TO OURS AND IT FIXED THE PROBLEM.:)

STOP YELLING AT US!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts