722K Freezes, Reboots when trying to enter DVR/My Recordigs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DishSubLA

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
My 722K has been working well from day 1. However, just today, whenever I attempt to enter the My Recordings (either by pressing DVR button twice or using the menus), the unit freezes, then reboots. I have done all the soft re-boot, hard-reboot, and even set the Updates to run, and I can't see any indication on the Diagnostics screen regarding this problem.

Has this occured to others. I am aware of Dish boxes re-booting constantly as a problem (I've seen it myself), but I am asking if anyone has had the experience of the unit working well in all respects EXCEPT when attempting to enter or access the My Recordings.

Thanks in advance. I hope I don't have to RMA it.

Sorry to hear this, but now I know I'm not alone! (I seem to only get problems about which no one else has ever heard/seen LOL)

This exact same problem happened on my secondary 722 (not K) last weekend. I spent 30+ minutes doing my own trouble-shooting like you did, then called Dish. First CSR was rude, didn't believe I knew how to trouble-shoot, insisted on setting up an empty box RMA even though I said "not yet," and then hung up on me. I called back, reported her dis-service, and got better treatment.

I ended up archiving all recordings (except the one I had just finished watching when the problem started) from the DVR to an EHD, and then let the DVR sit untouched for over 24 hours. Strangely enough, when I went back to the DVR on Tuesday evening, the problem was gone, and I could access My Recordings again. I deleted that last recording in case it was corrupted, and I've had 3 days without issue on that DVR.

I did have to call back to let them know that I had no intention of returning this DVR in the empty box they were sending out (got the email alerts on Mon AND Tues)...who would set up an empty box return without sending out a replacement?!?

Thanks jd613. I have had a few small irritants on some Dish boxes that did "fix themselves" in the past. However, this is a biggy. I use this 722K as a secondary, as well, so no immediate panic. However, considering your experience, I'll let it "stew" for a while until it is just too long to wait. I tried it again, about 24 hours later, but it still does the same thing when I try to access My Recordings. The HDD was almost full. I think, at some point, I'll try transferring the recordings like you did and see if the was a magic bullet.

Again, thanks for your response. You were brave to call CSR; I just didn't want to go down that path for exactly the reasons that you experienced! ARRGG!! I knew if I called they would think it was all me or never heard of such a bug and go through the hell you did. Thanks for confirming my fears :). I wait as long as I can before dealing with the CSR and possible RMA.

Would love to hear if others have had this problem. Please post and let us know. I'll try to remember to post if it "fixes itself" or what I do as a record for the benefit of others who may encounter this problem in the future.

Thanks, again, jd613.

Last edited:
What is interesting is that we (jd613 did it, too) can access the drive to archive to our external drive. It has done this successfully for one recording. After archiving the one movie, the box still had the freeze when accessing My Recordings problem.

I am now archiving all the content on the internal HDD, nearly the entire capacity of the internal HDD to a fresh 1TB external drive. At least I'll be able to save my recordings if I have to RMA, but I would prefer for the fix to either come down the line or somehow fix itself as it did for jd613. No blemishes on this unit.

So, sorry to hear of similar problems for you Straybeat. Thanks for sharing. Your problem adds interest to this. This is my update for now. I will post to this thread for what happens next. Please let us know of any developments regarding your experience.

So, if this happens, you can archive recordings.

What is interesting is that we (jd613 did it, too) can access the drive to archive to our external drive. It has done this successfully for one recording. After archiving the one movie, the box still had the freeze when accessing My Recordings problem.

I am now archiving all the content on the internal HDD, nearly the entire capacity of the internal HDD to a fresh 1TB external drive. At least I'll be able to save my recordings if I have to RMA, but I would prefer for the fix to either come down the line or somehow fix itself as it did for jd613. No blemishes on this unit.

So, sorry to hear of similar problems for you Straybeat. Thanks for sharing. Your problem adds interest to this. This is my update for now. I will post to this thread for what happens next. Please let us know of any developments regarding your experience.

So, if this happens, you can archive recordings.

My Vip622 just did this starting last Friday. My harddrive started going bad. Whenever it hit a bad spot in a recorded show I was watching, it would lock up for a bit, then reboot after it brought up a "total signal loss" screen. I finally archived all shows (but 6 or so that wouldn't, due to being bad) and replaced the drive. Kind of strange that bad spots on the internal drive, will bring up that total signal loss screen, and then reboot.

OK, my internal HDD was near the max, or even at max having to erase unprotected shows to record new ones. Now, I have finished archiving 45 hours of content onto the external 1TB HDD, with only 10 hours of content still on the internal HDD. Well, wouldn't you know the 722K WORKS PERFECTLY, again.

Considering the experience jd613 had, the exact same problem as mine, and his box working well AFTER he archived, one has to think that this is somehow related to either some corruption on the internal HDD or perhaps a bug that does not provide enough room for essential data when the HDD is at or very near capacity. Dish should look into this as I'm sure many people will just RMA and lose all thier recordings.

Remember, the original problem is that when one attempts to access My Recordings by pressing the DVR button twice, or using the menus, everything freezes and reboots and no other known remedy (or trick) changed that. Taking programs (I don't know the minimum), in my case about 45 hours worth, off of the HDD and archived onto an external HDD seems to fix the problem. Remember, you CAN'T erase any shows from My Recordings to free up space because you are never able to access My Recordings to do anything. Archiving is the only way to clear out the HDD (without using the secret nuclear option of forcing a reformatting of your entire DVR) that seems to fix the problem--and the bonus of having saved your recordings.

If the 722K acts up again with this problem I'll post here.

Solution: archive ALL or as much of the HDD content as possible, and things should work well, again.

Others, please continue to post if you have the same or very similar problem.

Last edited:
Update: Well, the day after my last post, the DVR has the very same problem: Whenever I attempt to access My Recordings, the box freezes and reboots.

So, this time I archive almost the remaining 10 hours of programming. Then the DVR behaves properly allowing me to access My Recordings. I then erase a few remaining shows from the internal HDD so that I can start from a clean HDD. Well the 722K does record as scheduled, but still won't let me access My Recordings. So the archived to external HDD is not a fix, at least for me.

I am going to try the secret full reboot/reset, and if that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to RMA it. I'll let you know how things proceed.

Update: Well, the day after my last post, the DVR has the very same problem: Whenever I attempt to access My Recordings, the box freezes and reboots.

So, this time I archive almost the remaining 10 hours of programming. Then the DVR behaves properly allowing me to access My Recordings. I then erase a few remaining shows from the internal HDD so that I can start from a clean HDD. Well the 722K does record as scheduled, but still won't let me access My Recordings. So the archived to external HDD is not a fix, at least for me.

I am going to try the secret full reboot/reset, and if that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to RMA it. I'll let you know how things proceed.

Try this instead, it'll do a full reset/reboot as part of it:

1st: Hit this button sequence on your remote:

Menu-6-3-Info-Right-Left-TV/Video to clear the NVRAM, then reboot it.

2nd: After it reboots and comes back up, just do a:

Menu-6-3-Info-Right-Left- Play,- Play,- Recall to format the internal HDD. It'll prompt to format, and reboot again.

You will lose all recordings, and your settings (and timers, write them down first) but it may fix your drive! If this doesn't do it, then it's time to RMA it.

Try this instead, it'll do a full reset/reboot as part of it:

1st: Hit this button sequence on your remote:

Menu-6-3-Info-Right-Left-TV/Video to clear the NVRAM, then reboot it.

2nd: After it reboots and comes back up, just do a:

Menu-6-3-Info-Right-Left- Play,- Play,- Recall to format the internal HDD. It'll prompt to format, and reboot again.

You will lose all recordings, and your settings (and timers, write them down first) but it may fix your drive! If this doesn't do it, then it's time to RMA it.

Thanks, I shall try. I've been really busy and haven't had a chance to get on the computer for days. I'll let all know what happens from here.

First, Primestar31, thanks for posting the reset/reboot. You saved me from having to hunt it down on the forum.

Second, The memory dump and reformat WORKED! During the procedure a pop-up appeared stating that part of the data on the HDD had been "corrupted." I have confirmed numerous times over the last 2 days that the 722K is working perfectly. I can enter My Recordings with absolutely no issues, and all else works as it should. I have saved the procedure to a file for my future reference. I am quite relieved as it sure beats having to RMA it.

Thanks again, and I do hope this thread is of help to others.

First, Primestar31, thanks for posting the reset/reboot. You saved me from having to hunt it down on the forum.

Second, The memory dump and reformat WORKED! During the procedure a pop-up appeared stating that part of the data on the HDD had been "corrupted." I have confirmed numerous times over the last 2 days that the 722K is working perfectly. I can enter My Recordings with absolutely no issues, and all else works as it should. I have saved the procedure to a file for my future reference. I am quite relieved as it sure beats having to RMA it.

Thanks again, and I do hope this thread is of help to others.

I was glad to help. Since you did the memory dump, you will probably also have to re-do all your personal settings through the menu's. I know it dumped all those for me on my Vip622 receiver, and I had to re-do them.

I was glad to help. Since you did the memory dump, you will probably also have to re-do all your personal settings through the menu's. I know it dumped all those for me on my Vip622 receiver, and I had to re-do them.

Well, I had backuped all my settings to my remote, before the bad behavior, I believe. I regularly back up with a Full System Backup. However, after the dump and reformat, I entered the Wizard and it stated the remotes were properly paired but no option to RESTORE my settings. I have researched on the forum to no avail. I'll just re-do the stuff manually, but I am disappointed that I could not restore my settings as this is the point of the 722K/222K backup settings feature. There could be a reason why the restore option was not provided. It may be working properly in a way I am unaware of.

Thanks again. Just really happy I have a good working 722k back without RMAing. I archived all the programming, so nothing lost. Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts