722k is an awesome machine

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
While its got a couple of faults, what can you say about something that allows me to have:

Two tv's hooked up in the living (one is on TV2 output) watching one game on Game Plan and one game on ESPN2. While this is going on, I'm recording the Nascar race off one OTA channel and Cops of the other OTA channel.

Pretty darn cool.

Yes, I know that some have had some issues with the 722K, but for me, my 722K has not had any of the reported problems--except the stupid one minute recording one time and the stupid Custom Folders not showing the correct number of shows in the file--by others. Yes, I love recording my local news OTA HD, and still can record my sat channels in HD all at the same time--4 HD streams at one time, and still playback or have my external HDD in use and no hiccups. Tivo is still limited to only 2 streams (internet downloads will still occur) at any one time, even though it has dual OTA and dual cable (QAM) tuners. I have a Tivo Series 3 and I like and enjoy the product, but I expect more from the supposed inventor of the DVR who hasn't upgraded their interface since the first day pretty much, as is no PIP, no picture in menu or guide--the guide take almost the whole screen, only 30 minute buffer, and only 2 streams of TV recording from a box that has 4 TV tuners. Sorry, but overall the 722K does beat the Tivo in core features. Now, Tivo search and access to internet programming is Tivo's strength.

I Didnt realize how good that reciever is untill I moved and had to get rid of the service at the time. I get free cable service now and as soon as I can I will be getting dish back.

I was thinking the same thing last night as I readied the timers for the new fall season. 4 recordings at the same time is pretty darn awesome!

My 722K's got bugs - I wish it didn't, but it does. OTA recordings seem more prone to glitches. If you use skip ahead intensely (I do, during sports events), it also seems to bring out glitches more.

Same here elway. I use OTA quite extensively and haven't noticed any issues. I make sure I force a guide download and perform a soft reset if I rescan locals.

Thanks for the responses. I've got the latest 6.55 firmware. I've already replaced the OTA module once but it definitely didn't make a difference.

The sense that I get is that the 722K is slightly underpowered in terms of processing horsepower and when pushed very hard, it coughs a bit.

My signal levels are all quite good. OTA levels are 80-100 (although it still occasionally complains), and sat levels are all AOK according to tech support.

I wonder if I should ask for a replacement 722K, although I hate to lose all my timers.

Thanks for the responses. I've got the latest 6.55 firmware. I've already replaced the OTA module once but it definitely didn't make a difference.

The sense that I get is that the 722K is slightly underpowered in terms of processing speed and when pushed very hard, it coughs a bit.

My signal levels are all quite good. OTA levels are 80-100 (although it still occasionally complains), and sat levels are all AOK according to tech support.

I wonder if I should ask for a replacement 722K, although I hate to lose all my timers.

If you use the remote to backup your timers / settings you shouldn't have to worry about getting a replacement. I can't remember the menu settings to make it happen as I'm not at home but I'm sure someone has them.:)

I don't think you can use the remote to back up timers in the ViP722 series. I think that's only for the ViP922.

I hope I'm wrong. If so, someone please explain how to do this quick- I'm expecting a replacement ViP722 today or tomorrow.

I don't think you can use the remote to back up timers in the ViP722 series. I think that's only for the ViP922.

I hope I'm wrong. If so, someone please explain how to do this quick- I'm expecting a replacement ViP722 today or tomorrow.

Yes you can (at least with the 722k). I'm getting a replacement this week and I just backed up my timers to my remote with my 722k.

How did you do it with your "K?" Maybe the same sequence would work with a regular ViP722. Not at home now to check it out.

Frankly, if that's the case, I'd have paid to upgrade to a "K" just to get this one feature.

Yep, definitely available on the 722K (not sure about the 722). When you perform the backup the remote has to be about a foot or less from the remote sensor on the 722K. I haven't had to apply the backup yet so I'm not sure how that portion works but the actual backup takes a minute or so.

I believe it is in the "system wizard" section under the remote control section of the manual. If you hold your remote about 6 inches from the ir sensor of your 722K and hold down the "system wizard" button of the remote it will get you into the wizard. Been awhile so I'm not sure how the prompts are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)