722K locks up once a day roughly 5:15 PM

Cablegonesatellite

Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Howdy folks,

I was sent on a trouble call after six previous visits by other techs to remedy an issue with a Vip 722k receiver that occasionally experiences the picture locking up. I went through the system inside and out, all the basics... replaced fittings, installed 3g barrell in wall plate, tested voltage from receiver to ground block etc. etc.. Everything tests good.

Ok, our customer is an intelligent, realistic individual and is in fact able to observe the situation as he is laid up in bed due to knee replacement surgery. He notes that the receiver will lock up (picture freezes) at 5:18 PM everyday, then is fine for several minutes, may lock up once more a few minutes after initial problem then is fine until the next day at 5:18 PM.

I'm pretty much at my wits end with this one, anyone out there ever experience anything like this. Thanks in advance.

Thanks MikeD,

The receiver has been replaced once already (my fault, I should have mentioned that in the post), not to say it's still not a defective receiver. If nobody has had a similar experience and a fix then replacing the receiver is next on the list.

You may want to do a search in the forum, I remember seeing something similar with 722k receivers locking up at the same time. From what I gathered, it is problem with the software so replacing the receiver might not help.

Do you have a bank or something with high security near you?

I am guessing your losing signal when they set their security for the night. ;)

I had a s/c once where they claimed the stb lost signal the same time every day
It ended up having low signal strenth and being a repoint
as for the same time of day thing I could only guess that it was interfearence from the sun passing behind the satelite

I have had the same problem on one of my two 722s.

5:18PM freezes for about 3' then reboots; afterward all is OK until the next time. I did not happen every day, maybe twice a week.

I replaced the receiver three times and had two repoints to EA, new seperator, removed redundant diplexors and a new 110 (locals) LNB. Nothing helped.

I then got into several discussions with Dish senior techs and they were supposed to track my receiver remotely. Since that started I have had no more reboots for about 10 days, maybe the were able to fix it or just dumb luck...dunno!

I have the same problem on mine just about every day. It just did it a few minutes ago. It seems to happen when I have Glenn Beck on on Foxnews HD (let's leave the politics aside on that one, I just find him interesting).

The unit rarely freezes at any other time and it always seems to happen during this program at exactly the same time, though I admittedly don't watch it every day.

The unit doesn't freeze and reboot 10 seconds later (like some other freezes I've had in the past), it instead stays with a frozen frame for several minutes and eventually reboots.

Thanks for all the input fella's. I will definately post the fix once it is found. Currently ERSanders post looks as though it is the same issue and I'm looking into what needs to be done to have the 722 remotely tracked.

Not in my case and not consistently the same time (give or take a few minutes) most days.. :) My old 721 didn't do it either nor do my VIP211s. It seems that exchanging the unit wouldn't do me much, so I won't go that far yet.

I am curious to see how this one pans out. My 622 has an issue with resetting itself every day between 3:30 and 4:40 pm. Different but similar at the same time.

Hmmm. Same time, more or less, each day makes me wonder about the sun possibly overheating something. Is it his only receiver? No external switches? It's a stretch, I know, but the dish/LNB seems to be the constant here, and possibly the problem.

I look forward to hearing "the rest of the story."

Hmmm. Same time, more or less, each day makes me wonder about the sun possibly overheating something. Is it his only receiver? No external switches? It's a stretch, I know, but the dish/LNB seems to be the constant here, and possibly the problem.

I look forward to hearing "the rest of the story."

In my case I have a DPP44 (new. I had DP34 before that), 2x Dish500 DP, 2 VIP211, 1 VIP722, plenty of ventilation around the VIP722, and it only happens around that time each day. I usually have Cartoon Network or Science Channel on during the overnights and it doesn't happen then.

The sun heating up components definately makes sense. I'll have to ask the customer to note the weather when this happens as it does not happen every day.

No switches, receivers on site are the 722 in question and a 222. Now, after I tested all the system components we opted to intall the 722 on the line that the 222 was on as the 222 has had no issues. Once we switched the receivers around the 722 locked up in the line the 222 was on the day before. Thanks again for the input folks. Will continue when I have more info.

Relative to the question of the sun heating up the components and speaking only for my situation...NO! Mine has be ongoing since mid-January and it was damn cold up here with snow, ice and temps in the 20's.

I had another "5:18 PM EDT happening" yesterday.

Dish is going to try again tomorrow with the tech. visit, this time looking at the 1000.4 LNB (at last)!

Apparently the remote analysis that they tried showed no faults.

I have the same problem on my 722k but at 5:15 AM in the morning. So my way around the problem is to set a manual timer to start at 5:15 AM for the one show I record Mon-Friday . I miss the first 15 minutes , but it is just a news show, so it really doesn't matter. It gets repeated again at the half hour.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts