722k recordings getting "cut off"

baloo2944

Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Sacramento area
In the past couple days I have an issue with recordings on my DVR. While watching a show and there is time left on the recording to view, it just jumps to the end, or back to the DVR menu where you start the recording over or delete the recording. Example, watching a 2 hour show, get 45 minutes into the show, then it jumps to the end of the recording, shows 0:00 in the Time Left area, and your left staring at the menu showing the options to start over or delete the recording :mad:!!! Anyone else out there having this issue? Any ideas on how to resolve?

First.. GET THEE AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ASAP!

Second.. try the unplug for a few minutes to a few hours.. plug in.. and hopefully the system will do a good disk check.. it sounds like you're finding some sort of problem on the drive.

Are you deleting these recordings that are truncated or leaving them on there and the system keeps creating more?

ie.. if you leave the bad recordings on there.. you would expect those sectors or clusters to be marked as "in use" and thus the next new recording doesn't go into those sectors...

As to the EHD.. if you get a 2 TB one.. move everything off to the EHD, backup your timers using the #1 remote, then lookfor / ask for instructions on reformatting the internal hard drive... that way you can have it freshly formatted as the last chance hope before needing to replace the unit.

This has been a problem with the 722k since the beginning. They had it fixed for awhile, but within the last six months or so they broke it again with a software release. If I remember correctly, it had something to do with losing signal on the OTA tuner.

I have had this problem sporadically for the past several months, even got DISH to change out the 'K' because they couldn't explain why it was happening. Most recent was last week's The Mentalist. I was about forty minutes into the show, and then the menu for the end of the event was showing, along with the marker on the menu that the program I just "watched" recorded for an hour and four minutes. Right now, I would be happy if my regular 722 in the other room would keep the program guide populated. DISH swapped out the box last week, and it has failed twice to keep the guide going.

I had a similar problem with a 722 I was using a few months ago and it had to be replaced. I'm sure the DIRT will help you out when they get here in a few hours.

This has been a problem with the 722k since the beginning. They had it fixed for awhile, but within the last six months or so they broke it again with a software release. If I remember correctly, it had something to do with losing signal on the OTA tuner.
I hope that's not a mixture of the "STB Reboot" issue that some found issue with, on units with OTA built in or added (as 722k's don't come with OTA's unless requested/required at install time)

First.. GET THEE AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ASAP!

Second.. try the unplug for a few minutes to a few hours.. plug in.. and hopefully the system will do a good disk check.. it sounds like you're finding some sort of problem on the drive.

Are you deleting these recordings that are truncated or leaving them on there and the system keeps creating more?

ie.. if you leave the bad recordings on there.. you would expect those sectors or clusters to be marked as "in use" and thus the next new recording doesn't go into those sectors...

As to the EHD.. if you get a 2 TB one.. move everything off to the EHD, backup your timers using the #1 remote, then lookfor / ask for instructions on reformatting the internal hard drive... that way you can have it freshly formatted as the last chance hope before needing to replace the unit.

Thanks for the advice from everyone. Looks like I have some stuff to do tonight when I get home, and all my timers have completed for the evening. If this continues, I will be calling Dish, and see about getting a new 722k, or an upgrade.

Thanks for the advice from everyone. Looks like I have some stuff to do tonight when I get home, and all my timers have completed for the evening. If this continues, I will be calling Dish, and see about getting a new 722k, or an upgrade.
It's been a bug for a long time now. It's not you DVR. No reason to call avout replacing it till it has some real problems like rebooting allot. As far as timers just store them in the remote control with the wizard. I do that every so often just in case the box goes belly up.

I've been with Dish about 8 months & have had this happen 5 or 6 times. The original 722K was swapped with another new 722K and it has happened 3 times with the replacement unit, once when I first got it. Then it was OK for about 5 months, but now it's happened twice within the last week.

I dropped Comcast because of missed/corrupt recordings. I went through 6 DVRs in 14 months. I was hoping for more reliable service from Dish, but so far it's not happening.

I've been with Dish about 8 months & have had this happen 5 or 6 times. The original 722K was swapped with another new 722K and it has happened 3 times with the replacement unit, once when I first got it. Then it was OK for about 5 months, but now it's happened twice within the last week.

I dropped Comcast because of missed/corrupt recordings. I went through 6 DVRs in 14 months. I was hoping for more reliable service from Dish, but so far it's not happening.

It's occasional not constant which is good but it is really a pain in the A when it happens.

... Example, watching a 2 hour show, get 45 minutes into the show, then it jumps to the end of the recording, shows 0:00 in the Time Left area, and your left staring at the menu showing the options to start over or delete the recording ...
This is a known issue to Dirt Team Administrator Michael S. He and a Dish engineer in VA are waiting for this to occur on my 722k so that I can up-load my logs. Months ago we RMAd my 722k for a necropsy but Dish accidentally erased the hard drive. Dish says they've never been able to reproduce the issue on their722's.

Now that Michael S. is involved I have every hope that this will eventually get addressed and resolved.

In the past, when people have started a thread about this, the thread typically has been hijacked by well intentioned folks that want to make it a hard drive failure or will slightly change the issue to one where recordings are made as scheduled or something else.

Here is a link to another thread where the problem is discussed. I suggest that you PM Michael and let him know of the problem and, if you are willing, volunteer to swap e-mails with his engineer contact and possibly up-load you logs as instructed if the proble occurs again.

The problem is ONLY a 722k problem. It sometimes happens with OTA recordings, sometimes with Sat provided. In my case with my recording usage it may happen once or twice a month. In one case, I lost the last twelve minutes of a 1:04 long recording. Coincidentally my wife had recorded the same show on her 622. It was normal, suggesting it is not an antenna/LNB issue. Dish replaced my 722k so as to analyze the problem - the replacement 722k does the same thing.

The link is: http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-technical-discussions/228889-old-722k-bug-still-around.html

It's happened to me about three times in the last year. As Watchel said, don't go replacing you receiver. It will happen with it, too.

I believe this is the same problem that is now showing (must have been added recently) on our KPI list.

Title: DVR Events Not Playing Fully

Problem: Once a DVR event is started it may display a total recorded time that is different from what is shown on the My Recordings screen.

Solution: Submit a detailed TPR including the difference in times, the program that the issue occurred on, and if the receiver has an IP connection.

KPI - Known Product Issue
TPR - Technical Problem Report

If anyone wants to PM me an account number, along with the information asked for above, I can put in the reports

SaltiDawg,

I have 2 corrupt recordings still on my DVR & would be happy to contact Michael S. However I did not find him in this thread or in the other link you mentioned. How do I contact him?

SaltiDawg,

I have 2 corrupt recordings still on my DVR & would be happy to contact Michael S. However I did not find him in this thread or in the other link you mentioned. How do I contact him?
I PMd you his E-mail...

Thank you.

One factor with respect to submitting receiver logs is timeliness. Apparently for the logs to be of possible use in diagnosing the problem, they must be submitted "soon" after the offending recording is made. (I am speculating that the logs are constantly being created and replacing older logs???)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)