722K Screen Shots and Initial Setup Thoughts

You can name the folder whatever you want and move existing recordings or new recordings there.

So what is the overall verdict on this new hardware?

Is it worth upgrading too or is it not ready for primetime?

Quirky ota support for many. Sometimes the 4 recordings at one time causes multiple recordings of one show; ex: Charlie Chat had 8 two minute recordings and so I stopped the recording and recorded the rest again and got a 50 minute recording . I think that this is linked to the ota tuners having different signal strength- due to one coax being split into two. In fact my signal strength is lower on all of my ota channels than before with the 722 or the Echostar pal plus dvr -using the same ota antenna.

I am having hell with my UHF remote control working more than 20 feet from the receiver. Trying to get some 2 way splitters to put my silver uhf antenna in the same room with the tv2 . Hoping to get this tomorrow. Followed the option diagrams on the dish tech site.

LOVE The my groups folder options. I have all my timers set up to go into the following:

New tv- prime time shows .
CLassic tv -reruns of shows like Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, tvland shows .
Decorating tv- wife's decorating shows.
News- all news related , morning news shows.
Movies- movies that I quickly transfer to my ext.hard drive.

In conclusion it works well when it doesn't have ota problems. Hopefully this can be addressed by a software update to make the sensitivity stronger on ota , or a replacement module that works better.

Quirky ota support for many. Sometimes the 4 recordings at one time causes multiple recordings of one show; ex: Charlie Chat had 8 two minute recordings and so I stopped the recording and recorded the rest again and got a 50 minute recording . I think that this is linked to the ota tuners having different signal strength- due to one coax being split into two. In fact my signal strength is lower on all of my ota channels than before with the 722 or the Echostar pal plus dvr -using the same ota antenna.

I am having hell with my UHF remote control working more than 20 feet from the receiver. Trying to get some 2 way splitters to put my silver uhf antenna in the same room with the tv2 . Hoping to get this tomorrow. Followed the option diagrams on the dish tech site.

LOVE The my groups folder options. I have all my timers set up to go into the following:

In conclusion it works well when it doesn't have ota problems. Hopefully this can be addressed by a software update to make the sensitivity stronger on ota , or a replacement module that works better.

Thanks for the info Mike.

That is too bad about the OTA issues as that is the single reason to upgrade to it.

I wonder if they know about the problem and are working on it?

Check the related thread..some have already written Dish..and got 'we are looking into it' type responses (not saying that's bad at this point). If you are having the problem, I think it is important to email dish with your concern.

Yes in addition Dish has been watching this thread very closely.

So make sure to report any issues you might have here to SatelliteGuys as well.

Can you make folders inside of folders, etc.?

Can you make folders inside of folders, etc.?

I don't think so. You can sort the individual folders alphabetically or by dvr date or by series, length etc. You can also not use the MY Groups option and it will sort the shows just like the existing 722/622 dvrs do. I like the My groups option as it cleans up my hard drive and I can avoid looking at shows I don't want to see , like my wife's decorating shows.

How happy are you with it overall? I do not want see the thread become a bash of 722 DVRs. Everything I've read so far seems to be good with the exception of the OTA.

So far the 722k is behaving just as I'd anticipated. I've had plenty of E* DVRs and this one seems to rank up there with the best. I've had limited use over the past five days but it hasn't acted up yet. My only beef is with the tuning, or lack of tuning, of one OTA station that it should be getting.

I got 4 programs going up against each other tonight at 7:00pm central to see what might happen. I took the ota module out last night and reinserted it and made sure that all the connections are tight on all the cables on the receiver etc. I hope that there are no problems. Will report back if there are any glitches.

I got 4 programs going up against each other tonight at 7:00pm central to see what might happen. I took the ota module out last night and reinserted it and made sure that all the connections are tight on all the cables on the receiver etc. I hope that there are no problems. Will report back if there are any glitches.

So... no news is good news? :)

I hope the 922 is gonna be better. The 722k is less sophisticated and the performance so far is atrocious.
The 722k is based on the Broadcom BCM7400 DVR SoC, which is rated at twice the performance of the BCM7038 (and BCM7412) in the ViP722. FCC documents confirm the ViP922 is based on the same SoC.

As the first shipping product with the BCM7400, there are bound to be some growing pains from driver-related issues.

I suspect Dish Network will use the 722k to help sort out the issues with the ViP922, which appears to be the 722k plus an added encoder for Sling support (thanks, FCC).

The 722k is based on the Broadcom BCM7400 DVR SoC, which is rated at twice the performance of the BCM7038 (and BCM7412) in the ViP722. FCC documents confirm the ViP922 is based on the same SoC.

As the first shipping product with the BCM7400, there are bound to be some growing pains from driver-related issues.

I suspect Dish Network will use the 722k to help sort out the issues with the ViP922, which appears to be the 722k plus an added encoder for Sling support (thanks, FCC).

So twice the performance could mean better pq right? Scott G and I both have said the pq looks a bit sharper using the 722k compared to the 722 we had before. I compared the same tv show recorded on NIp /Tuck on FX channels on both the 722 and the 722k. I noticed compression artifacting on the 722 and none on the 722k on the same recorded show on the same hd tv.

Yes I have been told that the 722k software is the base code for the 922.

The 722k software is not the same software at all as the regular 722. Although they worked to make it look like the 622/722 software.

I seem to be having some trouble with the OTA module too.

Watching tv live is not a problem, its when I record something and then try to watch it I get an error every 2 minutes or so "portion missing due to lost signal" (not exact wording.) but it only appears to have 1-2 seconds of the show missing with each error.

Watched the Simpsons live without a problem and had watched Family Guy that I recorded and that was loaded with errors. (Wife had recorded Grey's Anatomy off the antenna and had the same problem.)

Signal is in the 73-85 range and doesnt drop out when we are watching it live.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts