722K Screen Shots and Initial Setup Thoughts

You have to buy the ota module to go in that 722k; $29.99 from DISH . If you want guide data for the ota channels you need to sub to a DISH local pack. You can sub to Bronze classic pack and add the HD + plat pack for another 10.00 . Then you can record 4 shows at one time ; 2ota /2 sat. OF course you will need to connect a good antenna to your 722k to get the ota to work.

You have to buy the ota module to go in that 722k; $29.99 from DISH . If you want guide data for the ota channels you need to sub to a DISH local pack. You can sub to Bronze classic pack and add the HD + plat pack for another 10.00 . Then you can record 4 shows at one time ; 2ota /2 sat. OF course you will need to connect a good antenna to your 722k to get the ota to work.
Well, I guess that was my question...I don't want to pay the extra 10 bucks for their HD. Will they still let me get the 722k as long as I buy the OTA module and the bronze package? Wasn't sure if they'd give me an HD receiver if I wasn't paying for any HD service from them.

I don't think they will allow you to get the 722k unless you take at least Bronze +hd pack but I don't know for sure. There is NO more hd enabling fee if you don't take hd now , so you could always call and ask them yourself.

Scott, I'm scheduled for a 722k install on Monday. Would it be smart to wait or just go for it. I am going to move my current 622 to the bedroom and send back my 522.

Be advised…some 722K’s come out of the box with bad remotes. The v20.0 IR for TV1 has a problem communicating with the 722K when the room light gets dim?.?. However, it works great during the daytime. As I understand it, tech support will change remote addresses prior to replacing remote with UHF/IR model. I’ve had absolutely no remote functionality at night since 8/01…the day of my install.

Got 777K up and running.

Initial impressions:

PQ NO better than 722.
Slower switching between channels. Not bad, but not lightning like before.

May be the latest, but no greater than 722. With the exception of OTA module (and recording 4 at a time), it's the same. Still running through the paces.

So, overall, not overwhelmed.

Initial impressions:

PQ NO better than 722.
Slower switching between channels. Not bad, but not lightning like before.

May be the latest, but no greater than 722. With the exception of OTA module (and recording 4 at a time), it's the same. Still running through the paces.

So, overall, not overwhelmed.

I've had the 722k for about 4 months now and I find it is just as fast as the 722 in changing channels, but the interactive programmable remote control is great, you can now control every device in your system with one control and that's a big difference.

I've had the 722k for about 4 months now and I find it is just as fast as the 722 in changing channels, but the interactive programmable remote control is great, you can now control every device in your system with one control and that's a big difference.
After a couple of reboots, the channel switch has sped up. Agreed, the remote is nice, but since I have a Harmony, I probably won't use it much.

After a couple of reboots, the channel switch has sped up. Agreed, the remote is nice, but since I have a Harmony, I probably won't use it much.

One very nice thing with the remote is that it will store your timers and settings so that if a swap is needed, you can set up the new 722k quickly.

I have a couple of problems with the TV1 remote on my 722k.

I have programmed the AUX button to turn on and off my surround sound but the mode selector for AUX is irratic, sometimes it lights up when I press it but about 2/3 of the time I have to press the AUX button 2 or 3 times before it lights up red so I can turn on/off my surround sound.

Second is the response of the keys when inputting text for a search or renaming a recording, sometimes the multiple key presses to get letters like r, s c, f, etc. fail and I get the incorrect letter on the screen and have to back up and redo part of the name. This is not an occasional happening, it occurrs usually a couple of times every time I try to enter text. I never had any trouble at all with my old 622 silver remote.

IT seems like the keypad on the new 20.0 IR remote is not as high quality as the old 5.3 IR remotes was.

Similar

I have a couple of problems with the TV1 remote on my 722k.

I have programmed the AUX button to turn on and off my surround sound but the mode selector for AUX is irratic, sometimes it lights up when I press it but about 2/3 of the time I have to press the AUX button 2 or 3 times before it lights up red so I can turn on/off my surround sound.

Second is the response of the keys when inputting text for a search or renaming a recording, sometimes the multiple key presses to get letters like r, s c, f, etc. fail and I get the incorrect letter on the screen and have to back up and redo part of the name. This is not an occasional happening, it occurrs usually a couple of times every time I try to enter text. I never had any trouble at all with my old 622 silver remote.

IT seems like the keypad on the new 20.0 IR remote is not as high quality as the old 5.3 IR remotes was.

I'm not as happy w/ the 20 remote as I was with my 622's remote. It has a really bad habit of double punching. As in I want to pause and it pause-play then I have to hit pause again. It's irritating. If trying to do search it will do 2 of the same letter & I have to back up. I think it is due to they have changed the type of plastic use in the buttons and makes them stiffer.

I'm not as happy w/ the 20 remote as I was with my 622's remote. It has a really bad habit of double punching. As in I want to pause and it pause-play then I have to hit pause again. It's irritating. If trying to do search it will do 2 of the same letter & I have to back up. I think it is due to they have changed the type of plastic use in the buttons and makes them stiffer.
Here is another observation. I use a Harmony remote and have experienced similar issues, primarily having to press two or three times. So, that suggest to me a weakness in the IR sensor????

Here is another observation. I use a Harmony remote and have experienced similar issues, primarily having to press two or three times. So, that suggest to me a weakness in the IR sensor????

In the last 2 days I've had a few problems with my remote. This morning I FF on a recorded program and when I tried to play, it just stay in FF mode. The 722k wouldn't respond to any of the remote comands. It wasn't until the program was at the end that I was able to get control again with the remote.
I haven't changed anything in my system or moved anything in the TV room. I've also had some problems scrolling through the guide too.
Ghpr13:)

20/21 Series Remotes are poorly designed . . .

I now have several 21.0's to replace failing 6.3's and must say the buttons are harder to push (longer living contacts and more resilient buttons - a problem in the previous versions) and the physical design of the unit is awkward compared to the 6.x's and probably being use to using the 6.x's for years. It's harder to handle having to reposition it in your hand, and I have large hands, to reach some buttons or come back to (wider spacing of the buttons, wider girth of the remote). And the device buttons on the top, it's like they don't want you using these with anything else. I have a Harmony One on my 722 and have not had any "multi-fire" issues. Although, Logitec's IR library has many erroneous code sets that cause double firing. I originally wanted the 21.0 for Grandma's early adopted HDTV whose IR codes were not industry standard. She has a 625, the Rocket Scientist/Old SciFi Freak, of which it worked great with, but she has Arthritis and can't push the buttons effectively. Didn't think of that one, huh DISH/E*. Might want to revisit this in the next iteration. I have noticed that because of this I have had more miss presses than I do with the 6.x's and at times have really had to mash down on the buttons to get a result. AND although the interface is there for the 2-way settings storage, the feature is not "active" in many of the DVR's that it's in. I saw the feature before I got any of the 21's and thought that my days of taking snapshots of the setup screens and timers were over when, as DISH likes to so very often do, replace receivers. But nope. I was told yes it works in all the DVR's that it is in, but I guess that is DISH speak for "soon".

Anyway . . .

Have yet another problem.

I had some rain this morning and noticed a problem.
During the rain fade, I lost my locals on 129 spot 14. Splash screen says not to call, dish knows there is a problem. No biggie, that makes sense.
BUT, after the rain and sky cleared, that splash screen stayed up until I changed the channel and back again. This has happened before but I didn't think much of it until it happened again.

Remote Control Issues

I received my new 722k yesterday and have some remote issues as well. The TV1remote only works intermittently. The problem also affects my Harmony remote. I even tried switching the tv2 remote to tv1 and changing to IR, but no go. I've also changed the remote address to 3, and it did not help. The receiver seems to ignore 50 - 75% of the commands. If I place the remote within 6 inches of the receiver, it seems to work fine. So, I'm getting a replacement receiver today and we'll see if it helps. It seems to me to be a problem with the IR receiver. I have no external lighting or lamps that could be causing the mysterious interference.

I received my new 722k yesterday and have some remote issues as well. The TV1remote only works intermittently. The problem also affects my Harmony remote. I even tried switching the tv2 remote to tv1 and changing to IR, but no go. I've also changed the remote address to 3, and it did not help. The receiver seems to ignore 50 - 75% of the commands. If I place the remote within 6 inches of the receiver, it seems to work fine. So, I'm getting a replacement receiver today and we'll see if it helps. It seems to me to be a problem with the IR receiver. I have no external lighting or lamps that could be causing the mysterious interference.

I had to up the repeats by one on my Harmony to get it to respond after L655 came down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)