722K Screen Shots and Initial Setup Thoughts

Remote Problems Resolved

A dish tech determined the cause of my remote problems. The TV is somehow interfering with the reception of the IR on TV1. If you turn off the TV, the remote works propertly. When the TV is on, it works intermittently. The TV is a Vizio 47" LCD 1080P 120hz. Dish replaced the TV1 IR remote with a 2nd UHF remote set to a different address from TV2. All works well now. The tech said they have seen multiple reports of this problem with the 722K.

Hey. I have a 722K. I'll note if I seem to be having any similar issues.
B.jpg

Certain LCD TV's have been noted to interfere with the IR, especially when first turned on.

The problem seems to go away after 30min to 1 hour (backlight gets warmed up), maybe.

Well, I guess that was my question...I don't want to pay the extra 10 bucks for their HD. Will they still let me get the 722k as long as I buy the OTA module and the bronze package? Wasn't sure if they'd give me an HD receiver if I wasn't paying for any HD service from them.

Yes,

They will give you an HD receiver and you will get HD programming without paying for an HD package.

If your locals are in HD and you subscribe to your locals you will get the HD cahnnels too if they are avalible.

If you subscribe to HBO you will get HBO HD too.

You only need to subscribe to the HD package to get the HD only channels.

hello everyone,
i would like to say that i have had the 722k since may when i switched to dish from the other.
and i have only had one problem and that is with the remotes.
the tech had to come back and install the antenna on tv2 via cable/splitter.
for the tv2 remote to work like it should.

other than that i cannot figure out the ota thing.
what do you need to do to get it running?
my receiver came with it installed and i see two hookups for cables but i don't know if you have to have it turned on or another dish or what.

could someone explain this to me please? thanks

hello everyone,
i would like to say that i have had the 722k since may when i switched to dish from the other.

my receiver came with it installed and i see two hookups for cables but i don't know if you have to have it turned on or another dish or what.

There are 3 to be hooked up w/ the 722k. 2 for sat and 1 for OTA. Are you sure you have the OTA module installed and not just the sat tuners. Also you need to have the sats set-up and working before the OTA is put in then scan for the locals.

hello everyone,

Did you purchase the Over The Air module? It's about $29.99.

I found this, it might help. I'm sure Scott will appreciate it!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_76boIpA2dw"]YouTube - Dish 722k Explained[/ame]

My 722k seem to be working fine. No remote problems. I have an LCD tv but it's TV2 so no problems with the UHF remote.

I did add the HD package after installation.

Last edited:
Quick question and sorry if its answered somewhere deep in the thread/elsewhere--but I perused and didn't find the info.

I had a 722K installed a few weeks ago with a new service setup (was a Dish sub a year ago, had to cancel due to line-of-sight at prev place), and just last night discovered that the new 722 has no built-in OTA tuner. Just assumed it was the same as the 722 I had back in the day, which I had hooked up to a rooftop antenna--so I ordered a flat RCA indoor that works well with my 622 upstairs and, whoops, no Ant in jack!

Well, I see from this thread that one can order an OTA upgrade, but two questions: 1)is it a straight call to Dish to order, and 2) can I install it myself--hate the idea of having to do a service call if its relatively simple?

Thanks!

Just inplug the unit, remove the back plate, insert the module, connect RG-6 cable, boot up the receiver and do the scans and OTA setup.

You can buy one from Dish or The Dish Store at the top of the page.

Just inplug the unit, remove the back plate, insert the module, connect RG-6 cable, boot up the receiver and do the scans and OTA setup.

You can buy one from Dish or The Dish Store at the top of the page.

Sweet--figured to be a simple two-screws op by the look of it. Thanks. Ordering away...

Now my question is whether I can convince Dish to reg my USB externals to the new 722 unit or whether they're going to slap me w/ another $40 fee...

Just so you know, with the OTA module, you will have 2 OTA tuners now. That way you can record 4 channels at once (2 sat, 2 ota).

To the best of my knowledge, that $40 fee is one time, so you won't have to pay it again. I didn't.

Just so you know, with the OTA module, you will have 2 OTA tuners now. That way you can record 4 channels at once (2 sat, 2 ota).

To the best of my knowledge, that $40 fee is one time, so you won't have to pay it again. I didn't.

Yep, the two-tuners is quite nice. I like getting added value if I'm going to have to pony up for a feature that was effectively taken out of the new version to save cost--takes some of the sting out of paying coin for a jack you expected to be there. The OTA module is ordered and on its way...

And the USB external storage fee I was fearing I'd have to pay--voila, it's still active in my account from before, so I won't have to pay that. YES! Only caveat is the new receiver unit will likely need to wipe out/reformat my old drive, so I'll lose some old recordings. Oh well...

If you have recordings from a 622/722, the 722k will recognize them and play them as long as the receivers are/were all on the same account.

If you have recordings from a 622/722, the 722k will recognize them and play them as long as the receivers are/were all on the same account.

Awesome--the recs were indeed done on a 722 and under the same account number. I'm going to dig out the hard drive and test it tonight!

UPDATE: Indeed, the USB drive fired up, was recognized by the new 722K and I was able to both view content and move media to the drive without a hitch, no re-formatting, no hiccups. Nice :)!

Last edited:
new here, go easy on me...

Yep, the two-tuners is quite nice. I like getting added value if I'm going to have to pony up for a feature that was effectively taken out of the new version to save cost--takes some of the sting out of paying coin for a jack you expected to be there. The OTA module is ordered and on its way...

And the USB external storage fee I was fearing I'd have to pay--voila, it's still active in my account from before, so I won't have to pay that. YES! Only caveat is the new receiver unit will likely need to wipe out/reformat my old drive, so I'll lose some old recordings. Oh well...

Hi, so I just went and read about 75% of this thread and have a newbie question..I live in Queens NYC and am told I have no line of sight to 61.5 (for local HD). I went ahead and got the MT2 for my 722K-HD. I plugged a RCA ANT120B into the OTA connector of the MT2 and can only pickup 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3. If I plug the same ANT120B into my TV, it picks up alot more channels.

My question is, what am I doing wrong and can anyone in the area give me a breakdown of how they have their MT2 setup? I am desperate to get my local HD channels back...but I refuse to go back to Time Warner Cable..

Thanks in advance!

-Jack

Hi, so I just went and read about 75% of this thread and have a newbie question..I live in Queens NYC and am told I have no line of sight to 61.5 (for local HD). I went ahead and got the MT2 for my 722K-HD. I plugged a RCA ANT120B into the OTA connector of the MT2 and can only pickup 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3. If I plug the same ANT120B into my TV, it picks up alot more channels.

My question is, what am I doing wrong and can anyone in the area give me a breakdown of how they have their MT2 setup? I am desperate to get my local HD channels back...but I refuse to go back to Time Warner Cable..

Thanks in advance!

-Jack

Change your Analog Type, Menu, 6, 8, OffAir...

Menue...6...8...Analogue Type...Off Air. Obviously set to cable currently. Rescan.

Finally fixed freezing bug with L6.62

Thanks for checking and confirming this bug. I have never had it freeze anything when viewing, just erasing.

Our viewing process is to record all new episodes of favorite shows and transfer them to the EHD (a 500 Gb WD) and all nighttime viewing is off the EHD while the 722k continues to record new shows. This works well for us because anytime we have the time to sit down and watch, we have a new, unwatched episode of a favorite show to watch. BUT here's what I discovered:

1. When you erase a recording from the EHD it freezes one or more of the digital streams in the 722k receiver.

2. By using the PIP you can view two of the streams and after the erasure on the EHD one or both will freeze. (doesn't matter if it is a satellite tuner or an OTA tuner)

3. If you are recording one of those streams the recording will also be of the frozen screen and no sound from the time you erased until the end of the recording time.

4. Any change will then unfreeze the stream, i.e channel change, power off and on, etc. It is not necessary to reboot so the work around is to NOT erase a show on the EHD while the 722k is recording.

I was able to reliably reproduce this on two 722k's and Dish engineers have taken the report. I no longer have a 622 or a 722 so I don't know if this only applies to a 722k with L6.51 or also applies to a 722 with L6.18, maybe someone else can verify that. I no longer lose shows but the bug is still there.

Amazing, just over one year I've had this problem and finally L6.62 seems to have fixed the freezing. I've tested over 10 erasures on the EHD and not one freeze.