722K Sound Issue

Discussion in 'DISH Network Support Forum' started by ClarkGable, Sep 30, 2019.

1. ClarkGable

ClarkGable Topic Starter SatelliteGuys Guru

Just wondering if anyone else using older receivers has experienced this....

We have a refurb 722K that Dish sent to replace a dead unit earlier this year. Twice within the past month, the sound stopped working. On one occasion, the DVR was recording a show. The sound was fine on what was recorded, but we could not get sound on any live channel. A reset fixed it until late last night.

Same thing happened as my wife was watching on TV2 (so not likely an HDMI issue). She said that after the 3:00 AM guide update, the sound was back.

Software version is L924. Any ideas? Upgrading to the Hopper Duo is not an option due to increased monthly cost for a Joey on TV2.

Thanks!

2. DISH Support

DISH Support OFFICIAL DISH SUPPORT Staff Member DISH DIRT TEAM!

Good morning, ClarkGable! I am sorry to hear you are having these sound issues with your 772K receiver. I would love to check a few things to see what could be causing this and what options we have available to get it resolved. When the sound went out both times, was it during the same time of day (specifically during Primetime programming)? --Sam F

3. ClarkGable

ClarkGable Topic Starter SatelliteGuys Guru

Thanks for your help, Sam. While the first occurrence was during prime time, last night's incident was very late. My wife had trouble sleeping, so she turned on TV2 around 2:30 AM and there was no sound. Sound (on TV1 HDMI) was fine when we went to bed around 10 PM.

4. DISH Support

DISH Support OFFICIAL DISH SUPPORT Staff Member DISH DIRT TEAM!

You are most welcome and that does seem strange. We would love to investigate this further to find the perfect solution so you can get back to enjoying your DISH service with full sound. You can reach out to our Chat Technical Support teams by clicking this link: Request Rejected and they will be able to access your account and equipment information. -- Sam F

5. rdagw

rdagw Member

I have some what the same problem except my vip222k freezes. If I take the daily update it will freeze about 7-10 times in a day. Normal reset don`t do much, if I unplug it several times it will quit freezing. If I cancel the update it works great, until I forget to cancel the update, them we start all over. I think they are sending something with the update to make this happen. Their way to get you into the hoppers.

6. HipKat

HipKat SatelliteGuys Master Pub Member / Supporter

I see a Hopper in both of your futures.....

7. rdagw

rdagw Member

That`s what they want.

satjay likes this.
  8. HipKat

At some point, staying with Dish will mean a Hopper or Wallys. I look at it this way. You can sing that new contract now or you can sign it later lol

satjay, peggy97850 and charlesrshell like this.
  9. dare2be

dare2be SatelliteGuys God Lifetime Supporter

The later the better. :)

satjay and TheKrell like this.
  10. edisonprime

edisonprime SatelliteGuys Pro

I should SING the contract? Yeah, I’ll sing out loud the words in the contract! What kind of tune should I put it to? Sorry, dumb joke!

HipKat likes this.
  11. HipKat

The later you sign, the later you're tied to it

12. rdagw

rdagw Member

No contract for me, I buy my own receiver. I have had dish for about 20 years and I do real good with the loyalty people. I have the up front money but with the money I save over a 2 year contract dish pays for my receivers plus money in my pocket.

13. Bobby

Bobby Publican Supporting Founder

and what money do you save besides whatever tax you may pay on those owned receivers. Your monthly cost is exactly the same whether it be owned or leased.

HipKat and peggy97850 like this.
  14. rdagw

rdagw Member

Not if you are in a contract.

15. rdagw

rdagw Member

example If you and I get the same programming for lets say $100.00. You are in a contract for 2 years at 100 a month, I am not in a contract and can negotiate to 75 a month. So 25 in savings more than pays for receiver over 2 years. I got premium channels for free or 6 months at half off for years.

16. Bobby

Bobby Publican Supporting Founder

and I can call and negotiate a price even while under contract.

17. JSheridan

JSheridan Full Time Resident Pub Member / Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The 'contract price' is usually a promotional deal that often saves more than your $25 per month.

HipKat, charlesrshell and Bobby like this.
  18. CommsGuru

CommsGuru Member

I've had problems with missing sound on SD channels. For the past week, the problem has escalated to frozen video on startup. I am using the HDMI interface, and I found a work around. I can change the input on my TV from HDMI 1 (Hopper) to HDMI 2 (unused) then back to HDMI 1. It restores all the features. This also provides recovery when I change to an SD channel and I get no sound.
    HDMI is a complex interface with a negotiation for video type and sound parameters. If the negotiation gets locked up, the TV will use the last successful negotiation which can result in no sound or no video or neither. Changing the HDMI input forces the negotiation to reset and restart.
    My Toshiba TV is 8 month old. It worked fine for 8 month minus a week. Clearly, it is not the TV. It appears to me (as an Engineer with 40 years experience developing communication hardware, software and network architecture) to be a software bug introduced in the Sept. 29, 2019 Hopper update. It could be earlier since I am not sure when the SD sound problem started. I don't watch much SD TV.
    I have an appointment with a Dish TV tech tomorrow.

19. JSheridan

JSheridan Full Time Resident Pub Member / Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Have you tried turning off HDMI-CEC?

TheKrell and charlesrshell like this.
  20. TheKrell

TheKrell A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV. Pub Member / Supporter

Is there a setting for that on a J3? This might help my situation with the perverse one-power-button 54 remote.

Separate names with a comma.

More...