722K Sound Issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Have you tried turning off HDMI-CEC?

Thanks for the suggestion, but the audio issue apparently was just the symptom of our receiver kicking the bucket. The receiver developed other issues in the next two weeks, including screen freezing, a zombie-like state where it would respond to nothing but unplugging, a 981 error message boot recovery, and continued random freezes and reboots.

Dish sent us another 722K which has worked fine so far.

One thing I learned is that it is best to call tech support close to 8:00 AM Eastern. I actually talked to someone in the US who could actually help. My worst experience was a 9:30 PM call where I was on hold for 30 minutes, and then had to talk to someone with a heavy accent in a foreign call center. My inability to understand her made the call less than fruitful.

I've been a Dish Customer for like 20 years... joined when they had absolutely no Fiel Service. I bought my first two Receivers from a Ham Radio Shop called Grady's in New England - Phone Order. (One of the two receivers was defective - I had to pay to ship it back to them.
Of course, did the entire install myself... and to my standards of cable runs, etc.

Currently have a 722 and also a 722K. The 722k has a problem that has existed since they debuted - Early Termination. It was a known issue years ago and yet they never fixed it. !@#$%

Wife and I would love to get a Hopper or two, but do not want installers running Coax/Cat6 along baseboards, etc. I'm not smart enough to understand if my existing Coax would suffice and still yield the Hopper flexibility.

Guess I'm stuck where I am.

I've had problems with missing sound on SD channels. For the past week, the problem has escalated to frozen video on startup. I am using the HDMI interface, and I found a work around. I can change the input on my TV from HDMI 1 (Hopper) to HDMI 2 (unused) then back to HDMI 1. It restores all the features. This also provides recovery when I change to an SD channel and I get no sound.

I have an appointment with a Dish TV tech tomorrow.

Update: The tech came by and replaced the Hopper then left before I could completely test it. It is still broken. It takes 15 minutes to get it to malfunction. The Hopper is kind of a hoopty, now. A hoopty is a car which requires special instructions if someone wants to borrow it: To start, press the accelerator once and release. Try to start it for 3 seconds then stop. Press the accelerator 3 times and wait 5 seconds. Try to start it for no more than 10 seconds. If it does not start, go inside and wait 15 minutes before trying again. Be sure the car is pointed northeast.
Hopper is a hoopty. I am shopping for streaming services.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Update: The tech came by and replaced the Hopper then left before I could completely test it. It is still broken. It takes 15 minutes to get it to malfunction. The Hopper is kind of a hoopty, now. A hoopty is a car which requires special instructions if someone wants to borrow it: To start, press the accelerator once and release. Try to start it for 3 seconds then stop. Press the accelerator 3 times and wait 5 seconds. Try to start it for no more than 10 seconds. If it does not start, go inside and wait 15 minutes before trying again. Be sure the car is pointed northeast.
Hopper is a hoopty. I am shopping for streaming services.

If two different Hoppers are doing the exact same thing you can rest assured that the problem is not the Hopper but somewhere in your setup.

I still say you should check and see that the HDMI-CEC is turned off in the Hopper and try a new HDMI wire if you haven't already.

If two different Hoppers are doing the exact same thing you can rest assured that the problem is not the Hopper but somewhere in your setup.

I still say you should check and see that the HDMI-CEC is turned off in the Hopper and try a new HDMI wire if you haven't already.
I have tried 3 HDMI cables including one that I just bought. I have tested with all 3 HDMI inputs on my TV. I would really like to find the HDMI-CEC control.

Menu > Settings > Remote Control > Advanced > HDMI-CEC
Aha! there it is! I turned HDMI-CEC off. It is different, but not right. The sound on my SD channel will still go silent when I switch from an HD to an SD channel. Simply power cycling the TV restores the sound. I used to have to change to an unused HDMI port then back to the hopper HDMI port to get the sound restored. It will take a while to see if the video locks up after power down. That takes 15 minutes.
Thanks much.

Aha! there it is! I turned HDMI-CEC off. It is different, but not right. The sound on my SD channel will still go silent when I switch from an HD to an SD channel. Simply power cycling the TV restores the sound. I used to have to change to an unused HDMI port then back to the hopper HDMI port to get the sound restored. It will take a while to see if the video locks up after power down. That takes 15 minutes.
Thanks much.

You're welcome. When you don't have sound on an SD channel try the skip back button on the Hopper remote and see if that gets the audio playing.

Thanks for the reply, but there is no HDMI-CEC control

I followed JSheridan's instructions and turned it off on my J3.
There are 24 options under settings. I looked though all of them including SAP, Bluetooth and Alexa. There is nothing related to HDMI that I can find. Is it tucked away somewhere else?

Oh, it's in the obvious place. In the REMOTE setup! :rolleyes:
Menu > Settings > Remote Control > Advanced > HDMI-CEC

I always suspected Dish programmers were crazy. ;)

Thanks much.
After the 15 minutes of idle (everything off) the video was not locked, but audio is utterly unpredictable. I lose audio on an SD channel (247) then change to an HD channel (246) where the audio comes back. I change to another HD channel (5) and there is audio. I turn back to 247 (SD) and the audio is there. Audio is present on 246 (HD) as well. Audio on 5 (HD) is missing now. Changing channels results in random audio outage.

I think my patience is at an end for the evening. I'm starting to wonder if TV is worth even this much irritation. The news is intolerable no matter what your point of view. Maybe I should live without TV, and use that time to grow my own vegetables. No twitter, no Facebook... I could live through the last days of our planet in blissful ignorance until the bombs wipe us all out.
The Dish TV tech comes Wednesday. Maybe I can put it off for a couple days.

I've been a Dish Customer for like 20 years... joined when they had absolutely no Fiel Service. I bought my first two Receivers from a Ham Radio Shop called Grady's in New England - Phone Order. (One of the two receivers was defective - I had to pay to ship it back to them.
Of course, did the entire install myself... and to my standards of cable runs, etc.

Currently have a 722 and also a 722K. The 722k has a problem that has existed since they debuted - Early Termination. It was a known issue years ago and yet they never fixed it. !@#$%

Wife and I would love to get a Hopper or two, but do not want installers running Coax/Cat6 along baseboards, etc. I'm not smart enough to understand if my existing Coax would suffice and still yield the Hopper flexibility.

Guess I'm stuck where I am.
All they need is one good line for the Hopper and you can use Wireless Joeys for the other TV's or, your cable may be fine. The only way to know is to look at the print on the casing and see if it says 3.0Ghz and/or if the cazble itselk is about a 3/8" thick. RG59 is a bit less than a 1/4", which you can use for the Joeys, but not the Hopper

I think my patience is at an end for the evening. I'm starting to wonder if TV is worth even this much irritation. The news is intolerable no matter what your point of view. Maybe I should live without TV, and use that time to grow my own vegetables. No twitter, no Facebook... I could live through the last days of our planet in blissful ignorance until the bombs wipe us all out.
The Dish TV tech comes Wednesday. Maybe I can put it off for a couple days.
Try, if you have one, a different TV at that receiver and see what happens. If the sound is fine, then it's your TV.

Also on both the Hopper and primarily the TV, try setting the sound settings to PCM

Last edited:
I received a new software update last night and the box is working much better today. I consistently have sound and video on all channels. It is slow, twitchy with plenty of peccadilloes just as it was -when it is at its best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts