722K Tuner 2 via IR

zman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
I was looking at the online user guide for the 722k and found this:

Changing UHF/IR Using the Switch
Your TV2 remote control has a switch to change from sending both IR and UHF signals to sending only IR. The switch comes preset to the UHF position, which sends both types of signals, but if you have a clear line of sight to the satellite receiver you’re controlling with this remote, then you can change the setting to the IR position to lessen the likelihood ofanother UHF remote interfering with yours. This is applicable for TV2 in Dual User mode.

Does this mean that you can control tuner 2 via IR? If so then it would be worth getting this unit just so I can move my Slingbox over to tuner 2. Assuming of course Sling has the codes to do this. Right now I have my slingbox on tuner of my VIP622 because it cannot control tuner 2 via IR signals.

I am having hell with this new remote control. I am going to get two splitters to see if I can combine the home distribution to the remote antenna so I can move the antenna into tv 2 room to be able to contol the damn box. It is less sensitive than the older 722 remote controls. I tried to use the old remote and it couldn't control it either.

I am having hell with this new remote control. I am going to get two splitters to see if I can combine the home distribution to the remote antenna so I can move the antenna into tv 2 room to be able to contol the damn box. It is less sensitive than the older 722 remote controls. I tried to use the old remote and it couldn't control it either.

And your response has absolutely nothing to do with the OP's question. (neither does mine)

And your response has absolutely nothing to do with the OP's question. (neither does mine)

Well I am only agreeing that I am too having problems with my tv 2 . As far making it work in IR mode I am not sure it would work, unless my suggestion works for Ir as well. Strangely today I tested the old uhf remote in my bedroom and it works for now. Lets see how long it last this time.

I was looking at the online user guide for the 722k and found this:

Changing UHF/IR Using the Switch
Your TV2 remote control has a switch to change from sending both IR and UHF signals to sending only IR. The switch comes preset to the UHF position, which sends both types of signals, but if you have a clear line of sight to the satellite receiver you’re controlling with this remote, then you can change the setting to the IR position to lessen the likelihood ofanother UHF remote interfering with yours. This is applicable for TV2 in Dual User mode.

Does this mean that you can control tuner 2 via IR? If so then it would be worth getting this unit just so I can move my Slingbox over to tuner 2. Assuming of course Sling has the codes to do this. Right now I have my slingbox on tuner of my VIP622 because it cannot control tuner 2 via IR signals.

Check out this thread:

sticky.gif
Dish Network 21.0 Learning Remote Instructions

No, it seems to only control TV2 in the UHF position and only TV1 in the IR position.

Hope this answered your question.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get anyone on this forum to test controlling TV2 with IR on a 722k. Seems like everyone who currently has a 722k isn't interested in this.

Check out this thread:

sticky.gif
Dish Network 21.0 Learning Remote Instructions

No, it seems to only control TV2 in the UHF position and only TV1 in the IR position.

Hope this answered your question.

It is clear from the thread that you point at that for the 222k, TV2 in dual mode can only be controlled by UHF, despite the fact that the 222k user guide clearly says that you can control TV2 in dual mode by changing the switch in the TV2 remote to IR.

I took a look at the 722k manual, and the first page in chapter 10 has the same language as the 222k that says you can control TV2 in dual mode by changing the switch in the TV2 remote to IR. It seems unlikely that this is going to work for the 722k, but if someone who has a 722k would follow the directions on page 74 of the user guide, give it a try and report back, then we would know for sure.

Ok tested this just a few minutes ago.

The answer is NO you can not control TV2 via IR.

When you flip the switch on the remote to turn it from UHF to IR the remote then becomes a TV1 remote.

Ok tested this just a few minutes ago.

The answer is NO you can not control TV2 via IR.

When you flip the switch on the remote to turn it from UHF to IR the remote then becomes a TV1 remote.

Scott, thanks for testing.....Dish needs to fix the user guide.....Maybe Dish intends to eventually come out with receivers that do support IR for TV2....Meanwhile we are still waiting for them do so so, or to ship the TV2 to IR converter, which has been coming "soon" since last September.

Shucks!

Shucks! I thought this might finally be the receiver where they would add IR control for TV2. Guess I gotta keep waiting for the IR to UHF converter. I wonder what will come out first, the 922 or the IR to UHF converter.

Well I can't believe it but My Tv 2 remote control is now working again with my sat receiver. I did put a second silver antenna on the diplexed signal in my bedroom on the sat side of the diplexor. My older style 722 remote control works fine now with the receiver. THe new fangeled 21.0 remote control works , but it takes more effort to get it work . I really have to push hard on the buttons and it has to be pointed at the silver uhf antenna. So my answer is use the old uhf remote to control my tv.

Thanks to everyone for their time and effort to test and answer my question.
I guess I too will have to wait for the 9xxk to come out
It really seems strange that with all the new technology dish is coming out with, they cannot do some simple things like getting a slingbox to work on tuner two or letting us share recordings between recievers in the same house.....

TV2 IR 722k

There is an option in the System Setup Wizard on the 722k to set TV2 to IR. However, when you do this, it presents a message saying this configuration is currently not supported. So, I think there is hope that one day you will be able to control TV2 via IR on a 722k.

Well I can't believe it but My Tv 2 remote control is now working again with my sat receiver. I did put a second silver antenna on the diplexed signal in my bedroom on the sat side of the diplexor. My older style 722 remote control works fine now with the receiver. THe new fangeled 21.0 remote control works , but it takes more effort to get it work . I really have to push hard on the buttons and it has to be pointed at the silver uhf antenna. So my answer is use the old uhf remote to control my tv.

I have the new 21.0 remote and have it set to UHF/IR mode for TV1 and it works anywhere in the house without any problems. i would call dish and tell them you have a defective remote. I also have a 5.3 remote and am using it on TV1 also when i am in the same room as the receiver. works great.

I have a 21.0 Remote on my 722. I have that working on UHF Pro. The 722 and 722k rec will not work TV2 in IR mode as the IR signal is not strong enough to go through walls. Thats why they developed UHF Pro. You might want to use the diplexer idea and relocate the antenna to the room having the problem. Connect the antenna to the "Sat" end and the UHF/VHF to your TV. Then connect the IN/OUT to the cable that goes to your reciever.
There, connect the cable running to the TV to the IN/OUT of the other diplexer, then connect the corresponding cables to their places (SAT to the Antenna port, UHF/VHF to the Home Distribution port).

It can get a bit tricky, so you might want to call dish to schedule a tech to do it for you. This actually will help with the problems you are having with the remote as far as range.

There is an option in the System Setup Wizard on the 722k to set TV2 to IR. However, when you do this, it presents a message saying this configuration is currently not supported. So, I think there is hope that one day you will be able to control TV2 via IR on a 722k.
Considering they put that switch on remote 2, have the paragraph in the manual, and the option, albeit disabled, in the setup menu, I'd say your hope is justified.

The only way IR will work on a 722k TV2 is if the TV2 is in the same room. IR signals WILL NOT go through walls like the UHF signals. The reason the remote has the switch is because its universal. Flip the key over on the bottom of the remote and you will see the TV1 Green Key. Flip it again, and you will see the TV2 Blue Key.

The only way IR will work on a 722k TV2 is if the TV2 is in the same room. IR signals WILL NOT go through walls like the UHF signals. The reason the remote has the switch is because its universal. Flip the key over on the bottom of the remote and you will see the TV1 Green Key. Flip it again, and you will see the TV2 Blue Key.

You do not understand the reasons why IR for TV2 (in dual mode) is a desired feature. It is not because anyone thinks IR signals will pass through walls. Two of the desired applications are use of universal remote controls with IR repeaters, and use of devices with IR blasters (such as the slingbox).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts