722K users - picture quality compared to 722/622?

JEFFinINDY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
Hello, 722K users,

Early on, there were reports that the 722K had noticeably better PQ than the 622/722 receivers. Is this still the case? Has anyone done a recent A/B comparison between a K and a non-K?

Jeff

I find it questionable that hardware has a greater effect on picture quality than the quality of the signal in the pipe.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear, but you can make a pile of strings out of a silk purse.

I no longer have my old 722s to compare, but when I first got the 722k , there was a difference in pq . I noticed an improvement in pq when I went from 622 to a 722 as well. I don't think that its enough to really make you upgrade if you are happy with the 722. I noticed the pq improved to me when I went from western arc to eastern arc, on sd channels. They are all mpeg4 and that might be why it looks better to me. I think that the newer chip set in the 722k might be why the pq looked better to me . But in the end as always your mileage might vary.

I find it questionable that hardware has a greater effect on picture quality than the quality of the signal in the pipe.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear, but you can make a pile of strings out of a silk purse.

Well, it is a different Broadcom chip, so your statement is not accurate.

If you upgrade a video card, it allows you to do more things, so, if Broadcoms newest chip produced a sharper image, then its possible. I havent read anything where this model chip has video improvements, but who knows. I feel the menus are sharper, but they are new programming.

On my 50" tv, Ive not really noticed either, and I have not been looking real close.

My informal observation is that the 722k does have better PQ than the 622. The menus are a little sharper looking too. (Strange!)

My observation is the 722K and 222K does, indeed, have a slight, but noticeable better PQ. In fact, the 222 PQ also looks even more noticeably better than the 722.

Best PQ's in my household:
1. Tivo Series 3
2. 222, 222K, 722K
3. 722

The differences between 1-2 are VERY slight, but those 2 are noticeably superior to the 722. However, the 722 still has great PQ, and you would not notice unless you had other boxes to make a comparison.

Yes, the quality of the hardware inside (chipset, etc.) and the bandwidth in and out of the HDD will make a difference. There is a noticeable difference between the Tivo Series 3 / HDXL and the Tivo HD, for example. In other words, the THX certification is something that can be appreciated in the PQ.

I just upgraded from a 622 to 722k and noticed that the text in the guide looks sharper. Haven't noticed any PQ difference while watching shows.

722K video is much crisper than my 622 or 722. Especially noticeable on the menu system UI, text on HD channels. Video also seems crisper/more colorful to my eyes.

I have a 722K on a 52 five year old projection and a 612 on a 42 plasma and dont notice much picture difference. maybe slight difference with the 612. But both HD pictures are sharp!!

A non-technical person in my house commented last night on how much sharper and better the colors were on the Jay Leno show (comes in high definition over the air). So, I think there is definitely better picture "processing" on the 722k than the 622. I've noticed it myself too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts