771 error

darrencp22

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Lockport, NY (Buffalo Suburb)
Hi everyone. I have been getting this message a lot lately. All my channels come in fine. I do see one satellite very weak but from what I’ve read it’s barely used for anything anymore. I guess it carries some SD channels. Anyways. I just don’t want this intrusive message showing constantly. Is there a way to get rid of it? Or maybe otherwise disable satelittles or transponders that are weak?

Check your signal levels on all the sats. It may be that your dish is a bit out of alignment.

I understand that. My point is that it’s not impacting what I’m watching on tv. All I want to do is get rid of the message without the hassle and expense of calling directv. I really dislike the service since ATT purchased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand that. My point is that it’s not impacting what I’m watching on tv. All I want to do is get rid of the message without the hassle and expense of calling directv. I really dislike the service since ATT purchased.

How has the service changed since att took over that wasn't already there ?
Fwiw, that comment and my response has NOTHING to do with your issue ...

Just tired of people saying that since so and so took over its worse ... it really hasn't changed any ... people use to say they same things when it was strictly D*, then once att took over its suddenly all things that happened after they took over.

Some things have changed for the better as well as worse, much like Most companies.

I don’t care to talk about that now. I just want the message gone. I don’t understand why it cannot be dismissed.

As mentioned above, that error is usually from obstructed view, misaligned dish or a going bad LNB ... its not going to just go away.

I don’t care to talk about that now. I just want the message gone. I don’t understand why it cannot be dismissed.

It's telling you something is wrong. If you don't fix what's wrong, the message isn't going away. That's why I was asking about the signal strengths.

In my opinion if I’m getting all the channels nothing is wrong and directv shouldn’t force a message on me I can’t dismiss. Almost every other message in anything tech related you can dismiss. I don’t want a hassle here for a service that I’m contemplating getting rid of. My solution is to record the show live and immediately watch it from the list. That seems to hide the message.

And as someone who used to commonly frequent these forums I’m disappointed on the responses. I asked if I can disable satellite feeds or transponders and nobody seems interested in explaining to me if that’s possible. I have one satellite coming in at 49%. My guess that is the problem. I did some reading into it and that’s pretty much a dead satellite. I want to tel my set-up to stop using it.

And as someone who used to commonly frequent these forums I’m disappointed on the responses. I asked if I can disable satellite feeds or transponders and nobody seems interested in explaining to me if that’s possible. I have one satellite coming in at 49%. My guess that is the problem. I did some reading into it and that’s pretty much a dead satellite. I want to tel my set-up to stop using it.

I did explain it to you. If your dish is out of alignment it will trigger the message. It's that simple.

The error message won't go away until the error is corrected. Simple. There is no setting that you can choose that will turn off the error message or reconfigure your system to work in a different way. You will either have to fix the actual problem or live with the message.

Reactions: harshness

Sure you can disable them if you can survive the harshness of space.

How has the service changed since att took over that wasn't already there ?
Fwiw, that comment and my response has NOTHING to do with your issue ...

Just tired of people saying that since so and so took over its worse ... it really hasn't changed any ... people use to say they same things when it was strictly D*, then once att took over its suddenly all things that happened after they took over.

Some things have changed for the better as well as worse, much like Most companies.

It's terrible anymore mostly with support. ATT merged my mother's account. I spend 8 hours of my vacation..8 HOURS on the phone with ATT support trying to enable her online streaming. They eventually gave her one user/PW for Directv and one for ATT. After that her billing was screwed up and took another 2 hours to fix. Finally i switched her to Brighthouse.

The ATT website is slow. I can't watch via a browser anymore. I've made at least 8 different calls about this and no it isn't my computer, I have tried this on 4 different machines. The reps don't listen to the issue and they have no clue what is going on. I know we all complained about D* reps but this is far worse. I can no longer stream my local channels from my HR44 from the Directv app. Oh and that wonderful Directv APP hangs almost as much as my Sirius XM app. I could go on but what's the point. I will take a very serious look at switching to Comcast if ATT loses Sunday Ticket.

no, you have to fix this. The message is telling you you have a problem. You can't just disable satellites or transponders. The dish is designed so that when it is pointed correctly all the satellites and transponders come in correctly.
First thing is to find out why you have a 771. Look at the tables of transponder strength.
All the 101 transponders, with a couple of spotbeam exceptions, should be close to 100.
99ca and cb, and 103ca and cb, should all be at least in the high 80s, except for transponders showing n/a.
Ignore 99s and 103s because they carry only spotbeams pointed at different cities

you can't disable satellites or transponders. Your "reading" is misleading. If it was a DEAD satellite yolu would not be getting a 771. Why is it so difficult for you to accept this? Wyhy does people telling you the truth disappoint you? HaVE YOU LOOKED AT THE TRANSPONDER LEVELS AS i SUGGESTED?

Reactions: Jimbo
In my opinion if I’m getting all the channels nothing is wrong and directv shouldn’t force a message on me I can’t dismiss. Almost every other message in anything tech related you can dismiss. I don’t want a hassle here for a service that I’m contemplating getting rid of. My solution is to record the show live and immediately watch it from the list. That seems to hide the message.

Instead of just fixing the problem ...

A tech would come out and have you fixed in 30 minutes, Or , you can ignore it and it will get worse, you'll eventually lose channels and then wonder why ...

Or you could take advice here to try and fix it.

If I were Sherlock Holmes I’d deduce that “somebody” is running a receiver in a location that the “Death Star” isn’t aware of...
If this is the case you’ll have to find an ‘independent’ satellite tech to realign your dish or replace your LNB...
You may be able to find an independent on an fta install site
Happy Hunting

i was getting the 771 code all the time i had a genie and 2 4k minis. and to make things worse the mini's kept loosing connection to the network LOL. so finally the system just sh*t the bed and gave me the 775 error code after everything was replaced the LNB splitters and all the boxes. the HR54/700 is crap. though i wonder if it was a software update they sent to the boxes that made it do what it did??? there has been rumors flying around with directv that certain updates forces the genies to dump recordings.. and since customer service is sooo awsome and on top of things you know :shh:coco. they will never get another penny from me!!! directv is garbage... and it saddens me compared to what it was as it was a stellar service back in the day now it's crap!!!

i was getting the 771 code all the time i had a genie and 2 4k minis. and to make things worse the mini's kept loosing connection to the network LOL. so finally the system just sh*t the bed and gave me the 775 error code after everything was replaced the LNB splitters and all the boxes. the HR54/700 is crap. though i wonder if it was a software update they sent to the boxes that made it do what it did??? there has been rumors flying around with directv that certain updates forces the genies to dump recordings.. and since customer service is sooo awsome and on top of things you know :shh:coco. they will never get another penny from me!!! directv is garbage... and it saddens me compared to what it was as it was a stellar service back in the day now it's crap!!!
Sorry to hear you have had so many issues. I have an HR54 and a C61k. I've had no issues at all except and occasional freeze that goes away quickly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)