771 errors on 99/103, Bad LNB or alignment issue?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cpalmer2k

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 18, 2013
United States
For the past few days I've noticed a ton of 771 errors when watching History & A&E among others. Yesterday we had some storms so I thought it might be that, but today it is clear and the problem is as bad or worse.

Looking at 99(ca) my numbers fluctuate quite a bit. Right before I took the photo attached below transponder 17 had zero signal, now it is at 19. Is this alignment, or a bad LNB, or possibly a combination of both?

IMG_1107.JPG
IMG_1108.JPG
IMG_1109.JPG

It could be a bad lnb, or just an alignment issue. Have you checked your connections and the dish to be sure it isn't moving?

Yes, connections are good and the Dish seems secure. We did have some massive wind last week though. It even managed to blow a very heavy welcome mat off my front porch. The only reason I wondered about the LNB is the fact that the odd transponders on 99(ca) seem much lower than the even ones.

His 101° signals are fantastic, but the 99° signal levels are all over the place and 103° are low but don't vary as widely compared to 99°. My gut feeling is the LNB is shot due to the large variations in the 99° signal levels. If the OP has the protection plan then have Directv get their butt out and fix it. Doing alignment or dithering to bring up the signal on the ka birds can be tricky especially w/o a good signal meter that displays the ka signals along with the ku ones. If it's a newer dish, I would just buy a new swm lnb and snap it in place on the lnb arm. Pretty slick design so swapping them out is a piece of cake, no more nuts and bolts. I have a spare swm lnb on-hand just in case one fails, easy 10 minute fix. Until I got the hang of it, peaking or dithering the dish for the ka stuff was a pita.

I just checked it a few minutes ago and transponder 17 on 99 was a flat zero, but 18 was 75. Then 17 shot back up. I do have a spare LNB so I think I will try that tomorrow. I purchased a 5D2RB lnb awhile back but have never swapped it out. I always use a local dealer and have been planning my 4k upgrade for awhile now anyway so if that doesn't work I'll get him out to do that and realign it.

With the signal strengths changing so quickly, it's most likely the lnb.

I would say almost certainly alignment. Note how the odd TPs are so much lower than the even ones, that's typical of a dish way out of alignment. And once signals get down into the 30, they will often fluctuate down to zero because you are right at the edge of the beam.

Reactions: harshness
FYI...I had a issue like this. Had 2 tech's out, 1 said trees may be blocking the signal, another couldn't find a problem. Tech #3 came out found 25ft cable that was intermittent from LNB to switch input. Also said he could move the dish so no more tree interference for many years...Something to try???

I would say almost certainly alignment. Note how the odd TPs are so much lower than the even ones, that's typical of a dish way out of alignment. And once signals get down into the 30, they will often fluctuate down to zero because you are right at the edge of the beam.

It did turn out to be an alignment issue. I had our local dealer out today to upgrade to an HR54 & 61K and he realigned it. It wasn't out of line by much, but enough to make a huge difference.

Reactions: raoul5788
It did turn out to be an alignment issue. I had our local dealer out today to upgrade to an HR54 & 61K and he realigned it. It wasn't out of line by much, but enough to make a huge difference.
Remember, being out of alignment a little down here is a whole lot 22,000 miles away. Lol

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts