8 1/2 foot Paraclipse - it's mine...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

guapoharry

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
32ºN 111ºW
Bought an Echostar SRD5000 for $1 plus $30 shipping. But it came with a FREE BUD for hauling it away. Anyway I didn't care too much about the receiver. Haven't tried to power it up. Is it analog?

The dish is a Paraclypse that measures a little under 9' across the corners. So I imagine it is an 8.5 foot model. Is this correct?

The mesh has hail dents and around the edges is bent up some, but it looks tweakable. Clips holding the mesh on are tight and not rusty. (One benefit of living in the desert) It has a polar mount.

It has a buttonhook LNB support. I looked at the Paraclipse website archive on http://www.archive.org but didn't see too much about this dish. Is this dish really old or an oddball?

Guess, what I'm wondering is how doable would it be to convert this to three leg LNB mounting? Would someone know what the focus mesurement is?

Thanks for the plug my friend. :)

The 8 footers, as I understand it, came later in the timeline for Paraclipse. I don't have ANY information on it, all the books and literature I have are for the 12' and the 14.5' dishes.

That said, there should be no reason in the world that it could not be changed to a quad leg support. You would have to find the focal length first though so you would have some idea how long to make the legs....

If you have the time, and the material, sounds like a good project. :up

Pics

OK. How about five? Here are pics, including buttonhook LNB holder, crusty old LNA with block converter, actuator of unknown condition and nameplate.

I reread the Care and Feeding thread... All eleven pages.

Attachments

• para-1.jpg
    para-1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 257
  • para-2.jpg
    para-2.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 221
  • para-3.jpg
    para-3.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 226
  • para-4.jpg
    para-4.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 240
  • para-5.jpg
    para-5.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 231
observations:

The dish looks like it's in pretty good condition.
Pictures of the frame on the back side, don't show corrosion in the pix. Is it aluminum or well painted?
I can't see rust or corrosion on the mount in the low resolution pictures.
The feedhorn looks to be equipped with a standard C-band LNB(?) and servo.
The buttonhook seems fine.
I'd consider putting it on C-band only, leave the buttonhook, and be done with it.
Don't go nuts with new feed supports nor Ku.

Ya would need a motor with the proper digital feedback, not some potentiometer.
I'd get a wire wheel and some rust-lovin' paint on the one spot in the middle of the dish.
But that seems about it.

Pat yourself on the back for a good find!

OK. How about five? Here are pics, including buttonhook LNB holder, crusty old LNA with block converter, actuator of unknown condition and nameplate.

I reread the Care and Feeding thread... All eleven pages.

One question you had in your first note asked about focal length. You can reinsert the button hook feed in to the dish base, (making sure it is fully seated) and then measure the distance to the feed horn.

It should be fairly accurate.

Conversion to a multiple leg feed support should be fairly easy. I believe a four leg support would fit the bill best. When paraclypse made their quad leg support they designed it so that the ribs on the dish would be drilled to enable attachment of the legs.

That method provided a real solid base for the feed mount.

echo srd5000

Its an analog rec alright, oldie, I think they were the same as the Houston trackers.
Very sensitive power supply that would blow with the least little thunderstorm. Or so I heard, I had the SRD3000 ( that one had a sep box for the dish motor) worked really well except for blowing the PS every 6 months or so lol. But they were easy to replace, and nowadays the entire rec is easier to replace.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)