811 OTA HD decoding for non-customer?

kelmac

Original poster
Feb 15, 2005
Will the 811's OTA HD decoding still workif I am no longer a Dish Network customer?

In other words, can I use it like a regular HD set-top box for my OTA channels?

As long as it can still see the satellite it will work. Be aware that Dish may remove this ability at any time.

NightRyder

What about if the dish itself were gone? Does the OTA decoding function of the 811 require the satellite? It seems at first glance like it could operate on a stand-alone basis.

Perhaps I don't understand the hardware (correction: there is no doubt that I in fact don't understand the hardware). Is the OTA "half" of the receiver separate from the Dish "half"?

kelmac said:
What about if the dish itself were gone? Does the OTA decoding function of the 811 require the satellite? It seems at first glance like it could operate on a stand-alone basis.

Perhaps I don't understand the hardware (correction: there is no doubt that I in fact don't understand the hardware). Is the OTA "half" of the receiver separate from the Dish "half"?

The OTA part of the 811 will not function without a signal from the satellite. It probably could, but Dish designed this restriction into it.

NightRyder

Excellent!

Not the answer I was hoping for, but preciseley the information I needed.

Thanks so much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts