811 Outputs DVI vs YPbPr Component

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Ron2nd2nd

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Which is better? Is there a noticable difference? I currently do not have a DVI cable and was wondering if it is worth the extra money. Thanks

Ron :)

It depends on the equipment (TV) you are using. If you use a DLP or simular tv (Digital) it will improve the picture , but if you have a CRT based tv you will not really notice any change because there has to be a analog to digital conversion in the chain somewhere. DVI is not really intended on improving Picture Quality it is designed mostly for copywrite protection.

I have both connected to my TV, Sony 42we610, LCD rear projection, from my 811. I can flip back and forth rapidly. I can see no difference.

By the way, contrary to the 811 manual, the DVI and component outputs are simultaneously active!

Which is better? Is there a noticable difference?
For my setup, 811 > DLP projector, I have both hooked up also. With the DVI cable I see a picture that looks like the 'sharpness' is turned up. Grainy is not the word I want to use. Looks smoother with the component.

I still haven't figured out which I like better. For the SuperBowl I ended up watching with the component. But for Discovery HD Theater programming, scenery etc, I have been using the DVI.

Before the projector I had a Toshiba 65" RPTV and I didn't notice any difference between the DVI and component.

Lee

It will differ depending upon the quality and type of your TV, as well as your personal view of what a better picture is....

Buy a cable and try it out. If you don't like it, take it back.

DVI is preferred on DLP, LCD and Plasma

Ron2nd2nd said:
Which is better? Is there a noticable difference? I currently do not have a DVI cable and was wondering if it is worth the extra money. Thanks

Ron :)
On my Samsung HLN507W DLP, DVI delivers defintely better sharpness on native HD content.

You can find lots of 6' DVI cables on e-bay for less than $10.00 shipped. You do not need to spend big $$$ on DVI cables, especially if you don't need one over 6' long.

If your set is a native digital one (DLP, Plasma or LCD), for under $10, why not order one and experiment?

Cheers,

Thanks for the info-Rear Projection TV

Thanks for all the responces. My TV is a Rear Projection Mitsubishi 55". I will go and get a cheap cable and try it out even though it sounds like it will not do much since it is a Rear Projection. Thanks again..

Ron

I get a better SD picture with DVI. Don't notice any differenct on HD. I have aan Hitachi 57S700 RPTV. Component on SD is dark like the S-Video problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)