811 P285/P287 Software Update

Update on my problems with functioning BSOD.

I've narrowed it down some more, and I think it's just a simple BSOD, but it's this way everytime I turn the 811 on while not using it for maybe more than 12 hours.

The guides and browse banners work, but every channel I tune to is black, doesn't matter if it's OTA or not.

I have had 287 for about a week. I see lots of improvements and have had no problems including freeze ups. My 811 works fine for the first time since I have had it. I guess I should block further upgrades.

I am stuck on P284 too. What's up? Is this just another partial upgrade or is P287 the real deal and when are the rest of us supposed to get this? Hello Scott -- you out there?

So far, I've had just the one occurance of a BSoD since updating to P287. I also had to reboot after trying a Playin' TV game and I lost all audio after the game froze.

287 was release on 4/7 (10 days into the release). It can take up to a full month to roll out a software update depending on what software changes are contained in the update. In this case, 284 to 287 was what would be considered a major update. As to the comments about being in the first batch, well with each update there is a larger 811 customer base so it could take longer and I from what I have been told being in the first batch on one release does not mean you will be in the next one. Also as the customer base grows on the 811, it could me more phases of a roll out.

It is not a matter that some of you don't matter, it is matter of wanting to control the roll out. Just keep turning that receiver off at night and eventually you will get 287. Personally no need to start thinking you don't count until at least 5/17.

WeeJavaDude said:
287 was release on 4/7 (10 days into the release). It can take up to a full month to roll out a software update depending on what software changes are contained in the update. In this case, 284 to 287 was what would be considered a major update. As to the comments about being in the first batch, well with each update there is a larger 811 customer base so it could take longer and I from what I have been told being in the first batch on one release does not mean you will be in the next one. Also as the customer base grows on the 811, it could me more phases of a roll out.

It is not a matter that some of you don't matter, it is matter of wanting to control the roll out. Just keep turning that receiver off at night and eventually you will get 287. Personally no need to start thinking you don't count until at least 5/17.

If i may cut in.. This may be true i still do not understand why 2003 811 boxes have not got the update FIRST. I don't care how big the 811 customer base gets.. Also if the 811 customer base if getting this big we need some new HD channels quick fast and in a hurry!!!!

What does 2003 boxes have to do with getting your update first? Who said it was a first come first serve model? Why should 2003 boxes get the update first? These questions I don't understand. From what I have heard, the update schedule at times is random and others theres is reasons for how they spooled out.

Personally i don't care how big the 811 customer base is either, but I am sure the customer base size effects how many phases will be rolled out and therefore it might effect the length of time an individual receives an update.

I never said anything about reaching about of critical mass to demand more HD. Just reaching numbers that might change the number of phases. These two are by no means related.

WeeJavaDude said:
What does 2003 boxes have to do with getting your update first? Who said it was a first come first serve model? Why should 2003 boxes get the update first? These questions I don't understand. From what I have heard, the update schedule at times is random and others theres is reasons for how they spooled out.

Personally i don't care how big the 811 customer base is either, but I am sure the customer base size effects how many phases will be rolled out and therefore it might effect the length of time an individual receives an update.

I never said anything about reaching about of critical mass to demand more HD. Just reaching numbers that might change the number of phases. These two are by no means related.

I am really not trying to be a smart butt, i have just noticed with the last two software updates the first boxes did not get alot of them. Also i have always wondered about the different boot strap versions. I guess i should be more clear why i did start this post. Its just seems there are two versions of the 811. I am pretty happy with my 811. I mean i can see HD but i do have bugs that sometime pop up.

I somewhat agree with BlackHitachi's point of view. It would seem to me that Dish would make an effort to "fix" the 811's for the people that have suffered the longest first, and then dole out the fix to the rest in a timely manner.
I don't really have any complaints about the current "old" software revision as my 811 is running pretty good, BUT, it still has its hiccups which can be annoying depending on when they occur.

I am up and running with no problems. No Loss of guide or need to acquire sat signal after leaving on OTA all night long. No freezes. A little slow to change channels but not awful. I almost think that some of the multipath/ 9% issue has been fixed also
I do find it better than 284....

Perhaps I should have read through this and some of the other 811 threads first, but I ordered an 811 through the Dish'n it Up promo for $50. I figured at that price I couldn't lose, right? So I set it up over the weekend and WHEW - this thing has more bugs than my first apartment! I have SW ver P287 and have experienced many of the same problems that Foxbat has mentioned (I haven't tried the interactive channels). As I was channel surfing and looking around at what was available I got either a BSOD or GSOD on average about every two hours. It seems to happen most often when switching from HD OTA programming to an HD satellite channel. There is also one sub-channel of a digital OTA station in my area that will cause my 811 to hang every time. I tried to delete it from the channel scan but for some reason it stays in there - KLCS 58-06 in Los Angeles. I think this problem is mainly a PSIP issue, but it is still annoying. The only way I have found to recover is to unplug the box then plug it back in. My favorites menu has also become corrupted. List 1 is OK, but Lists 2 through 4 can no longer be edited. List 2 shows a meaningless string of characters in the name field, but when I go to edit the name the field is blank. I try to add a name and it appears to save but doesn't. I also cannot save any channels I add to it. Lists 3 and 4 still work but cannot be changed. Does it sound like I may have a bad box or is this a common problem?

Yup, I had these problems when I got the update, but after some factory defaults resets, holding the power button on the receiver and unplugging it, they started to slowly fade away, pretty annoying and weird, but somehow they dissapeared...

I'm noticing that P287 is a little bit more touchy and tends to lose lock on OTA easier than 284 did before. I've lost OTA signal on my Fox affiliate with 287 and a signal strength in the 90s. I never did with previous releases.

Overall though, I'm pleased with the performance.

Cheers,

Probably, because I've had BSOD everyday with my 811 on P287. You guys should be happy you're still on 284, I should have listened to myself and blocked it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)