811 P285/P287 Software Update

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I just installed my 811 that I purchased from a forum member and it is at 2.82. I left if off overnight and it is set to download without permission but it did not download last night. Do they have to send a hit for my stb to get in the queue?

DarrellP said:
I just installed my 811 that I purchased from a forum member and it is at 2.82. I left if off overnight and it is set to download without permission but it did not download last night. Do they have to send a hit for my stb to get in the queue?
It's really unfortunate that your box is on P2.82. That was the worst 811 rev, IMHO.

The general consensus here and at dbstalk.com is that P2.87 is no longer being spooled, because it's been associated with an increased frequency of lockups. I doubt that your box will pick up another revision until the next one is in general release. The last general release was P2.84, in December of 2004.

If you have too many issues with yours, maybe you can convince Dish to exchange boxes with you.

So far, my box has been stable and I've experienced zero glitches. I love the PIP menu, it is so fast compared to the Voom PIP and the 6000's ancient old slug of an EPG. I also really like that my local digital channels have info. So far, I am quite pleased with the 811.

Update, 5/25: Last night my 811 hung twice on 2 different OTA channels like the 6000 does when the PSIP is screwed up, but that was not the case. I went to change to the channel and got a black screen with the top info bar showing the channel, sig strength, etc and it just locked up. I had to do a power button reset to bring it back both times. I tried waiting for 5 minutes the first time, thinking it was bad PSIP data, but it never recovered.

811 wiped out one of my PG lists after locked up!

My 811 is at 287 software, it has been experiencing locked up once in a while, which I can live with. But the worst thing is, twice after the reboot, it wiped out one of my PG lists, and rendered that list completely useless, I can't change its name, can't add channels, as a matter of fact, it left a junk text like "a us en..." as its name! Rebooting it couple time did not help, the only way I eventually discovered to reset it is to do the "Factory Default"! which as you might have known will also wipe out ALL my PG lists, but at least I can re-enter! So, now I always keep a hard copy of my PG lists. :-(

Both times, it happened on the list that contains both Local Digital and HD channels, maybe that's a clue?

Can't say I've had this problem with my 811s, both have v287. I keep local digital and HD channels in the same Favorites list without problem. Or maybe not...since I have had weird pixilation when going into menus, but it has not locked up since the first week after the 287 download.

However, I have had multiple issues with the receiver when it loses the local digital signal - I think the PSIP gets dropped because the channel number goes back to the digital channel instead of the channel number.

Does the reciever have to be hooked up to a phone line to recieve the download ? Or does it go through the sattelite...I'm still on 284 .

In California, by the way....just in case that has any relevence on the order of release .

johnnnybrauvo said:
Does the reciever have to be hooked up to a phone line to recieve the download ? Or does it go through the sattelite...I'm still on 284 .

In California, by the way....just in case that has any relevence on the order of release .
No, you don't need a phone line to get updates.

And, be happy you're not one of those stuck with P.287. It never made it into general release, because many of those who got it reported problems.

Right now, there are three versions of 811 firmware out there, and P2.84 is the most stable.

mdonnelly said:
And, be happy you're not one of those stuck with P.287. It never made it into general release, because many of those who got it reported problems.
Interesting it wasn't a general release. I got my new 811 hooked up about a week and a half ago...upon first boot it went through its download in progress routine and spooled me out 287. Buggy POS (BSOD every couple of days, optical audio drops 2-3 times everyday).

rvsixer said:
Interesting it wasn't a general release. I got my new 811 hooked up about a week and a half ago...upon first boot it went through its download in progress routine and spooled me out 287. Buggy POS (BSOD every couple of days, optical audio drops 2-3 times everyday).

Same here. The first time it was connected to a satellite (61.5 only at the time), it did its s/w download, and gave me 287.

Ho boy. I just love it!

There must be several hardware varieties out there of the 811. Mine was very buggy with 284 and now with 287 it works perfectly. I have had 287 since the day they released it.

johnnnybrauvo said:
Maybe its only the dishes pointed to 61.5 that are getting that download.

I'm pointed at 110 and I only have 284.

?

I have a 61.5 dish and 811 still at 284

I called Dish this morning to enquire as to why my EPG did not pick up our local PBS station when it is carried by them as a local option. I get all other channels in the EPG except for PBS. When I told her my stb was still on 2.82 she gave it a hit and said there is a new version of 2.87 rolling out now. It's been 4 hours now and it still hasn't upgraded.

DarrellP said:
I called Dish this morning to enquire as to why my EPG did not pick up our local PBS station when it is carried by them as a local option. I get all other channels in the EPG except for PBS. When I told her my stb was still on 2.82 she gave it a hit and said there is a new version of 2.87 rolling out now. It's been 4 hours now and it still hasn't upgraded.
Are you sure that you're allowing unattended system upgrades? Check the Installation menu.

mdonnelly said:
Are you sure that you're allowing unattended system upgrades? Check the Installation menu.
Yes, the reason I am on 2.82 is because I bought it from a Forum member who decommissioned it back in December and since they stopped the software rollouts, I guess I was not in the loop. I'll leave it off tonight and see what happens.

Well, here it is June 6th, I've left my receiver off every night and all day except for a few recordings and still no software update.

Darrell it might be that 2.82 will not update to 2.87. In this case you might have to get it swapped out. Did you ask them that question? Not sure what the criteria is for if they allow a skip in updates.

As far as I know, no special treatment for MODS at DBSTalk. I don't even thing the Beta people get the update to the new version. They are also on something other than released product from what I can tell...

Hopefully we will see 2.88 soon. As I am sure you can tell by now Black, Software releases are by no means a perdictable science. Last minute bug find can through a schedule off by a month.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)