87.0 AMC 3 signal levels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Larry1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Port Hope, ON Canada
I was visiting a friend who has C-Band (I only have Ku) trying to get MEtv and THIStv on 87.0 AMC 3. We could get other transponders on that sat, KMCCW was one channel I remember seeing, but could not lock the transponders for MEtv and THIStv. I was using the parameters posted in TheList! (see link at top of forum) Are the two transponders I was trying for weaker than some others on that sat, in particular the one with KMCCW? Have the parameters for these two changed?

I'm not getting MeTV, but I am getting THIS on 87W and 99W (Galaxy 16) c-band. The Galaxy 16 This channel is broadcast from the Caribbean. There are also several other network channels on that satellite from the Virgin Islands. You may also try OTA. I'm getting a THIS channel broadcast from one of my local TV stations. The signal is weak and it sometimes goes out, but it has a program guide that goes along with the VHF frequency -- something c-band doesn't have.

If you can, you really need to find some way to set up a c-band dish. The picture in HD is especially good -- as opposed to ku.

I didn't let you know what I was using. I've got a Pansat 9200 with the latest DVB-S2 card. It gets all the RTN channels (about 38) on 87W -- along with THIS. I have a perfect 10 ten footer which someone gave me. I used a BSC621 standard lnb for about two years. I decided to upgrade to the DMX741 standard lnb. But I'm not getting anymore channels with the 741 than I was with the 621. The 741 was a little easier to set up. And I'm moving the dish with a v-box 5. My dish is about 200 feet from my receiver and the signal is fine.

I'm watching lots more c-band than ku.:up:up:up

The next time I'm out to his place I will have to try adjusting the skew and bumping the dish. He is currently getting THIStv on G16 on the Caribbean channel, but that overlay of theirs is so big and anoying.
I can't have a C-band dish where I am, so for me it Ku only. He doesn't have Ku, so we have some programs to trade back and forth.

Well he moved the disk slightly and was able to get THIStv. (on 87.0) It appears it is weaker than the other transponders.

Status
Please reply by conversation.