87W RTV Stations

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wbarrett

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Jensen Beach, FL
Are the RTV stations on 87W 3800 H 29125 up? I can get the ones on my AzBox at 4080 H 29125 just fine with my 8 foot dish. I can see a signal on 3800 H 29125 with my First Strike meter but cannot for the life of me get anything with any combination of PIlot, FEC, SR or Frequency get the 3800 stations.

I recall others having trouble with the Luken stations on this sat and I've noticed they seem to appear and disappear.
When they do come in, they have a strong signal. Do they vary the power or footprint? It just doesn't look like a "hairy edge" aiming situation in my case.

When I got my AZ Box last March I fought the RTVs most of the summer. All I heard was "you need a bigger dish." I went to AMC6 and zeroed in on the CWs at 90+% signal and the AMC3 RTVs started coming at 70+. I could barely get the AMC7 RTVs, now they are in the mid to high 60s and come in great. Get zeroed in on one and get the strongest signal you can and tighten it down.

As for that FEC and pilot stuff, I have played with it on various signals and I see no difference in the signal. I have had trouble getting signals in and have entered the FEC and pilot and I have never had one pop on just because I entered them. Weither I manually scan or blind scan I leave it on auto and off.

Last edited:
its possible the dish needs to be bumped a little bit. WHen SES2 took over this is that I noticed on the 6 footer
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/270237-ses2-amc3-4.html#post2694981

well today I learned something.....at least on my 6 footer

If I try to peak the dish on the 4080 mux alot of other signals are crap. I happened to have my old Pansat out there (working on something else) and I logged ThisTV, MeTV and ZNS-TV (the Bahamas government) all at a 65-75 quality on the Pansat which is good (30 is threshold)

Brought the Manhattan out and logged all the "normal" stuff (NASA, @Sports, This, Me, ZNS, Nasa Limo etc) and got the 4080 TP at a 65-70 bouncy. Worked fine
Fine tuned to get 4080 at a 74 and This & Me went pfffft...too low to view without heavy pixeling

something to think about....

Tony,
That was my problem over the summer, get one in, lose one. I just checked the signal strenght, haven't done it in a while and I can't
believe what I seen, get this, THIS TV 99 to 100%, ME TV 98%, RTV 3800 89% and RTV 4080 74%. That on an 8ft solid with cloudy skies and rain. When I was adjusting in June and July I was struggling to get 3800 at 64%. I needed that much for stable video, 4080 was out of the question. It might be coindence, but after I zeroed in on AMC6 and got the high signal there the rest of them fell into place. As I told you before, now my only problem is the weak ESPN S2.

Tweaked the dish but still no 3800's

Well I tweaked and tweaked the dish and my LNBF skew & f-d: still no 3800 H signals. I do have 72W AMC6 coming in at 100% quality on my AzBox now. I also have the 87W 4080 H 29125 RTV stations at 75% Q.

I do see the same thing as you guys with the 87W signals though. There is certainly a point of compromise on this satellite that I do not see on the others. I have a brand-new 8 foot solid dish so I am not is sure it is dish size that is the problem. I get other Horizontal transponders in the 3800 range in 60's and higher pretty much from 50w to 131W so it does not appear to be a LNBF failure at a given frequency.

I do not have a spectrum analyzer to see what is going on but I do have a First Strike signal meter. I can see I am getting something on 3800 H 29125 but it is lower Q than those at 4080 H 29125 (like half). The AzBox just will not recognize what is there on 3800 H.

I don't really care about the RTV channels on 3800 given that they are all duplicates of each other... it just bugs me that I cannot pull this transponder in. I guess I'll just give up on these channels and blame my south Florida location / terresterial interference / or this transponder just not liking my set up.

I have no problem at all with both RTV TPs with my 8 ft Unimesh and dual orthomode LNBF. My problem though is with the outdated information listed in lyngsat about these muxes. I do frequently rely on lyngsat to updated TPs, and according to lyngsat these muxes still include Network affiliates such as abc, nbc, cbs, etc. That is not correct anymore.

I don't really care about the RTV channels on 3800 given that they are all duplicates of each other... it just bugs me that I cannot pull this transponder in. I guess I'll just give up on these channels

I know how frustrating it is, but don't give up, eventually you will hit the sweet spot. I was going to throw in the towel. It took me most of the summer to do it, but when I hit it all of the S2s came in. As I said, the only one I have trouble with is ESPN. I know all of the RTVs are repeats, but I like them because of the different time zones. Can't watch something on the Eastern channels, watch it when you can on on the central, mountain and western channels.

My problem though is with the outdated information listed in lyngsat about these muxes.

I used to rely on LyngSat a lot. Since they are located in Europe they rely on us for updates. One of the main contributers from the US died last year and that hasn't helped. I have been using Sat Hints recently and have been quite happy, check them out at:

Satellites - North & South America

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)