8ft and 10ft pole size?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

IntelPennny4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
USA
what size does the pole have to be for a 8ft and 10ft that goes into the ground? thanks

so a 3.5" will work for a 8ft and 10ft?

Yes. That's the inside diameter. The outside is actually 4". If you specify a '3.5" Schedule 40 pipe', that's what they will give you. Standard 10 foot long, and 4 feet in the ground, equals 6 ft above ground. Just right. 800lbs of cement, so 10 - 80lb bags.

Cements cheap, don't skimp on it.

Dig the hole at least 18" wide at top "bell shaped" (wider at the bottom). Dig a little deeper then 48". Pour a bag of gravel in the bottom when done digging. Place a flat "paver" stone on the top middle of the pile of gravel. Your pole will sit on that centered. Use some 2x4 stud boards staked out to hold the pole TOP level North/South and East/West. Then mix and pour in your concrete and shovel it around all sides evenly, leave the top domed, so water runs off of it instead of sitting on it. When you are done with the concrete, double check the pole TOP is still DEAD level all around!!! Take your time, that's absolutely CRITICAL to your success. If it's not level, strong arm it until it is, and use more braces. Let it dry about 5 days before putting your mount on it.

Not all dishes have the same size mount. Most of the real old mounts whet on a 4" OD pole but many of them later were 3-1/2" OD. I think a BirdView is like 6-5/8". My AJAK mounts were made for three different sizes which was stamped on the mount. I have one 4" and one 3-1/2" AJAK up.

what size does the pole have to be for a 8ft and 10ft that goes into the ground? thanks

Depends on what the mount will fit onto. It's usually 3.5" or 4.5". I had a 12 footer that fit onto 3.5" pole while another 12 footer fit on a 4.5" pole.

Reactions: hank123
Depends on what the mount will fit onto. It's usually 3.5" or 4.5". I had a 12 footer that fit onto 3.5" pole while another 12 footer fit on a 4.5" pole.

I have a 71/2, 8, 12 and a 10 foot dish that all take a 3 1/2 OD pole. It all depends on what size the manufacturer made the mount to fit. I also have a Prodelin 12 foot fiberglass that's in a 6 inch pole. If you're not sure, maybe you can measure the pole it came off of to be sure. I'd bet it's a 3 1/2 OD, but don't take that as gospel.

Get the dish first then match the pipe to the mount diameter. A 4 inch OD will go over a 3.5 inch OD pipe but a 3.5 mount will never go over a 4 inch pipe. There never was a standard for pipe diameter I've seen 2 7/8ths to 7inch Outside Diameters used 3.5 inch outside diameter was probably the most common.

What brand is the 10FT dish that takes a 3 1/2 OD pole if I may ask? Thanks!

There are several, Unimesh, Perfect 10. Winegard, SAMI and even some of the 10 foot fiberglass dishes to name a few. However, you need to measure the pole to determine the actual size. Measure the circumference (distance around the pole) and divide it by 3.14159. There are other ways, but this one will get you close enough with the dish still on the pole.

Reactions: SERAPIO
There are several, Unimesh, Perfect 10. Winegard, SAMI and even some of the 10 foot fiberglass dishes to name a few. However, you need to measure the pole to determine the actual size. Measure the circumference (distance around the pole) and divide it by 3.14159. There are other ways, but this one will get you close enough with the dish still on the pole.

Thanks for the 411.

Reactions: wvman
As Claude made clear, you can't reliably predict what size the pole needs to be based on dish size.

Just as important, if you're in a wind-driven area, you should probably consult with someone about the wall thickness as these big dishes are pretty good sails. There are also some online calculators that will help you determine wind-loading for your location. The shorthand is V²A*.00256 where V is the high wind speed in miles per hour and A is the sail area of the dish in square feet. Know also that over about 50mph, a mesh dish looks like a solid dish from the wind's perspective. An 8' dish in a 55mph wind can exert almost 390lbs of force. At 80mph, the force more than doubles.

Pipe OD is constant from one schedule to another and it is always larger than the pipe size. If you want a specific OD, you may need to specify round tubing (measured by OD and wall thickness) or look at a pipe chart such as this:

Standard Pipe Schedules and Sizes Chart Table Data - Engineers Edge

As you can see, only the 3" - 4-1/2" pipe sizes give nice round ODs.

Must make FL installs more "interesting" than in most of the country. Well, except maybe for OK.

Why do I suspect that the only thing that might keep me from taking up this hobby after retirement is SWMBO?

Must make FL installs more "interesting" than in most of the country. Well, except maybe for OK.

Why do I suspect that the only thing that might keep me from taking up this hobby after retirement is SWMBO?

I have NEVER allowed my wife to dictate to me or stop me from installing a satellite dish, tv antenna, or any of the like IF I so choose to do so. She can offer some advice in ways to maybe make it "prettier" or maybe hide it a little better, or put it in a different place (if that move doesn't affect ability to receive the arc, etc), but that's IT.

She benefits as much as I do, and it's a hobby that is better than 100's of other hobbies a man could take up, so why not?

I think a well installed dish or OTA antenna is art in itself, and useful art at that!

Last edited:
I have NEVER allowed my wife to dictate to me or stop me from installing a satellite dish, tv antenna, or any of the like IF I so choose to do so. She can offer some advice in ways to maybe make it "prettier" or maybe hide it a little better, or put it in a different place (if that move doesn't affect ability to receive the arc, etc), but that's IT.

She benefits as much as I do, and it's a hobby that is better than 100's of other hobbies a man could take up, so why not?

I think a well installed dish or OTA antenna is art in itself, and useful art at that!
Radio HAMs have this down to an art... now im adding dishes... "Well honey i could be out drinking and chasing young girls!..." lol...

Chris

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts