Status
Please reply by conversation.

mr3p

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 1, 2010
West
Consider upgrading from my 6ft to an 8ft and just thought I'd get some suggestions on options. Does look like Sadoun is selling them anymore so that just leaves WSI or am I missing another source? I don't really want to start knocking on doors... at least yet. Thoughts?

Are you looking for one with a polar mount or a stationary dish? 6/ft with polar mount is easy to find at a low price but larger than that you will have to look at the more expensive dishes, or you can wait a bit and see what Manhattan ends up with in the next few months or so.

I currently have a motorized 6ft, looking at 8ft to get more signal. :D Could I get some opinions pros/cons of an 8ft mesh vs. 8ft steel panel?

Mr3p. Just went through exactly what you are going through. Even sites that claimed to have 8ft in stock did not after responding to my email inquiry. Apparently they stopped making them in the US and now need to pay shippping from china which is why sadoun will only allow bulk orders (i think) There are options if you want to shell out around 600 bucks but i did not want to. I ended up knockin on doors and got an 8ft 9inch solid aluminum dish on my 2nd try for free in excellent condition.

You'll see improved performance over the six. Think, enough to get a solid lock on any that are marginal on the 6, but those that you absolutely don't get now may still be a problem.
But as far as between a mesh or solid panel, I think the performance variable is in the quality of the build, Parabolic accuracy, mechanical rigidity, is everything. Options: In another thread, Mike Kohl stated that the tooling for the SAMI was acquired, and production should be resuming shortly. A 10 isn't that much larger than an 8. Then there's hunting for one in the wild.

it progressively gets better as the dish gets bigger. 8 feet will be 2 degree compliant on beamwidth where a 6 foot can see 3 degrees of azimuth on c band which causes higher noise figures degrading digital reception.

years ago there was a lot of snake oil dealers who sold people 5 and 6 foot dishes claiming they performed like a 10 or 12 foot dish. it physically cannot.

i have an 8.5' that would pick up about anything in the sky that was viewable. i would imagine dvb s2 signals are quite difficult on a 6'. an 8' will help those.

I installed an orthofeed and 2 Norsat LNB'S on my 6 foot WSI special and it does verygood, i can pick up the 105 w NBC stations, Nasa AND THE Spanish channels. I have the AZBOX p+ receiver.
Regards.
CHEWIE

Thanks for all the replies. I'd love to go up to 10ft but I'll be pushing the limit to fit an 8ft. Finding a steel panel 8ft isn't as easy as it used to be and yes I unfortunately learned that Sadoun is no longer selling them. It was my preference to go with steel but I have a lead on a 8ft mesh dish which I'll check out shortly.

Yeah i had to go to the (almost) 9ft dish i just acquired because my solid 6fter was just not reliable on many of the s2 signals. I was getting so much noise from adjacent satellites.

I have a 7 1/2 foot mesh dish and I get almost everything with my S10.
This dish was laying in pieces for 15 years in some body's backyard and did not cost me a dime.

You have to consider your location, the further north you are, the better it is to get a larger dish.
Precise adjustment of dish, scalar and LNB / LNBF is a must to get max performance of any size dish.
Also to consider is the Receiver. First when I started, I had this old receiver and when I scanned this one sat it only scanned 1 channel on c band, while with the new S10 I get way over 20 channels on c band on the same sat.
Since I got a C/ Ku LNBF on my dish I am double happy.

I also had limitations on space, that's why I went with the 7 1/2 footer. This was a good choice for me here in North Carolina.

Mr 3p,

Where in California are you?
Maybe one of our members are near you with a spare dish. I was just given a 9ft. steel dish from RT-Cat not to far from me in Michigan. Just get the word out. Maybe post "wanted" in our classifieds.

I'm in east central California and be glad to give you another 1.2M. Also, because of my part time job as a bank courier I am always on the lookout for C Band dishes within a 30 mile radius.

So where are you?

Los Angeles. Thanks for offer on 1.2 but I have one setup currently. My plan is to keep the 1.2 for Ku and replace my 6ft with an 8 for Cband

Consider upgrading from my 6ft to an 8ft and just thought I'd get some suggestions on options. Does look like Sadoun is selling them anymore so that just leaves WSI or am I missing another source? I don't really want to start knocking on doors... at least yet. Thoughts?

Where in LA are you located?
I have a 10ft Orbitron SX-10 converted to quad leg I won't be moving to Oregon.
I'll be keeping the LNBs on the Chaparral feedhorn.You can have the actuator, 11ft pole & about 20ft of flat cable.
Send a PM if interested....we can transport it in the back of my fullsize P/U.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    333.2 KB · Views: 440
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    279.3 KB · Views: 262
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    291.7 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
thats a sweet looking 10fter. looks like i've found an 8ft mesh, should know for sure tomorrow.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts