9 year old Sony system problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lenjack

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 10, 2005
Newbie to the forums...discovered it an hour ago, and just joined. I've had a Sony system since '96. Standard 18 inch antenna with dual LNB, with each line feeding a receiver in different rooms. This setup works fabulously, but a problem has developed in the last 1 1/2 years. When I press display on the remotes, the program description will come up with the letters garbled about half the time, and usually with a long string of the letter "z", kind of like zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. this happenned with both receivers. Is this a DirecTV problem or is it a problem with my equipment? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the welcome. I find it weird that it would affect both receivers at the same time.

lenjack said:
Newbie to the forums...discovered it an hour ago, and just joined. I've had a Sony system since '96. Standard 18 inch antenna with dual LNB, with each line feeding a receiver in different rooms. This setup works fabulously, but a problem has developed in the last 1 1/2 years. When I press display on the remotes, the program description will come up with the letters garbled about half the time, and usually with a long string of the letter "z", kind of like zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. this happenned with both receivers. Is this a DirecTV problem or is it a problem with my equipment? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Being 9 years old I'd say it was equipment related. Most likely they are not putting out software updates your model anymore, hence it starting this on both receivers at the same time 1½ yrs ago (probably around the last software update for your model). Call Directv and ask them what you need to do to get some new equipment, as long as you have been a customer and as long as you have been regular with paying your bill they should give you a whole new setup. If you are by chance planning on moving anytime soon that would be the best time to ask.
If they don't want to upgrade you for free, ask them if they will give you a second free receiver if you upgrade your primary to a Tivo or HD unit. Just be nice not demanding and negociate the best deal you can. They will work with you if you are a good longtime customer.

I've seen that "zzzzzzzz" on my Sony receivers, and I believe that it's an equipment problem. Haven't seen it on my Hughes HD receiver or Hughes DVR. My oldest Sony receiver is 9+ years old, and the newest Sony is about 6 years old. Just change channels up or down, then go back to the original channel. That seemed to work for me :)

yes, I know the channel up or down will fix it, but still very annoying.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)