90+ miles away and 99 signal on 2 stations

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

giveuspurehd

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 14, 2004
i have been trying for a month now to get nbc,cbs out of desmoines iowa.im at 52567.i found that the trees directly behind my house was the culprit of our bad signal.before i moved the antenna i was getting 99 signals at night, but in daytime it went from 40-85.i was going to go higher wherei was at, but decided to try a side pole mount just above the roofline.there is a small clearing toward the broadcast towere.there was a major bonus in that we also got fox outof desmoines as well.our local foxis not hd, so this was awseome news as well.i used all winegard eqiupment.th eantenna is the 8200p, and the amp is the ap-8780.right now i have over 200 ft rg6 cable hooked up.i thought i was gettin comfortable on the roof, but working on the edge feels down right scary. :eek:

"i was going to go higher wherei was at, but decided to try a side pole mount just above the roofline."

Is this position higher or lower than the previous position?
How high off the ground does this put the antenna now?

I would like to put an antenna up for the KC market, and would be about the same distance. Your results are giving me hope that we could get OTA signals.

Great news! Just to let you know, I receive stations from Baltimore MD (90+) miles from April-November, but they disappear during the winter months - it's like the signal freeze 20 miles up the road. Anyway, I hope you have better luck. Please keep us (at least me) informed of your winter reception.

I made a good living installing UHF translator antennas (Ch 70-83) in Oregon where typically there was a thick 60+ foot pine tree forest on the customers lot. Translator reception was especially difficult as they were only 100 watt transmitters at about 32 miles distance. What I always did was use my compass to decide where on the roof or which tree to use for the antenna mount. This particular area had a 47 degree compass bearing to the transmitter mountain so I would walk around looking for a slot through the trees at a bearing of 47 degrees. Even in a thick pine forst I almost always could find a spot that when I installed an antenna at the 30 to 40 foot level above ground I had great pictures as long as I used a low noise preamp. After I got my signal level meter I would walk around the roof with a 20 foot pole with the meter hooked up looking for the strongest signal. Often moving the antenna a matter of feet could make the difference from unwatchable signals to very good reception. It's definately worth the time spent in deciding where to install a UHF antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts