920 HELP! can't install-I'm freaking out here!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jtv

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2007
Hell (kansas)
OK, I got a 920 off eBay to use while I send in my 922 to ATS. after I FINALLY figured-out the wiring issues, now I find that I can't program it. No service people here in rural hell (ks) to call, so now I have NO TV!!
I got it hookedup, set the limits, only to find that I can't get all the satellites to even show on the chart, plus it won't tune to a channel higher than 24, so how do I program any sat's? what do I do? I'm soooo stressed:mad:!! I would gladly pay someone to fix it, or any kind of tutorial, whatever!!! I haven't found any instructions online, etc.
Anyone PLEASE help!!!:confused:
thanks!

920 install--need help!!

:eek:ok, I got a 920 off eBay to use while my 922 is off to ATS for repair. So, now, after FINALLY mastering the wiring nightmare, & getting the 920 powered-up, I find that I can't even program it!! & no service person to call, or I would SOO gladly pay someone else to do this!!
I did manage to set the limits, only to find that most of the satellites aren't even shown on the display chart, to program in. Not only that, the unit will not accept a channel number higher than 24. The dish itself is sitting somewhere close to G1, or C4, but I can't even find the C3 09, 10, or G1 8.9,11, channels. NOTHING!!
the manuals that I"ve found say to start at G9. right! why can't I get digital channel, or ANY channel?!:(
Please, if anyone can help, that would be beyond fantastic. I'm stuck in Ks with no tv, if I'm lucky, 2 channels over the air, if the wind isn't blowing!! I bought a dtv converter, & it doesn't work, either.!!:mad:
thanks for letting me vent!

You need to get it on G1 somehow. Put it on G1 channel 5 or 11 -these are good strong analog signals. If no picture, motor east or west until you see Arts on 5 or EWTN on 11. When you get either of these, stop and select channel 3 on G1. This channel should light up the DCII indicator. Let it sit there for about 20 or 30 minutes....that will let it download the latest channel maps, and populate the satellite list. You will then be able to program satellites, and tune channels higher than 24. If you get G1 and C4 properly programmed, the unit can estimate the other satellite locations. (And mine was pretty darn close on all of 'em!) If you cannot find EWTN or Arts, then you have some other problem...bad connection to LNB, stuck/miswired polarotor, etc. Hope this helps!:)

found G1, C4---AWESOME ADVICE!!

hey, following your guidance, I've found G1 & C4, :rolleyes:!!! and NOW, I have a DC light on G1 03!!! :D:D:D
THANKS SO MUCH!!! TOO COOL!!!:cool::cool::cool:

I got burned--beware of eBay....

:mad::mad:
The unit updated on G!, 03. All was good, programming C4, G1, THEN on C3, I got the 'descrambler not authorized' message. So I called NPS, & after 15 minutes, they insisted that the unit is toast. She insisted that the unit ID is 'invalid', that all validation/authorization attempts produced an 'invalid ID' message. She also claimed that the battery was dead, & after several other ideas, she insisted that the unit is fried. Whatever!!! So why do I get a dc light, sat light, & sometimes a vc light? I never got a picture on the digitals, but had signal strength of 70 & signal quality of 65. It also won't take rehits:(. She said that a different vc module wouldn't make any difference:confused:?
Oh well, at least when I get my 922 back, at least now I'll be able to program it like a pro!
BTW, ATS said they still have batteries, & insist that they can repair my 922:D. I'm sooo ready to have it back home!
don't think I'll be buying another 920 off eBay:eek:....
this is a great forum, thanks for all the help!!

Did she say the Videocipher unit ID was invalid, or the DIGITAL ID number? What channel(s) were you trying to get authorized on?

I would not take the word of any single CSR!

Most are very good and helpful, but sometimes you get a trainee or someone who is having a bad day. Just be patient and as eurosport said, make sure what number you are giving and make sure the CSR understands that you are trying to get a rehit on a DCII ID number.

You can validate whether the numbers are good or not by the CA number on the back of the unit. If it corresponds to the second line on the system status screen, the unit is good.

Hope that helps you! :)

Sorry to hear about a dead 920, but don't blame Ebay for what you brought, you have to know what to buy and to ask the right question on anything from them. The old saying "Buyer Beware " is double for Ebay. If you hadn't ask about the seller about the unit ID number and then checked it when you got the unit in you should have. There's been a lot of posting on the 920 battery issue and the lost of the ID.
You haven't posted but what is the ID number you have from both lines A & B, does it match the number on the back?

I took a chance on eBay ...that's where my 920 came from. It works perfectly but I still need to see if that battery needs changing. So far, so good for 50 bucks!:D:up

unit ID

NPS asked for the unit !D, also the VC id. Was trying to get authorized on C3, 700, & tried rehits on G! 03.
as for eBay, I've had good luck 99.9% of the time. when I asked the seller about this unit, he said that it worked fine, buit he didn't know what a 'vcII' was.... I'm not angry, I know the buyer'beware, plus he does returns, but I'll try other options.
I'll compare the numbers on the back with the onscreen#'s.
thanks!
i've not yet surrendered!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't worry about the Videocipher ID...there's like 5 VCII channels left and they're going to be DCII after Dec 31. So as long as the Digicipher ID is good, you'll be fine.

sys status screen..

ok, the Unit ID- 04-0080-8000-86
2nd line Receiver NO----004-00084-21376-134
when I gave the CSR those #'s, she said the unit is invalid.
she also asked for "h" on the screen, the Current Version, which is
0000006D----then she insisted that the unit was fried.

The numbers do NOT match. The screen shows 004-0080-8000-86.
the number on the back is 000-03177-20841-083.
So, what does that mean?!!!

Well the line B number doesn't look right, all my 920's start with 000-013x so one of the two numbers on the back of the receiver needs to match line B, if it doesn't then you have lose the ID and the digital side is history.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)