9200 (942) harddrive died, does Dish need to make changes?

Altaman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
Well yesterday my 9200 (942 for the U.S. version) had the hard drive die in it after about 3 months and I have read of others who have gotten the dreaded 0551 error. I record over 20 events per week and lost quite a few shows I had not watched, not to mention having to setup timers, etc once the new one gets here. Also I have been reading about others that are starting to have the same thing happen.

I don't think it is a faulty hard drive, but the design of the 9200 (942) in that the cover of the receiver needs more ventilation in it to dissipate heat. This is especially worrysome once the warranty expires on the unit. So do you think there is any chance of Diish redesigning the cover in the 942 to allow more airflow? Also would like to be able to swap out the drive after the warranty expires to replace drives that go bad.

The 9200 (942) is a great machine, but it does indeed worry me about the premature failure of the drives.

Alt

I don't see why E* would re-design the case at this point, and it would be the same clowns doing the re-design so how much of an improvement would you honestly expect...

Your only hope is to put your own cooling fans inside it.

I like several other that post here put spacers under the unit to get more air to circulate from under the it. Rubber feet or coasters that lift the unit about 1/4 to 1/2 inch seems to help with the heat problem.

Altaman,

I lowered the HD temp of my 9200 to an average of 39 by cuttin a huge square hole in the shelf that it sits on.

Now the 9200 vents down through that hole and makes the top of my DVD player toasty :rolleyes:

Kryspy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)