921 freezes when rec...

j5races

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
Hi, So if you have the 921 recording thru the OTA tuner, you cant watch something else?

Do you have to tell the 921 to switch to the other tuner (sat) so you can watch something else??

Here what happened. I set it to record americas funniest videos on chan 007-1 followed by extreme makeover and desperate housewives, and then i turned off the box and went to dinner. When i came home and turned the box back on there was no picture at all. I let it sit for a while and it had no picture or sound. I changed channels but nothing. I left it alone for a while and the only way to get it to play anything (it is still recording desperate housewives) was to go into the list and tell it to start one of the other recorded shows. It didnt start a show but instead tuned in to the channel the box was on and responds really slow to chan input (like takes 10 sec to change chans.

Is this unfortunately normal? is there a trick to watch a show while it records an HD OTA show?? I miss my rock solid 510 ,but want ot record hd...Is that too much to ask??

Also one other funny thing, when Dish turned on the reciever yesterday, chan 5 was there, but today if i type chan 5 or chan5 and select, it goes to 101 (until i added the OTA chans...) should i get the box reauthorized or is 921 not suppose to get locals like the 510 (ie 5 on five and not 348 and 8005...etc.)

Thanks Jon

Welcome to the wonderful world of 921 bugs.

There are workarounds for this situation, but I'm not overly familiar with them - IIRC, keep some SD recordings in the box and start playing one, then use PiP to get to the other tuner.

As for your channel 5 issue - check your favorites list and look for the various OTA channel options. Again, not my forte. I know the 921 satellite side better than some, but have zero OTA here.

that happened to me, and yes there is an exact solution for that particular bug. A quick IRD reset and accepting the loss of the scheduled recording at the time became the solution. I haven't had any troubles with the 921 since then. I finally received the cable company's dvr, i've used the 921 less and less, opportunity for 921 failure is kept to a minimum.

techdood said:
that happened to me, and yes there is an exact solution for that particular bug. A quick IRD reset and accepting the loss of the scheduled recording at the time became the solution. I haven't had any troubles with the 921 since then. I finally received the cable company's dvr, i've used the 921 less and less, opportunity for 921 failure is kept to a minimum.

What is a "quick IRD reset "

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)