This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

921 picture too big for screen

Interesting enough.... if I put the 811 on 720p, I measure 3% overscan (per HDNNET test pattern and the FOX logo being right at the corner).

If I put the 811 on 1080i (which is what my TV supports natively ... 720p is converted to 1080i), I get about 14% overscan.

Unfortunately, other than Fox, everything looks like crud with the 811 on 720p. Probably since the 811 is converting 1080i to 720p and then my TV is converting the 720p back to 1080i...

I can adjust the overscan on the TV to about 8% on 1080i. Unfortunately the settings are universal across all resolutions. So, if I pull 1080i in the where it should be when I do switch to 720p for FOX hd, I end up with underscan (if you get what I mean).

snathanb: I assume you're talking about a set other then the Dish Net 34" (which doesn't support 720p).

(Dish/RCA) Once you've checked to make sure the 921 is set to 16:9/Normal, if you're brave, you can go into the service menu and adjust the vertical amplitude (among other things).

There's a lot of stuff there, and I wouldn't touch anything besides the geometry screen. Also, write down all the settings before you start. When you done, you must select save (page 2 of the geometry screen for the changes to stick).

Settings are saved separately for 1080 and 480 (but unfortunately common for 480 p & i, and all inputs). You can change TV inputs while staying in the service menu.

Also, unfortunately, in 1080i mode, there is no vertical position. Only amplitude. Compromises will have to be made (you can adjust the position on the 921 after bringing down the amplitude on the TV).

To get to the service menu:
With the TV OFF press/hold Chan_Down & Vol_Down until the set turns on.

A couple of days ago, we re-booted our 921 for some reason or other and it said it was downloading a software update and since then everything fits perfectly. I thought they corrected this for everyone. Maybe you need to force it to look for new software updates.