922 crashes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

chg

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 9, 2006
I have a 922 that I own. It has started crashing when I try to do anything with it. It will shut down and not try to boot up. After it shuts down, it will be making a loud noise like the fan may be running, but everything stays dark. I then unplug it for awhile. When I plug it back in, it will boot up, and the channels will come back up fine. After about 2 minutes it will shut down again and do the same thing all over again. Even if I don't touch anything.

Anybody have any ideas what could be wrong? Bad hard drive? Overheating? Can't see how it could overheat that quick.

I guess since I have owned it for almost a year and a half I am just out of luck? I do have a 722 that I am having no problems with.

Any advice or ideas are appreciated.

I couldn't say what exactly in the receiver is failing, but my guess would be hard drive. If you send me your phone number or account number in a PM, I can get you details on getting a replacement 922 sent out.

With the protection plan on the account, the replacement would be free

I couldn't say what exactly in the receiver is failing, but my guess would be hard drive. If you send me your phone number or account number in a PM, I can get you details on getting a replacement 922 sent out.

With the protection plan on the account, the replacement would be free

Thanks!

PM sent.

I'm having the same problem with my receiver, except it won't get past the boot up screen and satellite acquisition. I acquires the satellite and then everything goes black and a loud fan comes on. I have to unplug it and plug it back in, but it never works. I'll send you a PM with my info.

I'm having the same problem with my receiver, except it won't get past the boot up screen and satellite acquisition. I acquires the satellite and then everything goes black and a loud fan comes on. I have to unplug it and plug it back in, but it never works. I'll send you a PM with my info.

Sounds like the usual locked up harddrive, its the norm for the 922....PM one of the Dirt members here they can help you out....

A good argument for the Protection Plan. It has paid for itself, several times over since I signed up when it was first offered.

I got my replacement thanks to MattG, and it seems to be working fine.

Very happy with how quickly the replacement 922 arrived.

samething happened to me that weeked, looks like Dish pushed out an uprgrade that messed up my 922 as well. Lost all my recordings (DVR was 75% full), took a week and a hal to get a replacement from Dish ..

Had another 922 fail again today. Lost my 1st one on 6-16-2011 after my original did the complete power off and full fan speed. Then today we lost the replacement unit for this one. We were watching tv and then went to watch a DVR and after hitting play on selected programming - unit FAILED. Only after having this replacement unit for under 5 months. Tech Support suggested that I moved off my Surge unit, so I did, now they are suggesting that its a grounding issue. Hows it become a grounding issue when my 622 has been rock solid with no issues for several years. All plugged into the same Surge unit and same grounding on same antenna. Any ideas?

Had another 922 fail again today. Lost my 1st one on 6-16-2011 after my original did the complete power off and full fan speed. Then today we lost the replacement unit for this one. We were watching tv and then went to watch a DVR and after hitting play on selected programming - unit FAILED. Only after having this replacement unit for under 5 months. Tech Support suggested that I moved off my Surge unit, so I did, now they are suggesting that its a grounding issue. Hows it become a grounding issue when my 622 has been rock solid with no issues for several years. All plugged into the same Surge unit and same grounding on same antenna. Any ideas?

Just to make sure I am reading correct this is your third 922 correct? If you are having this many replacements in such a short time, I would suggest having a technician come out and take a look. To me it sounds like something in the installation is causing the 922's to fail.

Make sure that you are having the electrical / power quality checked - the household AC supply to your 922.

My vip922 crashed last saturday and I called dish sunday morning to see about getting a replacement. They said they would send one right out. I got it yesterday (wednesday) shipped 2nd day air. I can't believe how much I missed it after bringing my vip211 out from the bedroom for a few days. I don't know how I went as long as I did without a dvr before getting the vip922. I can't live without it now. Kudos to dish for helping me out as fast as they did and no charge for new receiver.

My vip922 crashed last saturday and I called dish sunday morning to see about getting a replacement. They said they would send one right out. I got it yesterday (wednesday) shipped 2nd day air. I can't believe how much I missed it after bringing my vip211 out from the bedroom for a few days. I don't know how I went as long as I did without a dvr before getting the vip922. I can't live without it now. Kudos to dish for helping me out as fast as they did and no charge for new receiver.

The features and interface of the 922 is why I'm a Dish customer. I've used a 722 before and just don't like the interface. Doesn't feel "modern" at all to me. Everything about the 922 interface is easy to use for me.

My receiver was working flawlessly since Nov 2010 and I own the unit. About 2 days ago my son was watching tv late at night and he told me that the receiver started downloading a software. Well that was the last time the unit worked like it should. Only last 3 minutes until it goes into the never stopping cycling process. It won't stop until I unplug. So after all the reset process I can watch tv for the same time until the same issue happen again.

I'm pretty mad because I have a lot of programs recorded from current series and I can't transfer them into my external HD. I do that every 2-3 weeks. I can actually transfer like 80% of an 1 hour sd show before the unit fails. I'm waiting for my replacement but is there a was to bypass that cycling process? I just want my recordings... :(

Sorry. Unless you can halt the recycling process , you can't transfer jack squat. Leave it unplugged over night and see if it works in the morning.

...I started experiencing the same issue this evening. Random reboots, 2 sling screes, tv works for a minute, then black screen, nothing on the display and the fan starts running at 100%.

Called dish (don't have DPP) and threatened to cancel if they did not replace the box free of charge (including shipping old one back). They caved. I think it si ridiculous that you should have to pay to return defective equipment that you are leasing...

Almost had my 922 for a year now. Maybe 10 months. Just died this weekend with the symptoms mentioned here. Only stays up for 2 minutes after power on then goes black & high fan speed. I got on chat with dish support. And have a new one coming on Tuesday. Not happy to be losing all my content.

My receiver was working flawlessly since Nov 2010 and I own the unit. About 2 days ago my son was watching tv late at night and he told me that the receiver started downloading a software. Well that was the last time the unit worked like it should. Only last 3 minutes until it goes into the never stopping cycling process. It won't stop until I unplug. So after all the reset process I can watch tv for the same time until the same issue happen again.

I'm pretty mad because I have a lot of programs recorded from current series and I can't transfer them into my external HD. I do that every 2-3 weeks. I can actually transfer like 80% of an 1 hour sd show before the unit fails. I'm waiting for my replacement but is there a was to bypass that cycling process? I just want my recordings... :(

Try unplugging the satellite feed while you are booting it up. I was able to rescue my recordings to an external drive and prevent the unit from restarting by doing that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts