922 getting installed next weekend, have a few questions!

Banilejo

Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
Boston, MA
I've been a cable subscriber for over 15 years, moving into our new house next weekend and am switching to satellite for the first time. Decided to leave cable mainly because I was missing some HD channels Comcast does offer plus I'm really tired of looking at the same archaic, ugly guide and menus for the past 10 years or so.

Timing couldn't have been better, the 922 came out at the same time I wanted to switch so needless to say I'm very excited to have chosen Dish. The UI and expanded storage alone should be a big upgrade for me. Now on to the questions:

- Should I add the ota module? The package I chose comes with locals for Boston area and the list seems very complete. Are there other benefits to getting this? I assume you also need to purchase an antenna and Dish won't include this in the install?

- A while ago I kept hearing how with satellite tv your signal will be very poor (if not gone completely) when there are rain or snow storms, is there any truth to this still? Would I then need the ota to make sure I can tune in to local channels?

- The house currently has a Dish satellite already installed from the previous owners, can I ask the installer to replace it or will they just reuse the existing installation and only change the receiver?

Once I get the unit I'm curious to see if it will come with two remotes like the Dish representative said (regular+ touch pad one), I myself think would prefer the regular remote.

Anyway, thanks for reading and am looking forward to being on his forum and sharing my thoughts/experience with Dish and the 922.

Adding the OTA essentially gives you a few more options and ability to record more shows at once. Natively, the 922 can do two live shows while watching a recorded one. The quality of the OTA HD broadcasts does tend to be a bit better. It's less compressed. You will however need to be within an acceptable range from the transmitters and have a decent antenna. I believe Dish can install the antenna, but I don't think they provide it.

922 only comes with the 2Ghz 32.0 remote. It's a single mode receiver so you'll only be getting one.

I would say that living in a different climate than you (Arizona) I have had very few occasions where I have lost signal. We get some nasty monsoon storms out here and only the worst have done it. Most rain storms and snow storms will not affect your signal. I found that when moving from cable to sat that I experienced fewer issues.

Reusing your current dish all depends. They might have to replace the LNB (Tip), cables, dish, and maybe even the mast itself. They can take care of that so I wouldn't worry much about that.

I've been a cable subscriber for over 15 years, moving into our new house next weekend and am switching to satellite for the first time. Decided to leave cable mainly because I was missing some HD channels Comcast does offer plus I'm really tired of looking at the same archaic, ugly guide and menus for the past 10 years or so.

Timing couldn't have been better, the 922 came out at the same time I wanted to switch so needless to say I'm very excited to have chosen Dish. The UI and expanded storage alone should be a big upgrade for me. Now on to the questions:

- Should I add the ota module? The package I chose comes with locals for Boston area and the list seems very complete. Are there other benefits to getting this? I assume you also need to purchase an antenna and Dish won't include this in the install?

- A while ago I kept hearing how with satellite tv your signal will be very poor (if not gone completely) when there are rain or snow storms, is there any truth to this still? Would I then need the ota to make sure I can tune in to local channels?

- The house currently has a Dish satellite already installed from the previous owners, can I ask the installer to replace it or will they just reuse the existing installation and only change the receiver?

Once I get the unit I'm curious to see if it will come with two remotes like the Dish representative said (regular+ touch pad one), I myself think would prefer the regular remote.

Anyway, thanks for reading and am looking forward to being on his forum and sharing my thoughts/experience with Dish and the 922.

Thanks for all the answers, this helps a lot! may decide to do the OTA to get more recording options.

Looks like I need to look into which antenna to get now.

Adding the OTA essentially gives you a few more options and ability to record more shows at once. Natively, the 922 can do two live shows while watching a recorded one. The quality of the OTA HD broadcasts does tend to be a bit better. It's less compressed. You will however need to be within an acceptable range from the transmitters and have a decent antenna. I believe Dish can install the antenna, but I don't think they provide it.

922 only comes with the 2Ghz 32.0 remote. It's a single mode receiver so you'll only be getting one.

I would say that living in a different climate than you (Arizona) I have had very few occasions where I have lost signal. We get some nasty monsoon storms out here and only the worst have done it. Most rain storms and snow storms will not affect your signal. I found that when moving from cable to sat that I experienced fewer issues.

Reusing your current dish all depends. They might have to replace the LNB (Tip), cables, dish, and maybe even the mast itself. They can take care of that so I wouldn't worry much about that.

May sound stupid.. But why wasn't it named the 912 then. One remote and only real tv2 out is the OTA?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)