922 pros and cons

Even if it was available for free for me, I still wouldn't take the 922. It's just not worth the extra $4/month. If I want sling, I can get a free sling adapter. If I need more hard drive space, I can get an EHD and activate it for free. So besides the cooler looking HD GUI, I just don't see what the big hype is about the 922 anymore.

kappy44 said:
Just confirmed that the 922 will be available to me on both my accounts with a new 2 year commitment.....this customer will jump on it and believe me I am not interested in waiting for a rebate on an add-on sling adapter when I can get it built in on this deal. Both of my accounts in separate states have one 722 and one 211.....now I will have a 722 and 922 at these locations with sling adapter capability to see locals from both, PIP in all locations, etc. ,etc.....works for me!

You would save money by getting the sling adapter instead of the 922. Your extra receiver charge will go from $7 to $17 and DVR fees would go up $4 for each account. $14 *12=$168*2=$336!! You'd save $138 if you got 2 sling adapters/w rebate. just FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Even if it was available for free for me, I still wouldn't take the 922. It's just not worth the extra $4/month. If I want sling, I can get a free sling adapter. If I need more hard drive space, I can get an EHD and activate it for free. So besides the cooler looking HD GUI, I just don't see what the big hype is about the 922 anymore.
I agree. $4mo for sling availability? The sling would have to be a really really big deal to commit to a new 2 year deal and pay more per month. Now if it came with a lighted remote, operated all functions 25% faster than the 722, included 3 inboard sat tuners and 2 OTA tuners then I might bite.

Scherrman said:
I just like about everything with the 922. I like the way it looks and works. I have close to 400 recordings on the 922 and over 30 more on my external hard drive. It's just a sweet machine.

922 is great

Will my Logitech Harmony remote work with the 922?
Scott Greczkowski
I moved my Revue off of my 922 (which it does not work yet with intergration) to my 722K.

I have found one very annoying thing about this firmware update that makes me HATE this box more then even. I tried to pair it will my 722k so I could use the keyboard as a remote control. It found my 722k instantly and then popped up a message on my 722k with a phone number to call DISH and activate the GoogleTV intergration. I dont want the intergration, I just want to use the keyboard as a remote control. Now in the new firmware you can not complete the pairing to a supported DISH Network receiver until you call and activate the $4 a month add on service... a sevice I consider a sham.

This box is more worthless now then it was before the honeycomb upgrade. GRR!

Even with the extra $4 per month, it might be worth the no money up-front for my mother as she has a hard time distinguishing the channels in the current 722 guide. I asked her and she said color channel logos would help. I think the extra $4 is a sad joke, but I may get it for her anyway. That, and the 922 problems are what has kept me from getting one. I've decided to wait until the XiP813 is available to current subs, which could be a LONG time.

It sounds to me like Dish wants to move whatever 922's they have left in anticipation for the XiP813 next year, IMHO. I think Dish is ready to move on beyond the 922, like they did on the 721, and make the XiP the flagship product replacing the 922.

What 922 problems? It seems the problems that everyone talks about are the ones from when it was in beta testing. I haven't had any problems lately or heard of any.

What 922 problems? It seems the problems that everyone talks about are the ones from when it was in beta testing. I haven't had any problems lately or heard of any.
past 6 months are littered with "drive full" messages appearing when users were at 25% or less before, problems with machines being fault on replacement.

One of the things that would annoy me about the thing is having to cursor more ... and I would expect it frustrates Techs too ... you call in for a problem on a 722 that is a settings change in the menu ... on a 722 ... the Tech can say "Hit Menu - 8 - 6 - 1" to adjust the Closed Captions option... with the 922 ... "Hit menu ... now arrow - arrow - arrow over to 'settings' ... now arrow arrow arrow over to 'closed captions' and select the type you want to use"

its more precise, and quicker "Menu 8 - 6 - 1" Four button presses, it could be three times that amount because there are no "quick keys" ... the menu features tiles are all named, with no number displayed to make a quick selection, so you're left arrowing everywhere.

Does the 922's interface look more modern? sure... but would it be more arrowing around than before? Yes to that too.. does it take better advantage of the widescreen option? sure.. but are those options worth 4 bucks more per month ... No.

Regardless of hard drive size ... to "protect" yourself from when you lose recordings (note I said "when" not "if") you're going to have an external hard drive ... so hard drive size doesn't really matter ... you'll be moving things over with either a 922 or 722k unit

Even with the extra $4 per month, it might be worth the no money up-front for my mother as she has a hard time distinguishing the channels in the current 722 guide. I asked her and she said color channel logos would help. I think the extra $4 is a sad joke, but I may get it for her anyway. That, and the 922 problems are what has kept me from getting one. I've decided to wait until the XiP813 is available to current subs, which could be a LONG time.

It sounds to me like Dish wants to move whatever 922's they have left in anticipation for the XiP813 next year, IMHO. I think Dish is ready to move on beyond the 922, like they did on the 721, and make the XiP the flagship product replacing the 922.

Since the XIP 813 will be based on the 922 menus , guides, etc, I think that the 922 will be an orphaned receiver. Which is why it will soon be available for no money down for A class subs. It reminds me of the 721/921 pvrs that were Linux based. They completely abandoned them and moved to the 522 then on to the Vip series of receivers.n A big improvement over all ,but if you had the 721/921pvrs , you were out of luck.

Since the XIP 813 will be based on the 922 menus , guides, etc, I think that the 922 will be an orphaned receiver. Which is why it will soon be available for no money down for A class subs. It reminds me of the 721/921 pvrs that were Linux based. They completely abandoned them and moved to the 522 then on to the Vip series of receivers.n A big improvement over all ,but if you had the 721/921pvrs , you were out of luck.

I think all DISH receivers are based on some form of Linux kernel. When you plug an EHD into a PC, all you see is one giant ext2 partition. The 721/921 being "orphaned" probably had more to do with the capabilities of the chips they are based on. Running Linux probably had nothing to do with it.

I have 4 EHDs hooked up to my 722 via a hub, but can only plug in 1 at a time. I hear the 922 will allow all 4 to be hooked up at the same time. Still not sure it's worth $4 a month. Pretty easy to plug/unplug in my situation. Looking forward to the 813 and/or the sling extender instead.

I'm looking to upgrade from a 622 soon. Been reading a ton of posts on here, but have a couple of questions. Are all of the TV1 outputs on the 922 live at the same time? (can I use HDMI and Component at the same time?) Does TV2 now function like the rest of the dual receivers?

What about on the 722k?

Has anyone ever made a document comparing all of these and other receiver features? If not that would be something cool to have on this site. I would even volunteer to help produce it.

Thanks!

Correct. However, the 721 still had the better Guide and interface. While the subsequent 522 and 625 were better DVR's overall, MOSTLY for the Name Based Recording and certainly because they were properly powered by better chips, the 721 (always under powered) still had the more elegant GUI. You could also change the picture in guide while the guide was still on screen and I liked the different colors for what was currently airing and what is to air and even the red dots looked better and the menu overlay was great and I LOVED the weather overlay that didn't require leaving the programming to that awfully slow Dish Home and all the steps and time it now takes to check the temps for tomorrow. I just avoid Dish Home and I know others who say it is just too slow and a pain to load.

I thought the UI of the 522, 625 and the ViP's were a step down from the 721's. However, I quickly came to prefer the subsequent models ONLY for "smart" DVR's (NBR), but not much else. Sniff. The old 721 did have the better looks on screen. And don't forget the games that were loaded on the 721 :).

I agree with lern4483, I like mine better than a 722 as well. However; to be honest, there is one Con that I really miss with the 922, and that is Manual Timers and DishPass. If you want to record a block of TV on the same network, like from 7 PM to 10 PM, you have to have a Timer for each show, then if you don't want to have an overlap of two timers going off at the same time, you cant have any padding on the timers. A little frustrating, but all-in-all, probably the best Dish box IMHO.

Scott Greczkowski
I moved my Revue off of my 922 (which it does not work yet with intergration) to my 722K.

I have found one very annoying thing about this firmware update that makes me HATE this box more then even. I tried to pair it will my 722k so I could use the keyboard as a remote control. It found my 722k instantly and then popped up a message on my 722k with a phone number to call DISH and activate the GoogleTV intergration. I dont want the intergration, I just want to use the keyboard as a remote control. Now in the new firmware you can not complete the pairing to a supported DISH Network receiver until you call and activate the $4 a month add on service... a sevice I consider a sham.

This box is more worthless now then it was before the honeycomb upgrade. GRR!
If you already have a ViP922 active on your account, then you are already paying the additional $4.00. There will not be a another increase to activate the Logitech Revue on your 722. Since you are already paying the $10.00 DVR Service fee you might as well take advantage of the full Google TV integration. If you have any problems with this at all, please PM me! Thanks!