922 pros and cons

I am upgrading from a 722K to a 922 on Saturday. From this thread, it seems we have established that I will be able to use my Harmony. It also appears that I can backup my 722K recordings to my external hard drive, and restore to the 922.

I am in the process of using the system wizard to transfer my settings from the 722K to my remote. It seems to be taking forever. If I am sucessful, will I be able to restore the 722K settings from the remote to the 922?

Thanks for your help.

But can it be controlled by RF from the Harmony 900 or 1100?
RF universal remotes don't control devices via RF. The communicate via RF with a relay station that converts the signals to IR. The "last mile" will likely always be IR as frequencies vary widely.

Tampa8 said:
Not exactly. An EHD from a 211K for instance will not work on a VIP series DVR, unless you reformat, which of course loses all the recordings. So I understand those that want to know if their recordings will work on a 922....

I will clear this before it goes any farther, even though it probably has, an ehd will go from a 722 to a 922, no problems.

btyko said:
I am upgrading from a 722K to a 922 on Saturday. From this thread, it seems we have established that I will be able to use my Harmony. It also appears that I can backup my 722K recordings to my external hard drive, and restore to the 922.

I am in the process of using the system wizard to transfer my settings from the 722K to my remote. It seems to be taking forever. If I am sucessful, will I be able to restore the 722K settings from the remote to the 922?

Thanks for your help.

Sorry my friend, only the 32.0 remote works with the 922, not the one with the 722. You are starting over from scratch.

Sorry my friend, only the 32.0 remote works with the 922, not the one with the 722. You are starting over from scratch.

That's what I thought. Time to start making a list of all my settings.

Not that I know that the 32.0 remote only works with the 922, does that mean that my 722K remote will not work with the 922?

Not that I know that the 32.0 remote only works with the 922, does that mean that my 722K remote will not work with the 922?

It will work as an IR remote with the 922.

stimpson said:

Sorry, inhouse installer here. Uptraining dish note states only the 32.0 remote will work with the 922.

So if someone has found a way to make the other remotes such as a 21.0 to work with the 922 please let me know.

How ever i will say tge 32.0 has a stronger UHF signal. It reaches much farther than the 21's.

JEFFinINDY said:
If you set up a DLNA server on your home network, whatever channels your server can stream will show up on the 922.

PlayOn is probably the easiest one to set up. It's Windows-only, however. Anyone know of a good one for Mac OS X?

Channels | PlayOn

Thanks too cool!

I only have a Mac. Any programs for Mac??

Sorry, inhouse installer here. Uptraining dish note states only the 32.0 remote will work with the 922.

So if someone has found a way to make the other remotes such as a 21.0 to work with the 922 please let me know.

How ever i will say tge 32.0 has a stronger UHF signal. It reaches much farther than the 21's.

Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation.

How do you stream video via 922 I thought it would only do pictures and music. How do you watch ESPN 360 via DNLA?
Yep. And some people prefer Lexus to Chevy. Some folks prefer flip phones to iPhones. What's so different?

The 922 is a premium machine with premium features (although it's sad that Blockbuster streaming isn't available on day 1 for their flagship receiver, but life goes on). Choice is a great thing.

My experience with the 922 is that it's much more reliable than the 722K was. I had countless botched recordings with the K. I've had at most one or two with the 922. The 922 is also much more responsive, and has DLNA. It's cool to be able to watch Hulu, ESPN3, etc. on the big screen.

btyko said:

Just take a digital picture of the list of your timers. Easier than writing down.

I will clear this before it goes any farther, even though it probably has, an ehd will go from a 722 to a 922, no problems.

Adding that my 922 was installed this past Sunday replacing my old 622. I had no problems connecting the old 622's ehd to the 922. I was able to play old 622 recorded shows on my 922 directly from the ehd, and also transfer a select few shows from the ehd to the 922 without any problems at all.

A couple of questions:
1. Has dual mode now been enabled (for use of TV2 other than Sling)?
2. Is the "home distribution" port (RF out) usable for both TV1 and TV2, like it is on the 622/722/722k.
3. Is the channel 3/4 out on the OTA adaptor completely separate from the home distribution port? In other words, does it give you a third output channel, and what goes out on that channel (TV1, TV2, OTA1, OTA2). I've never seen this explained.

OK, that's actually THREE questions - sorry!
Thanks,
Brad

1. Has dual mode now been enabled (for use of TV2 other than Sling)?

-> Dual mode is now enabled on the 922 and works like it does on the 622/722(k). TV2 plugged into the RF home distro port can watch something different than TV1 when the receiver is in Duo mode. I like that in addition to the physical Duo/Solo button on the receiver, there is also a menu choice to change between duo/solo mode using your remote.

2. Is the "home distribution" port (RF out) usable for both TV1 and TV2, like it is on the 622/722/722k.

-> Yes, both TV1 and TV2 are usable on the RF home distribution port. In modulator setup, you choose the RF channels you want TV1 and TV2 to appear on. I use 31 for TV1 and 41 for TV2 in our home.

3. Is the channel 3/4 out on the OTA adaptor completely separate from the home distribution port? In other words, does it give you a third output channel, and what goes out on that channel (TV1, TV2, OTA1, OTA2). I've never seen this explained.

-> I can't answer this one. I didn't buy an MT2 OTA adapter for the 922 (yet).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)