922 remote antenna question for DIRT

n0qcu

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Earth
DIRT,
I need to move the UHF-2G antenna away from my entertainment center, does Dish have a cable with the correct threads that I could get?

Thanks

It sounds funny, but I would need to have you PM an account number or phone number to look at this. In order for certain accessories to show up, I have to have an account open that shows the equipment in question. Shoot me the PM and I will have word in about 5 minutes.

TonyT@DISH Network said:
I took a look and it just shows a 'kit' for the antenna extension. It doesn't specify threads or anything (might be a universal style kit). Want to give it a shot?

Tony, can u post a link to the kit that ur looking at if that's possible?!

Unfortunately I have it on an internal system, so there is no link (basically account management). I looked briefly online and there is no descriptor for it either. I did ask that the OP let us know if this works for him though. Its a $10 kit.

To be honest, its an attenuator (I think), a piece of coax (maybe), and an adapter (we hope). LOL. I have not seen the kit itself, to be honest and when I was on the phones I never got the same customer twice to 'check in' on how it worked out, and never shipped it for a 922.

Last edited:
Thank Tony,
Got the kit today. It's a 6' piece of coax with a male F connector and a Female F connector on the other end & two clips to "hold" it in the desired location.
Unfortunately it is standard F connectors not a connector that fits the threads on the connector/antenna they used on the 922.

Thanks for letting me know.

I did more research into it, with the help of Matt, and the fitting required is apparently an M10 style. Nothing internal lists that as an available part.

There is something interesting Matt found. Its about the LQI. Try it.

1. Confirm the remote control is linked to the ViP 922 receiver. Linked remotes are shown on the receiver’s System Information screen (accessed by pressing MENU-MENU on a linked remote or SYSTEM INFO on the receiver front panel).
2. Press and hold the SAT button for several seconds on the linked remote until all the mode buttons are lit, then release SAT. The SAT light blinks.
3. Press and hold the Input/Recover button for several seconds until the SAT mode light blinks and then stays lit. Then release the Input/Recover button. The remote control is in LQI mode.
4. Make sure you are at the correct TV viewing location for this remote control (TV1 or TV2).
5. After about five seconds, the remote control will provide feedback on its range to the ViP 922 receiver, as follows:
Three mode buttons are lit
If three or all four mode buttons are lit and the speaker is beeping rapidly, then the remote control is well within reliable operating range.
Two mode buttons are lit
If two mode buttons are lit, you may want to reposition and/or reorient the antenna and extension cable to try to improve range, but remote operation should be adequate from this range.
One mode button is lit
If one mode button or none is lit, the remote may not operate the receiver. Check the connectors and reposition/reorient the antenna and extension cable to improve remote reception.
6. Press any button on the remote control to exit the special LQI mode and return to normal remote operation.

Try this out, let me know what you find. I will check in my little bag of tricks to see if I can find the random part number listed for the extension kit (might be the one sent already, just needing the M10 fittings instead).

Thanks for letting me know.

I did more research into it, with the help of Matt, and the fitting required is apparently an M10 style. Nothing internal lists that as an available part.

There is something interesting Matt found. Its about the LQI. Try it.

1. Confirm the remote control is linked to the ViP 922 receiver. Linked remotes are shown on the receiver’s System Information screen (accessed by pressing MENU-MENU on a linked remote or SYSTEM INFO on the receiver front panel).
2. Press and hold the SAT button for several seconds on the linked remote until all the mode buttons are lit, then release SAT. The SAT light blinks.
3. Press and hold the Input/Recover button for several seconds until the SAT mode light blinks and then stays lit. Then release the Input/Recover button. The remote control is in LQI mode.
4. Make sure you are at the correct TV viewing location for this remote control (TV1 or TV2).
5. After about five seconds, the remote control will provide feedback on its range to the ViP 922 receiver, as follows:
Three mode buttons are lit
If three or all four mode buttons are lit and the speaker is beeping rapidly, then the remote control is well within reliable operating range.
Two mode buttons are lit
If two mode buttons are lit, you may want to reposition and/or reorient the antenna and extension cable to try to improve range, but remote operation should be adequate from this range.
One mode button is lit
If one mode button or none is lit, the remote may not operate the receiver. Check the connectors and reposition/reorient the antenna and extension cable to improve remote reception.
6. Press any button on the remote control to exit the special LQI mode and return to normal remote operation.

Try this out, let me know what you find. I will check in my little bag of tricks to see if I can find the random part number listed for the extension kit (might be the one sent already, just needing the M10 fittings instead).
That's a neat little feature that would be nice if they would tell people about. (I guess you have told people about in now.)
I only get 1 mode button lit. (If it wasn't for the walls and floor in between I am only about 20 feet from the receiver.)

Agree with HIFI on that. It would work except the threading is M10, not standard coax. Where to even find that thread I couldn't say.. Radio Shack possibly, or a home improvement store. Not sure what it is used for other then that.

Agree with HIFI on that. It would work except the threading is M10, not standard coax. Where to even find that thread I couldn't say.. Radio Shack possibly, or a home improvement store. Not sure what it is used for other then that.

I tried googling (is that even a word?) with NO luck for an M10 threaded RF connector.

Tony try MCM electronics online. If anyone would have it they would. I used to work in TV repair and they were the best place for the odd ball connectors etc as well as everything else.

They are like the way Radio Shack used to be back in the day.

MCM Electronics: Home and Pro Audio/Video, Security and Test Equipment

I looked.. Saw nothing, but with regard to your comment about how Radio Shack used to be, I miss those days.. Along with Tandy outlet stores. HEHE. I used to grab an RC car every time I went (and they would break often enough with me behind the 'wheel' that it had to happen every time I went).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the UHF remote for the 922 used a different frequency range than the standard UHF Dish remotes. Basically more like a wireless router, cell phone, or a CB radio, and that the antenna would need to be tuned for that specific frequency/ range of frequencies. Meaning that it would have to be a certain length to work correctly. That being the case adding a piece of coax to it would mean the coax would need to be an exact specific length to correctly keep the antenna tuned to the frequency it works on, and may be the reason of the proprietary connector.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)