922 Sling Issues?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Iphone app changes TV channel.

My only issue seems to be that when I select a show to watch using the iphone app it changes the TV to mirror that show. I can then change the channel on the TV back and can continue viewing the original selected show on the iphone. Watching via the Dish website or using the sling player software does not cause the same issue. Not sure if this is a bug or has something to do with my set-up. Turning on/off shared view does not seem to remedy the issue.

external 722 Hard Drive

Anyone else having problems trying to access info off there external hard drive they used with there 722 with there new VIP 922...

I get an error message saying this drive is configured for another dish account...

HELP

Anyone else having problems trying to access info off there external hard drive they used with there 722 with there new VIP 922...

I get an error message saying this drive is configured for another dish account...

HELP

It is best now to leave the EHD disconnected from the 922 until Dish fixes known problems with them. People who didn't listen have lost recordings for good.

When using sling it cuts off the sides of the image making it a 4x3 image.

it does that to me when im viewing off my iphone. I'm not sure if that's a glitch or its suppose to do that since its doing SD and not HD.

On another note, has anyone found a fix for having to use admin as your password for the iphone sling app? Should I just call up tech support?

Well, I final got my new 922 receiver and all is working fine.

My sling-box never had the firmware downloaded to it. We have noticed that on the 922 you cannot download the firmware and then expect to take it with you to finish the install--in other words installer do no pre download do it the customer home or the customer will have a bad receiver.

It seems that the sling-box firmware is downloaded from the net. This was confirmed by my cable box modem as it showed download in progress after the firmware got installed.

it does that to me when im viewing off my iphone. I'm not sure if that's a glitch or its suppose to do that since its doing SD and not HD.

I think they did it on purpose but it should work like my slingbox and send it as anamorphic widescreen.

Need Help with Sling

After learning to use the password "admin" here, I was able to get my iPhone Sling App. Seems to work perfectly.

Today, followed the link to the older Sling Player app and installed it on my laptop and it seems to work except for the Guide. And it tells me it needs to update the Guide software but it can't connect to the device because it's not supported.

The real problem now seems to be that I cannot connect to my device and Watch Live or watch anything from the DVR when I connect through the DISH web site. I always get a "Can't connect to the Sling device message when I try it through My Account, Dish Remote Access.

The first time I tried it the first day I had the 922 it worked with Firefox on the PC, until Firefox crashed. Now I get the same results with Firefox and with Internet Explorer 8. Both running on Windows 7.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

A clue, maybe: When I click on the DISH icon on the iPhone APP it tells me I don't have any DISH receivers listed and to go to dish.sling.com which takes me to a page where I put in my receiver number and then it says that the machine is not online ... but it is because I can talk to it with both the iPhone App and the old Sling Player. Getting very frustated. Then I went in through My Account, as directed, and clicked on Dish Remote Access on the web and it took me to the same page the iPhone App told me to go to with the same results.

Can someone get this web software fixed!!!

Thanks,

Dale

Last edited:
Scott,​

Sling via Dish Remote Login works intermittently. Sometimes it works and sometimes I get the black screen that says, "There was a problem communicating with your Slingbox. Please try again later." Sometimes simply closing the window and reopening the site gets it to work and other times I keep continually get the same error message. I am connected and can review and set any recordings, just can't watch TV off the 922.​

I also have been unable to Download the Slingplayer Mobile app for my AT&T BlackBerry Bold 9700. Although the app that is available from Sling Media - Home works for my standalone Slingbox Solo it will not allow me to view content off my 922. And, when I go to SlingPlayer Mobile Download I get an error message saying my phone isn't supported. Thank you for your help and working with Dish and Sling to correct these issues.

Last edited:
So I finally got the sling app to work on the iphone but I was wondering if it is possible to watch a show in HD on 3G because it is not giving me the option to.
Thanks
Brad

I had an issue connecting to REmotw Viewing and Weather app and DISh said to disconnect the ethernet, hard reset the receiver, reconnect the ethernet and then press blue "hot key" to get to broadband connection and reset. It was showing green the whole time, but after I did that, I was able to use weather w/o white screen and no longer have communication errors when I try to sling my 922. Maybe those that are having the same issue can try and see if it works for them? I also am using Palm 800w to watch the sling and I was told to log into www.dishnetwork.com, click on Dish Remote Access, then click on "Go Mobile" to create a user name and password so I can get my mobile phone to work.....had to download app from dishm.sling.com.....maybe those that are having password issues did not click on the "Go Mobile" and setup a user name and password?

Well, I just logged into my dish network account to set a timer from work.
After entering dish Remote Access, I saw that the "light" next to my 922 had gone yellow.
Still able to connect to my 722K and 622. This is the first time since getting it installed that I haven't been able to connect to my 922.
I'll have to look into what's going on with it when I get home tonight.

And now the "Light" has gone out completely.
Wondering if my 922 is rebooting?

Last edited:
I believe I figured out the admin password fix. I called both dish and sling tech support. Neither helped, each one did the old "call the other guy" routine. So. Logged into my sling account while on my home network. I was able to access my 922 that way and change the password from admin to something else. I no longer get the invalid password display when connecting through my iPhone. I still however get the invalid password display when accessing through the dish website. A bit annoying but just pressing ok lets you gain access still.

SLing kinda works from dish.sling.com, but a noticable audio/video sync issue comes up.

This happens from SD and HD on both the local network and from a remote network.

Can only Sling in home for 1 minute

Hey Scott & Sling guys,

I have had my 922 since Thursday morning, and I wasn't able to sling on my Mac (2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.6; 6 Mbps down, 2-3 Mbps up) until Friday.

Today though, I have only been able to Sling through Firefox/Safari for about 1 minute, SD or HD. After that, I can't even get the receiver back online for about 10 minutes.

It's frustrating. The Sling looks GREAT for that one minute, then go kaput. Any suggestions would be great!

Couple of Issues

When setting up a timer the 922 reports that it recorded the show but it does not show up in DVR. This has happened on both series & individual recordings.

Sometimes the program guide will hang up and delay for up to ten seconds. This happens when you leave the guide and want to go back to watching a program.

Can't Sling AT ALL

Well, since this morning I haven't been able to Sling anything at all since this morning. My receiver says the connection is fine, it is all green, I can access weather and everything fine, but Dish.Sling.com just gives me the "There was a problem communicating with your Slingbox. Please try again later."

This is frustrating now.

So I got my 922 today. If you've been around dish DVRs you may remember me as the guy that provided a lot of info upgrading the 7100/7200 units.

I'll echo what a lot of people have said that turning the unit off and letting it sit for a while will resolve some of the immediate issues and will take you from "There was a problem communicating" to a more functional state. How functional will depend upon your network setup.

There have been some questions about if the video stream goes up to sling's servers and back down before viewing if you're using a computer in your house. The answer is, it depends.

Based on my testing the following conditions need to happen for it to just traverse only your local network:
a) The 922 and the machine you are trying to watch it on MUST be on the same subnet. If you're trying to use a machine connected to your local network via WiFi it may very well not be on the same subnet depending upon how your network is configured. You can verify that both machines are on the same subnet by gathering the ipaddress and subnet from the 922. You can get this information by pressing the blue shortcut key on your remote. Now find your ip on your computer (varies by OS but you should be able to find it in your network config). Take this information and go to: Online IP Subnet Calculator < SAMURAJ-cz.com Put in the ip and subnet of the 922. The website will return a lot of information but the important one is the "Host Addresses" If your ip address on your computer is in the range then both machines are on the same subnet.

b) The 922 will try to connect to the client machine directly if they are in the same subnet. If you have a firewall on your client machine it will very likely disrupt this connection. Many "personal" firewalls are configured to prompt when an application tries to listen for incoming connections. OS X's built in firewall behaves this way, you may see a prompt pop up very quickly offering you a chance to allow it to do this. But in the case of the Mac, the sling software gives up on this local connection quickly and the prompt closes before you can have a chance to say yes.

Even if you have both machines on the same subnet and there is no firewall interrupting the connection, you may not get a local connection. As I said above, the software gives up quickly on the local connection. I've found that getting that local connection can be hit or miss. If it doesn't get that local connection it will fall back to sending to slings servers and then coming back to you from there.

For those with firewalls the question of ports comes up, since some firewalls are configured simply by the port number. As far as I can tell the port number used is random. There are no consistent set of ports that you can easily configure your firewall to recognize and ok. However, you can configure your firewall to simply allow all connections incoming from your 922. You may be able to configure your DHCP server (included in your router in most cases) to always give the 922 a specific address and then set that address as allowed to everything.

As I play with the slingloaded feature I'll probably get better information as I go.